Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record number of people sitting LC

• 19-06-2010 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

i was wondering if anyone knew any figures or anything on these people,

my question is would the majority of these people , many who are mature students be doing honours maths as opposed to pass maths?

thanks if anyone can help

also i hope this is okay to ask here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

metalfest wrote: »

my question is would the majority of these people , many who are mature students be doing honours maths as opposed to pass maths?

I know there's a 10% increase in college applications

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I would imagine the increase is lagely due to the lack of jobs i.e. people who would have left after junior cert to do a trade etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

thanks,
    i know it's possibly still early days to be worried about the change in points,
    but my course went up 55 last year due to cut places,
    but an honour in maths is needed and i'm trying to assess if this increase in applicants will affect me much compared to the people that would have been doing the lc anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

thanks,
    but an honour in maths is needed and i'm trying to assess if this increase in applicants will affect me much compared to the people that would have been doing the lc anyway
    I thought they can only bring people down in the subjects where their's a subjective aspect to it? Like in history, one examiner might give a b1 for an essay and another examiner an A1. With maths it's either write or wrong, no?

thanks,
    My advice is not to worry about it now. You're (nearly?) done your exams now and you can't tell what the points will be until offers. Enjoy your summer and what will be will be. Besides you'll never be able to calculate who's doing what level maths and who's applying for your course. All you can do is wait and see :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

"these people"? As is...uhm... all us LCers?:P

theowen wrote: »
    I thought they can only bring people down in the subjects where their's a subjective aspect to it? Like in history, one examiner might give a b1 for an essay and another examiner an A1. With maths it's either write or wrong, no?

no no , I mean as in people who are eligible for the course.
    like as in more people doing honours maths means no people who can do the course, or at least apply for it

My advice is not to worry about it now. You're (nearly?) done your exams now and you can't tell what the points will be until offers. Enjoy your summer and what will be will be. Besides you'll never be able to calculate who's doing what level maths and who's applying for your course. All you can do is wait and see :)

cheers, yeah finished thursday so my mind is wandering a bit as i can taste the freedom, but i'm trying to stay focussed on the exams

Interzone wrote: »
    "these people"? As is...uhm... all us LCers?:P

yep haha, planning on not counting english, which should come as no surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I think there's something like an additional 3-4 thousand people siting the LC this year.I wouldn't worry about them though.Not trying to be scab but like i've said before anyone who has decided this year to aply to the cao instead of going into a trade isn't going to do all that well.Now I know that's not the case with everyone but a large majority of that 3-4 thousand extra applicants will be applying to I.Ts and the likes so if you're applying to a course in the university the only note worthy increase in points will more than likly only come from the increase in mature applicants which I think is only <1000 to what they had last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

Supposedly it's something like 59,000 people sitting the LC this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Heh the post two above seems to be dead on.

Fellas I was in school with((before moving to a grind school for 5th adn 6th))who would have in normal circumstances dropped out are going for 3rd level now,but most fo them are for I.T.(No way discrediting ITs btw,Some courses there are fantastic,and not done or if not better than some Uni's,Engineering and such.But I'm aon about lvl 7 stuff and not lvl8)).I was telling him how I wanted to do Politcs and stuff in Uni and we was like "Omg what the **** is that" :L,He was shocked hah,whe said was was probably going to aim for culinary in a IT,but more than likely will do a FETAC first.

So ya thinking about it,should be to bad :).

Just wondering,is this rise in arts for art courses only,or does it apply for arts degrees too((You know some subjects are not in the arts course but are awarded arts degrees still))

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Seloth wrote: »
    Just wondering,is this rise in arts for art courses only,or does it apply for arts degrees too((You know some subjects are not in the arts course but are awarded arts degrees still))
    Degrees can't rise in points,it's the courses that rise.If your doing general arts I'd say that's where the biggest rise will happen,although my guess is it won't be as big of a rise as everyone expects.If you're doing an art'sd course that isn't so common,say for example arts' through Irish etc,there won't be a points rise due to lack of demand.Basiclly what I'm saying is a degree doesn't rise in points across the board,it's the specific courses that do.

Seloth wrote: »
    Heh the post two above seems to be dead on.

Fellas I was in school with((before moving to a grind school for 5th adn 6th))who would have in normal circumstances dropped out are going for 3rd level now,but most fo them are for I.T.(No way discrediting ITs btw,Some courses there are fantastic,and not done or if not better than some Uni's,Engineering and such.But I'm aon about lvl 7 stuff and not lvl8)).I was telling him how I wanted to do Politcs and stuff in Uni and we was like "Omg what the **** is that" :L,He was shocked hah,whe said was was probably going to aim for culinary in a IT,but more than likely will do a FETAC first.

So ya thinking about it,should be to bad :).

Cheers for that info.

that's the situation as I was seeing it really,
    as I'm assuming that most people who would normally have dropped out would be doing pass maths... :o

Advertisement