Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intervals on hills

• 20-06-2010 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

If I wanted to improve my climbing abilities by doing circuits of a smaller climb, would Drumcondra to Whitehall or Kyber Road be better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

That won't improve your climbing ability.

Climbing ability is determined by sustainable power to weight. Long 20, 30, 45 and 90 minute efforts at threshold will raise sustainable power. If you don't have a powermeter or HR monitor just go out and ride as hard as you can for the given duration. These efforts don't have to be done on hills to become better at climbing, in fact I'd suggest they are done on a flat to rolling course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Intervals on hills DOES help your overall climbing ability. I'm living proof of it. However it is very painful at times. One of the drills I did was on 3Rock and consisted of 1 minute sprint / 1minute seated / 2 min sprint / 2 min seater / 3 min sprint / 3 min seated - repeat to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Kyber Road is a bump in the road compared to 3 Rock.

You want 20 minutes or so of continuous hard effort at lowish cadence. That can be on a hill, but it needs to be a long enough one.

Hence why flat threshold work is just as good or better. The only problem I've found is that once you get used to seated low-cadence efforts it starts to feel unnatural to climb out of the saddle, but that's arguably a good thing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I lived in west cork until recently, I moved there from the midlands. When I started cycling the wests hills it was an epic fail however within 2 months I had cycled the Priests Leap.
    My well hidden point is that I reckon my cycling ability was developed in the flat, rolling midlands but as soon as I got used to going up it was not a problem for me. I found the hardest part of a climb isn't so much the gradient but your mental attitude to it. Cycle flat or climbs (whichever theory you subscribe to) to get your body used to the pressure of climbing but you have to do climbs to get the confidence to keep going to the top (and to cycle well out of the saddle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Thanks for the input. So basically i should just get out there and just cycle at a decent pace for as long as I have time for?

• Advertisement
Advertisement