Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Internet on 2G simcard

Options
  • 20-06-2010 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a phone that I will use just for email. I'm going to need a data plan for it but as far as I can tell all the mobile internet/"broadband" packages use 3G sim cards and it only takes 2G cards. I'm not expecting it to use much data, maybe 200MB a month max, and would prefer a PAYG plan.

Who is wise and experienced enough to advise me? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Does the phone work with your sim card first of all? If a handset doesn't have 3g bands, they often wont work with a 3g sim in it.

If you go to a network to get a new sim its going to be a 3g sim so you might run into snags, should check this out first.

Your best bet if it will take a 3g sim, is go with meteor's internet and meteor texts for €20 a month on payg. It includes 250mb of internet, and they use an EDGE network which is better than normal gsm network.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

It won't take a 3G USIM, it is gsm-only. No UMTS capable hardware. I might pop in to meteor, i would think they still sell 2G phones and therefore 2G sims. And with 30 days free + 20 days using credit for €20, they sound like a reasonable option. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

you could try asking in the Midband forum. they're the ones who probably know about all this stuff. though that might be more to do with mobile broadband with the modems, not phones, but they might know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

What model is the phone, and what network is it locked to, if any? Where was it bought?

Advertisement