Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zinedine Zidane movie starting..

• 20-06-2010 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭

Zinedine Zidane: A 21st century portrait starting on bb2 now...12.55am

Looks good!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

aye just settling in to watch it - and then Top Secret on RTE2 straight after - win-win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

thanks, just put it on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I made the mistake of getting it on DVD. I've never finished it. It's just like watching a match from a really bad angle while listening to some bad music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

The whole match centres on ZIZOU? Just put it on by chance...Oh well i'll watch the human art in motion..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

So this is it?

I thought this was the intro :o.

I've been feckin around with the audio channels on my box because I thought I was missing narration or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Fantastic piece of work imo.

To watch one of modern football's true greats, up close and personal for a whole match, seeing how he influences the things on and off the ball is amazing.
    Add in a fantastic score by Mogwai and its almost perfect!

Just flicked over...it doesnt start here for another half hour, ill be asleep by them!

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    So this is it?

I thought this was the intro :o.

I've been feckin around with the audio channels on my box because I thought I was missing narration or something.

Yeah me too:D I had heard he made some kind of film but i thought it was more than this:rolleyes: Just happened to be flicking through the channels and saw it..I'll leave it on anyway fcuk all else on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just to add to the Zidane appreciation.

i never, ever get tired of watching this clip.

ignore the first 20 seconds.

and bear in mind all this happened in one game.

at the World Cup.

against Brazil.

in the semi-finals.

in his second last match ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Looks like a bit of a snoozefest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Jaysus, he never shuts up on the pitch. Blah blah this, blah blah that...........worse than bellamy he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Didn't a couple of Irish guys from some college in town make this? I remember hearing about it years ago on the radio.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Jaysus, he never shuts up on the pitch. Blah blah this, blah blah that...........worse than bellamy he is.

Your joking right?

You cant honestly be surprised that one of the most influential football players of his generation actually done a bit of shouting on the pitch?

glenjamin wrote: »
    Didn't a couple of Irish guys from some college in town make this? I remember hearing about it years ago on the radio.

Which town?

Nope, it was a glaswegian artist and a french filmaker/artist. Douglas Gordon and Phillipe Parreno

fullstop wrote: »
    Which town?
    Lazy Town. Which town do you think? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Eirebear wrote: »
    Your joking right?

You cant honestly be surprised that one of the most influential football players of his generation actually done a bit of shouting on the pitch?

Of course im joking, i thought there was extra gravy on my sarcasm....and i always forget the (:rolleyes::rolleyes:) in my posts lol.

I like it, kinda reminds me of an old clint eastwood movie (where there is five words spoken every 20 mins), zidane is like a drifter, he could be walking the dog and i reckon his heart rate would be the same as on that pitch.

Lazy Town. Which town do you think? :D
    Athlone?

daithijjj wrote: »
    Of course im joking, i thought there was extra gravy on my sarcasm....and i always forget the (:rolleyes::rolleyes:) in my posts lol.

I like it, kinda reminds me of an old clint eastwood movie (where there is five words spoken every 20 mins), zidane is like a drifter, he could be walking the dog and i reckon his heart rate would be the same as on that pitch.

I thought you might be, especially with the Bellamy comments...can never be too sure these days though! :D

I absolutely love the film, although i tend to watch it when im suffering the after-effects of saturday night rather than when im just home from the pub!

fullstop wrote: »
    Athlone?
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Cheers for that video, Ric. Was a good watch.
    He makes it all look so effortless, such a shame how his career ended.

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    Cheers for that video, Ric. Was a good watch.
    He makes it all look so effortless, such a shame how his career ended.

Thats a moment i'll never forget.

I'm not generally a fan of the French but sorely wanted to see a true legend of the game lift it in his last appearance. Instead we got this image.

WC_match_23_narrowweb__300x411,2.jpg

Eirebear wrote: »
    Thats a moment i'll never forget.

I'm not generally a fan of the French but sorely wanted to see a true legend of the game lift it in his last appearance. Instead we got this image.

WC_match_23_narrowweb__300x411,2.jpg
    That was so sad to see him passing out the trophy. There was something on a few weeks ago about the 2006 WC. They showed highlights of all the games plus "that" headbutt. He walked past the trophy without hardly a glance towards it. He must have been gutted.

Have to say i'm liking this film....Poetry in motion! A legend of our time. He just makes it look so easy..

So much for being in bed. I own this on DVD yet i cant drag myself away, its utterly entrancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's the ease with which he does everything that is so compelling.

it's what makes any 'great' of any sport truly great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Still my fav player to this day. Just a joy to watch.

"Magic is very close to nothing at all, When i retire i'll miss the green of the field, Le carre vert" Fascinating!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I enjoyed it, cheers for the heads up OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

SlickRic wrote: »

at the World Cup.

against Brazil.

in the semi-finals.

Single greatest performance I've seen from a player in any match on any stage. Acted like a man possessed, fully intent on dragging his team kicking and screaming to the final. Incredible, incredible stuff. And those boots he wore were unreal. Solid gold. Far better than any pink or orange ones

Just made everything look so effortless.

Picked up the DVD a couple of years back. Fascinating insight into how he played, the little habits he had like tapping the toe of his boots on the ground as he walked and then seeing a rare smile as he joked with Roberto Carlos.

Don't want to spoil the film for anyone but the film makers are very lucky that there is so much packed into one game considering the amount of special cameras and effort that were involved in making the film. It's almost scripted it's so good.

Sad end to his career but it kind of adds to the myth and the legend of Zidane

SlickRic wrote: »

at the World Cup.

against Brazil.

in the semi-finals.

So good i watched it twice!!! Thanks for sharing have that favorited now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

MASSIVE Zidane fan,,, Anyone got a link to this film????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Love Mogwai, love Zidane. But tbh this movie is a mess. It probably works better as an art instillation that you'd project on a large white wall of a gallery somewhere then it does as a legitimate documentary movie that you could sit down and watch after a days work.

TBH I got more out of that five minute clip v Brazil 2006 then the entirity of "Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait".

That said tho I did find it poetic that he got sent off at the end of the game. It almosts acts like a summary of his career. The talent and the tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Watched this last year, enjoyed it.

Have the soundtrack by Mogwai, must get my hands on the DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

There's a documentary about him on TG4 now.There was clips of him playing with his children.The oldest child,I think his name is Enzo, looks like he could be a very good player.Plays for Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That video linked above isnt even a refresher, I'll never forget that performance.

I'm only a younging when it comes to football viewing, 22 years of age.

You ask my dad and my uncles etc whose the best footballer or all time they will say Maradona, Pele, Cryuff, all these names get thrown about.

When you ask me its a simple Zinedine Zidane. And if the likes of messi, ronaldo and rooney want to even consider themselves greats, nevermind "the best" then they need to start showing it on the national stage.

That performance was inspiring and him not getting to lift the world cup after it was the greatest travesty I've ever seen in football.

All the great teams have dealt with their best players leaving, argentina dealt with loosing maradona and have put together some great sides. Brazil dealt with loosing pele and put together world cup winning sides....

France never dealt with loosing Zidane....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

While without a doubt one of the greatest ever his career will be defined by that headbutt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Zidanes masterclass against Brazil came in the 1/4 final btw...they beat the portuguese in the semis.

I miss Zizou:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    While without a doubt one of the greatest ever his career will be defined by that headbutt.

People think it will but it won't. In fact its not. I mean look at it 99% of people goes "What an amazing player", 1% goes "Oh he headbutted your man" People are always going to do it. You could define a lot of players by doing something stupid.

Advertisement