Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'good Iphone games' thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Temple run is actually pretty great :3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I discovered Temple Run myself last night! Addictive!

But not as addictive as Hero Academy. I love this game but hate what it does to my battery cos I'm constantly on my phone now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Japanese Arcade Rhythm game Jubeat is available for free

but called jukebeat

not easy but very addicting

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Lordhogo

I discovered Temple Run myself last night! Addictive!

But not as addictive as Hero Academy. I love this game but hate what it does to my battery cos I'm constantly on my phone now!

Great call on hero academy. Definitely my new favourite ios game. Even without spending any money you get a great turn based strategy game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Fun roguelike game...

100 rogues

Review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is a great little platform game called Paper Monsters which is free at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone played Waking Mars yet? It's the new game from Tiger Style who did Spider. Have been following Randy Smith's Edge columns on it throughout development, but haven't had a chance to give it a go yet.

I got it (any game where reviews mention my two favourite words - metroid and vania - lands on my radar) but it didn't really grab me. It's got really good reviews so I really should give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Lordhogo

Due to indie developers wanting freedom over how they price their games, there is a sale on until June 1st on over 100 games. http://www.becausewemay.com/

I would highly recommend Frederick and my new favourite Rebuild which has you expanding your city while managing resources and survivors in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. A flash version of it can be played here http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild-2 but I find it a lot better with a touchscreen.

Lost Winds is free for iOS today. I got the Wii version years ago and it's a wonderful game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

missed it , back to full price now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Dunno if it's been posted but Subway Surfers is similar to temple run, its fun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The wonderful Mushimesama Futari has just been released on iOS, newly entitled as the easier to pronounce Bug Princess 2:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've heard good things about the Chaos Rings series.

Can anyone tell me which is the best to go for (1, Omega or 2)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I think New Star Soccer is worth a mention in this thread. It plays like a football management sim from the late 80s or early 90s. The matches are interactive too but only when the ball is played to your character.

The app is free but it is €0.79 to open up the career mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I think New Star Soccer is worth a mention in this thread. It plays like a football management sim from the late 80s or early 90s. The matches are interactive too but only when the ball is played to your character.

Downloaded the trial on a recommendation from a mate a few weeks ago, after 10 games in career it prompts you to pay the €0.79 for the full career and I had absolutely no hesitation in doing so.

It's kind of like Jumpers 4 Goalposts if anyone ever played that web-game, the way you play the ball is different (better imo) but it's similar in that you start in the Conference (or similar league worldwide) and build your stats and career along the way, having to maintain relationships with your boss, team-mates, fans and girlfriend. You buy things like property, cars, clothes and jewellery which increase your happiness and effect your recovery between matches.

The game is absolutely addicting. Took over my life for the first few days, now I use it whenever I need to kill time. It's brilliant.

from the bargain alerts link

100 atari games collection, normally €7.99 , now free for the day i believe

Looks that way, cheers. When you run it, you get a message that says to celebrate Atari's 40th Anniversary, all games are free to play as long as you don't uninstall/reinstall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

this is 'Atari's Greatest Hits' ?

Yup. You download the core app, then you need to download what games you want from inside the app.

• Advertisement

i have downloaded it using itunes on my work pc (using my account) , I will not have my own iphone back till tomorrow or monday , and have just being using icloud to back up my phone. will the game appear on the iphone after the next interaction with icloud , or will i have to connect with pc i downloaded the app ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Picked that up last night! Good craic

Most of the Cave stuff is on sale for the next few days. Trying to decide which one I should pick up for my iPad.

Most of the Cave stuff is on sale for the next few days. Trying to decide which one I should pick up for my iPad.

Bug Princess 1 and 2 are amongst the best, most addictive Cave games, and both are relatively kind to newcomers but challenging enough for veterans! Death Smiles is the most accessible if you don't have that for 360. Also think it's probably the most feature packed iOS port. The HD versions of Espgaluda and DoDonPachi will look nicest on the iPad, but you certainly pay for that privilege and they're much more convoluted games...

It's a tough one to call, and will differ with each player, but I'd go with the Bug Princess'!

Went with Bug Princess 2. Jesus, these games are mental. I have absolutely no idea what's going on most of the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Lordhogo wrote: »
    Great call on hero academy. Definitely my new favourite ios game. Even without spending any money you get a great turn based strategy game.

This is being promoted on STEAM now, they have a TF2 team !
    Apparently has cross platform play . iOS vrs PC etc

http://store.steampowered.com/app/209270/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If anyone is into the card game Dominion, there's a good version of it available on iPhone/Android called Androminion. Great for whiling away time on the jacks, or in between turns of Civ V's late game AI nastiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Picked this up for Android.

It developed from "This is nothing like a FM sim, wtf is this crap" to "I actually need to sleep now..."

I'm not sure if I like it but I'll be damned if I stop playing it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Decided I'd pick up Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions.

"Expensive" (but only in iOS terms), controls are a bit iffy, text is a bit small... yet I still like it :)

• Advertisement

I have to mention Slydris - I've been playing very little else since downloading it earlier in the week (it was ipad only, but recently went universal).

Its a bit like tetris (with no rotation, and you can move any piece horizontally if there is room available). Don't let the tetris variant 'tag' put you off, though.... it is a very deep puzzle game with tremendous strategy (planning several moves in advance) needed to get deep into the game. You really start to pay attention to upcoming pieces and arrange the board accordingly.

It has 3 modes (the 2 main ones are shown in the trailer below) and they both play very differently. It also has amazing music (best enjoyed with headphones).

Some reviews (if you still need persuading):
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-31-app-of-the-day-slydris
    http://kotaku.com/slydris/
    http://www.gamezebo.com/games/slydris/review
    http://toucharcade.com/2012/08/06/slydris-for-ipad-review/

Advertisement