Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'good Iphone games' thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Has anyone played Bad Piggies? I'm wondering how it runs on the iPhone 3GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Has anyone played Bad Piggies? I'm wondering how it runs on the iPhone 3GS.

I have, my god... so hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK a few new ones I've been playing lately.

Polara is another running game, but the core game is level based rather than endless, and there is good variety (and a good story) across the 50 levels. There are two controls - tap the right side of the screen to jump and tap the left side to switch polarity between blue and red. While red, you can run through red hazards (and blue will kill you), and viceversa while blue. A similar mechanic to Ikaruga or Outland. There is lots of content for your money here - 50 regular levels, extra challenges (collecting letters, hard-to-reach emblems, and flawless runs on unlocked levels), 6 new modes to unlock (including endless). Also on Android.

Rayman Jungle Run is another level-based auto-running game, with mainly one touch controls (two on the last world). The main game isn't too hard (with a few difficulty spikes throughout), but there is an extremely challenging level that can be unlocked at the end of each world. Well worth the investment. Also on Android. Oh and good luck with the achievements ... finish the game without dying? Yikes...

Zookeeper DX is Apple's App of the Week (i.e. Free...)

Fantastic game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Mr E wrote: »
    I have to mention Slydris - I've been playing very little else since downloading it earlier in the week (it was ipad only, but recently went universal).

Got it last night, its okay, nothing amazing
    Zookeeper DX is Apple's App of the Week (i.e. Free...)

Fantastic game.

Plays exactly like Bejewelled, match 3 of the same thing . Average at best.

The skill comes from keeping chains going. You don't have to wait for all chains to finish before doing the next one (like Bejeweled).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I think New Star Soccer is worth a mention in this thread. It plays like a football management sim from the late 80s or early 90s. The matches are interactive too but only when the ball is played to your character.

The app is free but it is €0.79 to open up the career mode.

You fuppin wastard...... I rarely play games or have the attention span to stay at a game but this is probably the best game or app I've ever played.

I could not recommend it enough. It's so smartly developed and addictive, you forget about the gameboy graphics!

I'd also like to apologise if you download it :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Yeah new star soccer is pretty damn good I must say. Downloaded it after reading this thread the last night and hooked since! Poor phone doesnt last more than a few hours!

Tilt to live is free on iphone today. One of my favourite games on the platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Tilt to live is free on iphone today. One of my favourite games on the platform.

Good shout. I love this game. There has been a ton of content added since it was first released. The 'Red Alert' mode is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

BrianJD wrote: »
    You fuppin wastard...... I rarely play games or have the attention span to stay at a game but this is probably the best game or app I've ever played.

I could not recommend it enough. It's so smartly developed and addictive, you forget about the gameboy graphics!

I'd also like to apologise if you download it :D

Damn you!!! :mad:
    Yakult wrote: »
    Yeah new star soccer is pretty damn good I must say. Downloaded it after reading this thread the last night and hooked since! Poor phone doesnt last more than a few hours!

Bought New Star Soccer after reading about it on this thread and I'm now hopelessly addicted to it. First game I've ever played on my phone where suddenly my battery has died... really has that "just one more match" syndrome.

Also never accept bribes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Damn you!!! :mad:

Bought New Star Soccer after reading about it on this thread and I'm now hopelessly addicted to it. First game I've ever played on my phone where suddenly my battery has died... really has that "just one more match" syndrome.

Also never accept bribes :(

i am a good few years into it, i have never accepted the bribes , but have been tempted !

2smiggy wrote: »
    i am a good few years into it, i have never accepted the bribes , but have been tempted !

I was only in my second year and wanted to see what would happen.
    It turned out to be a scam set by the paper who splashed it all over the headlines meaning my 100% rating with my boss, team and fans went dropped by 90%, my girlfriend dumped me and my sponsers dropped me.

The most annoying thing of the whole debacle was even I though I accepted the bribe I actually scored a hat-trick in the match and got a 10 mark so never even got the bribe money :rolleyes:

Big Lose:Lose situation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I was only in my second year and wanted to see what would happen.
    It turned out to be a scam set by the paper who splashed it all over the headlines meaning my 100% rating with my boss, team and fans went dropped by 90%, my girlfriend dumped me and my sponsers dropped me.

The most annoying thing of the whole debacle was even I though I accepted the bribe I actually scored a hat-trick in the match and got a 10 mark so never even got the bribe money :rolleyes:

Big Lose:Lose situation!!

:eek: , i was tempted , as the offers kept getting bigger and bigger !

2smiggy wrote: »
    :eek: , i was tempted , as the offers kept getting bigger and bigger !

It really made me sad though as I had won the division title the previous season and had made great start to the new season so was looking forward to a march up the divisions.

On the plus side I was transferred out later that season to a championship club where I'm now on more money etc

I still get offered money every now and again... suppose they think once a cheater always a cheater although lesson learned the hard way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

A load of apps are free today or reduced on Appstore in attempt to get high in the charts before it shuts down.

The list of games are on Reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Appstore is shutting down ?

They don't do any updates over the Christmas period. You can still access it and download from it.

15 chillingo games going for free now.

• ORC: Vengeance
    • Endless Road
    • Pony Trails
    • Sky Hero
    • Commando Jack
    • Spice Bandits
    • Storm The Train
    • Zooniverse
    • Super Knights
    • Critter Escape
    • Word Derby
    • Madcoaster
    • Pocket Festival
    • Air Vacation
    • The Last Driver

http://kotaku.com/5969358/chillingo-lines-up-15-free-ios-games-for-the-holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It's always been faintly ridiculous to me that the prestige piece of Apple's whole iOS platform shuts down for Christmas like a mom-and-pop grocery store.

Surely Apple and all their billions can afford to at least keep a skeleton staff over the holidays so that the whole app store isn't frozen over during the peak time of the year for convenience sales?

It's always been clear the App Store is valuable as a selling point for Apple, far more than it is as a way of earning money, but this sort of behaviour is still pretty bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Syferus wrote: »
    It's always been faintly ridiculous to me that the prestige piece of Apple's whole iOS platform shuts down for Christmas like a mom-and-pop grocery store.

Surely Apple and all their billions can afford to at least keep a skeleton staff over the holidays so that the whole app store isn't frozen over during the peak time of the year for convenience sales?

It's always been clear the App Store is valuable as a selling point for Apple, far more than it is as a way of earning money, but this sort of behaviour is still pretty bizarre.
    OR they could let their staff enjoy a damn holiday? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Wordament is out now on iOS. With Xbox achievements too, a first for iOS. Free too.

Fun online boggle-like game. I think it's the only game that I've got achievements in on 3 platforms: WP, Windows 8 and now iOS :o

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    OR they could let their staff enjoy a damn holiday? :)

Which would make some sense if it wasn't the biggest digital store on the planet or the fact their far smaller competitors are well able to cope with continuing to provide basic services. The App Store freeze hamstrings many, many small developers from utilising their only revenue stream at the key time of the year for new purchases (outside launches, obviously).

Do you really think that there aren't staff perfectly willing to do the job anywhere in the world? Christmas is big but not so big that the entire world grinds to a halt because of it.

Syferus wrote: »
    The App Store freeze hamstrings many, many small developers from utilising their only revenue stream at the key time of the year for new purchases (outside launches, obviously).

Not totally fair. They stifle developers throughout the rest of the year too. It takes an average of 8 business days between submitting an app/update, and that app/update appearing in the App Store.

If developers want something to be in the App Store for Christmas, they need to submit it around December 10th. Pausing the update process during Christmas week won't affect developers who plan in advance.

I don't just mean the approvals process - a developer can't even alter the price of their own games until the freeze is lifted. That they can't even provide a service as simple as that through the holidays is a pretty poor show by such a large company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Back on topic:

Cave winter sale!

Bought DeathSmiles, thinking about DoDonPachi MAXIMUM (the demo impressed me most of their shmups).

Also got SNK's Blazing Star for 99c.

Mutant Mudds is free on iOS today and tomorrow.

http://toucharcade.com/2013/01/31/freebie-alert-12-bit-platformer-mutant-mudds-free-for-today-and-tomorrow/

I paid full whack for this on DSiWare and it's a brilliant platformer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone playing / played Joe Danger Touch? Really well handled reimagining of the series for touch screen. Could probably have used a few more hard levels and less emphasised micro-transactions - they have no place in a game I've already paid for - but it's compulsive fun while it lasts. A good few hours play for less than three euro!

• Advertisement

Yeah, JDT is an excellent game - I enjoyed it more than the PS3 version, I think.
    Some serious swiping and tapping needed on later levels!

Advertisement