Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cao help-Media arts/Journalism

Options
  • 19-06-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi, im doing my CAO at the min and was looking for some advice. Whcih course would be better to become a media/Tv researcher, media arts or journalism?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd reckon media arts.

The television work in that course is a lot more than in the journalism one (at least, the one I did).

In media arts, the students get at the cameras from the start.

In journalism, we only got to them in second year and did nothing in third year. In fourth year, we will have to choose between broadcast or print but I don't know what the split between radio and television is in broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

thanks for replying:)
    much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

LovexxLife wrote: »
    thanks for replying:)
    much appreciated
    Hey I've just finished 2nd yr in Media Arts. Any questions you have, feel free to PM me.

thanks for the offer but i wont need any advice on media arts because i found out they wont accept german instead of french for the requirements but thanks tho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

thanks for the offer but i wont need any advice on media arts because i found out they wont accept german instead of french for the requirements but thanks tho
    You're the first year where that is the case I'm afraid. The school of media and the school of languages don't see eye to eye on a lot of things and people doing anything but French and Irish are at a disadvantage

• Advertisement

yea so looks like it just journalism that i have the option of doing in dit unless i do media studies or multimedia in maynooth or dcu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Hang on, you want to be a media researcher? Journalism all the way. If you wanted to be a camera operator or children's tv presenter I'd have pointed towards media arts, but for a researcher you're talking journalism hands down.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Hang on, you want to be a media researcher? Journalism all the way. If you wanted to be a camera operator or children's tv presenter I'd have pointed towards media arts, but for a researcher you're talking journalism hands down.
    yep a media researcher!
    Ok so journalism it is!
    Also does dit have a better journalism course than dcu?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

yep a media researcher!
    Ok so journalism it is!
    Also does dit have a better journalism course than dcu?

Biased... but DIT all the way. But do a search on here for the topic of journalism, this has been debated a fair bit before. As far as I can see, DCU keep making their course easier so it's more appealing but less worthwhile.

Advertisement