Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Illegality of blue lights?

• 19-06-2010 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the legality of having blue rotating lights on a vehicle? Last I heard was that they were illegal to use and not illegal to have.

I'm currently converting an ambulance to a camper, and was going to leave the blue lights on until I had the time and alternative solution fitted. (other than leave a big hole in the roof!!) There are in no way connected.

Anybody shed some light on the area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Maybe try the same question in the Emergency Services forum, I'd say they'll know the exact situation.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1023

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

If I were you I would check up with the insurance companies whether they will insure a converted ambulance, I'm fairly sure I saw in the small print (which you can find on dolman and stewarts websites) that they will not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Timmaay wrote: »
    If I were you I would check up with the insurance companies whether they will insure a converted ambulance, I'm fairly sure I saw in the small print (which you can find on dolman and stewarts websites) that they will not.

I know Stewarts don't but I didn't see anything on dolmen regarding ambulances... It's a 94 Mercedes Ambo, so it looks more like a van. Side by side with a 94 Merc 310D and you would barely even spot the difference.

If neither company accepts Ambo's what are my other options? Caravan Club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

There are specific laws against the blue lights. Try the Lighting of Vehicles Regulations

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0189.html

Why not leave them in situ and replace the lens for an orange or clear colour? Should keep you legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

cover them with come naff 3m carbon fibre vinyl or get a can of matt white spray paint for that rally fog lamp effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

It is absolutley forbidden most of the EU (inc NI) just in case you're planning on going abroad.

Advertisement