Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Software Engineer: Engineering or Computer Science Degree?

Options
  • 20-06-2010 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I was wondering, to become a Computer Software Engineer, is it better to do an Engineering Degree or a Computer Science Degree?

I have been reading stuff online and I got the impression that to be a "Computer Software Engineer" you had to do an Engineering Degree, with a Computer Science Degree you can be a "Computer Programmer". I assume there's not much difference between these two titles, just wondering if anyone knows the exact difference? Like if you only do a Computer Science Degree are you not meant to call yourself an Engineer :P

Also, I know the majority of people who are in a Computing Career will have done a Computer Science or similar degree, but I'd like to know what it's like for people who have began with an Engineering Degree. Is there a big difference between the two?

I know there are other threads on the forum about Computer Science but I haven't been able to find the right answer.

Sorry this is so long and confusing, I'd appreciate any feedback! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 solymar

hi xAnnex, I'm a computer programmer (PHP) and I have a degree in Electronic & Computer Eng. In the companies I've worked in I've met loads of programmers with the same degree, and alot with a Computer Science degree. When working as a programmer I haven't seen any difference in the ability or opportunity for people with either degree. In face the CTO of my company has an E&C Eng degree also.

However for your overall career I would think an engineering degree is much better as it leaves the whole broad spectrum of engineering disciplines open to you as options. You may have been working as a programmer but if you decide you want to move into a different engineering discipline (eg: mech or biomed) then this is an option for you if you were to take a masters. Not so if you have a computer science degree. You are probably set on being a programmer right now, but this may change in a few years and it's best to have as many options that don't require you do another 4 year undergrad.

I would also suggest maybe doing the undenominated eng course, where you cover all eng in year 1 and then can choose electronic & computer, which is what I did. I didn't miss out on anything really by doing the undenominated first year, and was exposed to a good variety of subjects that will stand to you in future, eg: chemistry, thermodynamics, tech drawing, etc.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xAnnex

Thanks so much solymar! :) Yeah I was thinking it would be better to do an engineering degree, only problem is I don't do Physics and I think it'll be too much stress to try and pick it up in 6th Year. Do you think I'd be at a big disadvantage if I went into an engineering course in a NUI without Physics? Also, do you have any college course recommendations?

xAnnex wrote: »
    Thanks so much solymar! :) Yeah I was thinking it would be better to do an engineering degree, only problem is I don't do Physics and I think it'll be too much stress to try and pick it up in 6th Year. Do you think I'd be at a big disadvantage if I went into an engineering course in a NUI without Physics? Also, do you have any college course recommendations?

I didn't do Physics either and had no problem at all. I loved Maths and did Chemistry too in school, but had no problem without Physics. I went to NUIG, a great college and the course offering there is great. I'd recommend it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xAnnex

Cool thanks, I like Maths and Chemistry ^^
    And thanks for all the info :) My brother's (hopefully) starting the Engineering Degree in NUIG in Sept, glad to hear it's a good course :P

xAnnex wrote: »
    Cool thanks, I like Maths and Chemistry ^^
    And thanks for all the info :) My brother's (hopefully) starting the Engineering Degree in NUIG in Sept, glad to hear it's a good course :P

No problem at all :) Hope all goes well for you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement