Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird watching on off shore islands

Options
  • 15-06-2010 8:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Tarsna wrote: »
    Hello

Im new to this site and enjoy photography. I took a trip to Saltee Island this week.............ive posted lots of pictures on my blog that you might like to see.

Theres also a visit to Ballydoyle....and a few garden birds

http://harringtonphotos.blogspot.com/

Stunning photographs but I'm still not happy about the number of unsupervised visits to the Saltees during the breeding season. Just because nice photographs can be obtained does not mean it is desirable that people wander all over the island to get them. I was on a ringing expedition there in the late 1970s and the level of gull predation/general mayhem on the cliffs caused by our presence was very worrying. Why in 2010 is this very important seabird colony still wardenless - or is it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tarsna

I can see your point

Im sure if you were ringing birds your level of intrusion would be far higher than someone with a 400mm lens. taking pictures of birds on the cliffs.

Im pleased to say during the course of the day I never saw one single gull take a baby bird.

The only birds I got truely close too were those on the edge of the gannet colony.........not one bird moved from a nest because of this.

You can see from the photos of the photographers the distances they were from the birds. The Puffins we got close to actually landed beside us by choice.

Infact I wasnt aware of any birds moving off the nests because of our presence....most took no notice at all.

All people I saw on the Island acted in a responble way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Stunning photographs but I'm still not happy about the number of unsupervised visits to the Saltees during the breeding season. Just because nice photographs can be obtained does not mean it is desirable that people wander all over the island to get them. I was on a ringing expedition there in the late 1970s and the level of gull predation/general mayhem on the cliffs caused by our presence was very worrying. Why in 2010 is this very important seabird colony still wardenless - or is it?
    Ireland's eye has the same problem. I remember when I was there one time a group of people went over a picked up a Great black backed gull chick for a photo.:mad: The parents( gull) started dive bombing them then. Pity they didn't get their heads pecked open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ireland's eye has the same problem. I remember when I was there one time a group of people went over a picked up a Great black backed gull chick for a photo.:mad: The parents( gull) started dive bombing them then. Pity they didn't get their heads pecked open.

I never was on Ireland's Eye despite doing the bulk of my serious birdwatching in the Greater Dublin area (about 30 years ago) - as even then it had a reputation for unsavoury goings on such as cider parties and general thuggery. I don't know its legal status but it is another location that, in my opinion, should have reserve status and wardening during the breeding season.

The Birdwatch Ireland (South Dublin Branch) website here: http://www.birdweb.net/irelandseye.html seeks to actively encourage people to wander about in the midst of the seabird colonies - with this amazing piece of advice 'It is good policy to stick to the trodden paths as it is only too easy to walk on well camouflaged chicks or eggs.'

Elsewhere on the net, http://www.islandferries.net/ states the following: 'A trip to Irelands Eye is ideal for youth groups, summer projects, birthday parties for children, walking clubs or indeed any groups. Children's groups are most welcome once they are supervised by their group leaders.Evening trips are available by arrangement for corporate groups and walking clubs etc'

It is almost unbelievable how backward the Republic of Ireland is when it comes to nature conservation. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The above posts have been moved from the picture thread. I've struggled to make up a suitable title :)

Anyone with a better suggestion of thread title please pm me.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Tarsna wrote: »
    I can see your point

Im sure if you were ringing birds your level of intrusion would be far higher than someone with a 400mm lens. taking pictures of birds on the cliffs.

Im pleased to say during the course of the day I never saw one single gull take a baby bird.

The only birds I got truely close too were those on the edge of the gannet colony.........not one bird moved from a nest because of this.

You can see from the photos of the photographers the distances they were from the birds. The Puffins we got close to actually landed beside us by choice.

Infact I wasnt aware of any birds moving off the nests because of our presence....most took no notice at all.

All people I saw on the Island acted in a responble way

Hi Tarsna,

Weasel words I am afraid.

Photos of birds at the nest, nestlings and chicks (and links to same) are banned on many forums. <snip>

You may be responsible and have good telephoto gear. However some plonker with a LIDL point 'n' shoot may be inspired to trample through the breedingcolonies to replicate your photos, and you have kindly told him/her exactly where to go.

It's irresponsible, and it's not doing anything for the birds. <snip>

They're good photos.

<snip>

LostCovey

Mod note. Please use report button and outline your issue with a post. Doing this is very helpful.
    The red triangle at bottom left of the post.

• Advertisement

Having spoken to a senior figure in Irish birdwatching circles in recent days I was quite alarmed to hear about the level of human predation of some seabird colonies - egg collecting - and the link below, while a couple of years old, illustrates this. Another reason that seabird colonies/sanctuaries need serious protection measures.

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/an-oological-obsession-ends-in-jail-120961.html

Some idea of the scale of this man's 'obsession' can be seen here: http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=1301

This disturbing report from The Times of London about the Copeland Islands which is wardened! :(
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6268304.ece

May 12, 2009

Egg thieves hit Copelands’ dwindling colony of Black-headed Gulls

David Sharrock in the Copeland Islands

Any day now the dwindling colony of Black-headed Gulls nesting on the Copeland Islands, off Northern Ireland’s east coast, will receive an unwelcome visitor as thieves arrive to rob their valuable eggs.

But this year the police will be waiting for them as they attempt to stop the illegal sale of the eggs to some of the country’s top restaurants.

The short season during which gulls’ eggs are on the menu in London gentlemen’s clubs and the capital’s fashionable restaurants is in full swing. “The Black-headed Gull’s egg is a thing of joy and beauty,” says Fergus Henderson, chef at the St John bar and restaurant in Smithfield.

Marco Pierre White has extolled the virtues of gulls’ eggs in his television series Marco’s Great British Feast. Every year Natural England, the countryside and management agency, grants special licences to just 26 people to harvest gulls’ eggs from six specific sites.

A traditional food before the Protection of Birds Act was introduced in 1954, forbidding the taking of their eggs from the wild, the eggs are a culinary novelty at this time of year. They sell for around £6 each.

But the practice is controversial and, in the case of the Copelands colony, potentially fatal.

Inhabited until the 1950s, the Copelands are internationally recognised as an important breeding centre for seabirds, but this pristine wild environment, just off the North Down coast at Donaghadee, is under attack from robbers. “The colony has collapsed in the last five years,” said Neville McKee, a scientist long fascinated by the islands.

Professional criminals are stealing them from legally protected but, because of their remoteness, vulnerable locations around the British Isles where the birds seek isolation to raise their chicks. The Copelands is just one, if not the most extreme example.

Volunteers from the Copeland Bird Observatory and the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds have counted just 200 pairs of Black-headed Gulls arriving this year to nest — fewer than a quarter of the traditional colony.

“They don’t really like their eggs being stolen, they get fed up of losing them so they stop coming here,” Mr McKee said.

There are no licences granted in Northern Ireland to harvest the eggs. In recent years about 3,000 eggs have been stolen from the Copelands during the month when Black-headed Gulls are laying. But other species are also affected, including Arctic terns, which arrive in the British Isles from Antarctica to spend the summer. Mr McKee believes that their eggs are passed off as plover eggs. “In any case whoever is doing this is simply taking all the eggs they can find. They’re not making any distinctions.

“The birds lay twice and only a second time if the first attempt fails. What we’ve found is that the thieves are emptying the nests, then coming back a week later when they can be sure that there will be a fresh batch of perfect eggs to steal.”

Philip McNamara, a local boatman with an intimate knowledge of the islands, said: “The thieves just toss all the eggs out of the nests on their first visit, they don’t care what damage they do. That way when they come back a second time they are guaranteed a good collection.”

Such is the alarm at the disappearance of the gulls from the Copelands that police visited the island last week and launched a campaign, urging public vigilance. “We do believe that it’s an organised group doing this, which is then providing the eggs to restaurants,” Constable Susan Farr said.

“The theft of these protected eggs presents the very real prospect of the seabird colony on the Copeland Islands being wiped out,” Inspector Stephen Macauley said.

“I would ask the local community, particularly those in maritime activity, to be vigilant. Any suspicious activity in or around the islands should be reported to us. The penalty for anyone found guilty of the theft of protected eggs is a maximum of £5,000 per egg.”

He added: “Volunteer staff at Copeland Bird Observatory have worked tirelessly to provide a safe habitat for many different species of birds and it is devastating to see their dedicated work ruined by callous thieves who seem to have no comprehension of the damage they are inflicting.”

The Black-headed Gull has been given “amber status” by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds because its numbers have halved over the past 20 years.

Ian West, head of investigations at the RSPB, said: “There is concern that legal trade in products of threatened species can mask the illegal trade. How does the consumer tell the difference?

“Is it appropriate that an amber-listed species of conservation concern such as the Black-headed Gull in England be subject to the legal taking of thousands of eggs a year under a special licence? It must have an impact.”

For Fergus Henderson and other chefs promoting traditional foods the prospect of a total ban on the harvesting of gulls’ eggs would be a serious blow. “It’s a very short moment, but a brilliant celebration of a British seasonal moment.

“It’s a lovely way to start lunch, a glass of champagne and a gull’s egg with celery salt. There will always be under-the-counter gulls’ eggs.”

But while Copeland’s endangered colony would certainly benefit, Neville McKee is among those who remain to be convinced that a total ban is the right course of action. “Thousands of eggs used to be harvested when the islands were inhabited. But it was done on a sustainable basis then.”

A link for the Copeland Bird Observatory here - it looks like a little bit of paradise. http://www.cbo.org.uk/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It is almost unbelievable how backward the Republic of Ireland is when it comes to nature conservation. :(
    much as i'd love to see an unmolested bird colony on ireland's eye, i can't see any way you could create one on an island which is a short boat ride off a city as big as dublin.

much as i'd love to see an unmolested bird colony on ireland's eye, i can't see any way you could create one on an island which is a short boat ride off a city as big as dublin.

By restricting access to the island as a whole and placing certain areas completely off limit except under supervision. By wardening during the breeding season a worthwhile, controlled visitor attraction could be developed rather than the present free-for-all that prevails. It has been done all over the UK for decades - why do we always have to be 50 years behind the times? The RSPB milestones link here really shows up how we are lagging behind: http://www.rspb.org.uk/about/history/milestones.asp

From further research it appears that the island belongs to the Gaisford-St.Lawrence family of Howth Castle http://www.howthcastle.ie/ and perhaps it is time that it was taken into public ownership?

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) administered, Ramsey Island, off the Pembrokeshire coast in west Wales http://www.ramseyisland.com/ is a good example of how commerce and wildlife can happily coexist

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

This disturbing report from The Times of London about the Copeland Islands which is wardened! :(
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6268304.ece

May 12, 2009

Egg thieves hit Copelands’ dwindling colony of Black-headed Gulls

David Sharrock in the Copeland Islands

Any day now the dwindling colony of Black-headed Gulls nesting on the Copeland Islands, off Northern Ireland’s east coast, will receive an unwelcome visitor as thieves arrive to rob their valuable eggs.

But this year the police will be waiting for them as they attempt to stop the illegal sale of the eggs to some of the country’s top restaurants.

The short season during which gulls’ eggs are on the menu in London gentlemen’s clubs and the capital’s fashionable restaurants is in full swing. “The Black-headed Gull’s egg is a thing of joy and beauty,” says Fergus Henderson, chef at the St John bar and restaurant in Smithfield.

Marco Pierre White has extolled the virtues of gulls’ eggs in his television series Marco’s Great British Feast. Every year Natural England, the countryside and management agency, grants special licences to just 26 people to harvest gulls’ eggs from six specific sites.

A traditional food before the Protection of Birds Act was introduced in 1954, forbidding the taking of their eggs from the wild, the eggs are a culinary novelty at this time of year. They sell for around £6 each.

But the practice is controversial and, in the case of the Copelands colony, potentially fatal.

Inhabited until the 1950s, the Copelands are internationally recognised as an important breeding centre for seabirds, but this pristine wild environment, just off the North Down coast at Donaghadee, is under attack from robbers. “The colony has collapsed in the last five years,” said Neville McKee, a scientist long fascinated by the islands.

Professional criminals are stealing them from legally protected but, because of their remoteness, vulnerable locations around the British Isles where the birds seek isolation to raise their chicks. The Copelands is just one, if not the most extreme example.

Volunteers from the Copeland Bird Observatory and the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds have counted just 200 pairs of Black-headed Gulls arriving this year to nest — fewer than a quarter of the traditional colony.

“They don’t really like their eggs being stolen, they get fed up of losing them so they stop coming here,” Mr McKee said.

There are no licences granted in Northern Ireland to harvest the eggs. In recent years about 3,000 eggs have been stolen from the Copelands during the month when Black-headed Gulls are laying. But other species are also affected, including Arctic terns, which arrive in the British Isles from Antarctica to spend the summer. Mr McKee believes that their eggs are passed off as plover eggs. “In any case whoever is doing this is simply taking all the eggs they can find. They’re not making any distinctions.

“The birds lay twice and only a second time if the first attempt fails. What we’ve found is that the thieves are emptying the nests, then coming back a week later when they can be sure that there will be a fresh batch of perfect eggs to steal.”

Philip McNamara, a local boatman with an intimate knowledge of the islands, said: “The thieves just toss all the eggs out of the nests on their first visit, they don’t care what damage they do. That way when they come back a second time they are guaranteed a good collection.”

Such is the alarm at the disappearance of the gulls from the Copelands that police visited the island last week and launched a campaign, urging public vigilance. “We do believe that it’s an organised group doing this, which is then providing the eggs to restaurants,” Constable Susan Farr said.

“The theft of these protected eggs presents the very real prospect of the seabird colony on the Copeland Islands being wiped out,” Inspector Stephen Macauley said.

“I would ask the local community, particularly those in maritime activity, to be vigilant. Any suspicious activity in or around the islands should be reported to us. The penalty for anyone found guilty of the theft of protected eggs is a maximum of £5,000 per egg.”

He added: “Volunteer staff at Copeland Bird Observatory have worked tirelessly to provide a safe habitat for many different species of birds and it is devastating to see their dedicated work ruined by callous thieves who seem to have no comprehension of the damage they are inflicting.”

The Black-headed Gull has been given “amber status” by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds because its numbers have halved over the past 20 years.

Ian West, head of investigations at the RSPB, said: “There is concern that legal trade in products of threatened species can mask the illegal trade. How does the consumer tell the difference?

“Is it appropriate that an amber-listed species of conservation concern such as the Black-headed Gull in England be subject to the legal taking of thousands of eggs a year under a special licence? It must have an impact.”

For Fergus Henderson and other chefs promoting traditional foods the prospect of a total ban on the harvesting of gulls’ eggs would be a serious blow. “It’s a very short moment, but a brilliant celebration of a British seasonal moment.

“It’s a lovely way to start lunch, a glass of champagne and a gull’s egg with celery salt. There will always be under-the-counter gulls’ eggs.”

But while Copeland’s endangered colony would certainly benefit, Neville McKee is among those who remain to be convinced that a total ban is the right course of action. “Thousands of eggs used to be harvested when the islands were inhabited. But it was done on a sustainable basis then.”

A link for the Copeland Bird Observatory here - it looks like a little bit of paradise. http://www.cbo.org.uk/

This is indeed extremely disturbing with many Common and Black-headed colonies already under pressure or wiped out thanx to Mink predation on many of the larger lakes in the West. The types promoting this practice should be ashamed of themselves since they are in the same league as the ignorant people driving the Rhino-horn/Tiger bone trade that has these species on the edge of extinction. In light of this the law need to adopt a zero tolerance approach and wardening efforts need to be stepped up at vulnerable colonies ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

I think some sub-human b**tard egg collector cleaned out the Roseate tern colony in Lady's island a few years back:mad:

They did indeed but I think they got caught back in the UK by the RSPB and police - no doubt the jail sentence was only the maximum 6 months - still a damn sight more than they would have got here.

Advertisement