Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Gaming Mouse wanted, any advice?

Options
  • 20-06-2010 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

So I bought a Logitech G7 mouse like 5 or 6 years ago (basically just as it game out) and it was working fine up until last year, so I went looking for another and could not find any for sale. I ended up buying the Logitech G5 (basically the wired G7) but the cable is one of these new threaded material ones but this stuff was too tough and inflexible, so much so its actually damaged itself over time. So I am now back in the market for a mouse.

I have been looking around and I cant seem to spot any reliable Wireless gaming mice. I mean the G7 was great and it lasted me 5 years plus it never faulted me during gaming even though it was a wireless mouse. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Buy one off ebay or online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've always found slight lag with a wireless mouse for gaming, even with the transmitter 2 inches away, hence I dumped a wireless Logitech MX1000 in favour of a wired one, no way I'd go back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Buy one off ebay or online
    Its been discontinued and I have been unable to find any for sale at all. I've looked, trust me :D
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I've always found slight lag with a wireless mouse for gaming, even with the transmitter 2 inches away, hence I dumped a wireless Logitech MX1000 in favour of a wired one, no way I'd go back
    Then you never played with the G7. Never had any lag what so ever, regardless of the game (FPS or not) and distance, well that was never a problem. I used to play with my PC at one end of the room and me another, and again no lag. The G7 was a gaming mouse and it was as good as some of the best gaming wired mice out there but I was hoping that someone had built another one as good. Anyone know of one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Razer Mamba, Microsoft SideWinder X8 could be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Before you go buying a new mouse fire off an e-mail to logitech support and see if they can help you out at all, even if it's just money off a new mouse or something. Won't hurt to ask and Logitech have fantastic customer care so might offer you something. Won't hurt to ask anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Microsoft mice have notoriously bad tracking.

Logitech V450 nano. Simple cheap and effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Before you go buying a new mouse fire off an e-mail to logitech support and see if they can help you out at all, even if it's just money off a new mouse or something. Won't hurt to ask and Logitech have fantastic customer care so might offer you something. Won't hurt to ask anyway.

Good thinking batman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

but the cable is one of these new threaded material ones but this stuff was too tough and inflexible, so much so its actually damaged itself over time. So I am now back in the market for a mouse.
    Exact same thing happened to my G5. Im sitting here with a wireless logitech from argos since then.

My only complaint is they advertise battery life @ a year, and typically I've gotten them to last maybe 4-5 months.

Which is still a lot, but they advertise 12. Maybe I'm just a more predominate user than their test model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

http://eu.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/

Have the Mamba myself, and it's been good to me so far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Overheal wrote: »
    Microsoft mice have notoriously bad tracking.

Logitech V450 nano. Simple cheap and effective.

MS mice are actually probably the most in-sync mice in the world if you are playing on windows. the MS IE 3.0 was the staple of pr0 gamers for years and still is in a lot of cases.

a Razer mamba would be real nice. expensive, but easily the best wireless mouse ive used. one of my mates has one and its excellent (i play on his PC a lot :p )
    Da Bounca wrote: »
    http://eu.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/

Have the Mamba myself, and it's been good to me so far.

ha yeah, that guy

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Pfft ie 3.0.

The ie 1.1se is where it's at. Still have one in use at home and one in a box unopened. Will be worth a fortune someday I hope :)

Pfft ie 3.0.

The ie 1.1se is where it's at. Still have one in use at home and one in a box unopened. Will be worth a fortune someday I hope :)

yes but your a CS nab, when you play a true pr0 game you need that extra finesse and precision :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Been looking at one of these for my Macbook. Will mostly be used for TF2. Anyone used one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

sorry op slightly off your original question but do you find that the gaming mouse makes a difference in normal use (ie outside of gaming)? I've always just used any old oem mouse lying around but never really felt it was that smooth.

Are you looking for the g7 in a physical shop? i did a quick google and found plenty

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=logitech+g7&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6069161204156550376&ei=3-kfTKvuFqT20wSJlI2vDQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDgQ8wIwAg#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Jazzy wrote: »
    yes but your a CS nab, when you play a true pr0 game you need that extra finesse and precision :D

What game is that Jazzy?

What game is that Jazzy?

www.quakelive.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

Been looking at one of these for my Macbook. Will mostly be used for TF2. Anyone used one?
    80 EUROS? FOR THAT?
    Wow...
    I bet a 10 euro mouse would be just as good as that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

theres GODDAMN LAG in every GODDAMN wireless mouse. Seriously.

I've tried 3/4, including the so called lag-free G7. It's there! even if its only a couple of milliseconds, it's very noticeable for games that require twitchy split-seconds movements. Don't know how anybody can defend wireless mice for gaming. it just doesnt work at the moment.

theres GODDAMN LAG in every GODDAMN wireless mouse. Seriously.

I've tried 3/4, including the so called lag-free G7. It's there! even if its only a couple of milliseconds, it's very noticeable for games that require twitchy split-seconds movements. Don't know how anybody can defend wireless mice for gaming. it just doesnt work at the moment.
    Fun fact, the more wireless equipment you have, the bigger lag will be because of all the interference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

johanz wrote: »
    Fun fact, the more wireless equipment you have, the bigger lag will be because of all the interference.

fun fact, i have no wireless devices in my room

and also, theres 2 laptops, one of which is rarely used, the other is at the other side of the house. my ds is never on/on standby, as is the psp, my phone is currently in my bedroom, so yeah. tell me i get interference from my wireless equipment

A tad false given theres multiple channels involved. You can easily swap the channel on the router, for instance.

no it wouldnt

Jazzy wrote: »
    no it wouldnt
    Yes it would. I had a generic 10$ mouse, then after 3 years when it broke I got a G9 and I noticed no difference. My skill didn't go up or down in any games.
    Overheal wrote: »
    A tad false given theres multiple channels involved. You can easily swap the channel on the router, for instance.
    Doesn't matter, if there's a lot of wireless devices, they start to interfere even if they use different channels each.

Yes it would. I had a generic 10$ mouse, then after 3 years when it broke I got a G9 and I noticed no difference. My skill didn't go up or down in any games.

nope. dont buy that. maybe you are just the same skill because you dont know how to get better? ever considered that it was the user and not the hardware? a crappy 10eu mouse doesnt really cut it if you wanna get the most out of pc gaming, if you dont believe that then maybe you arent getting the most out of it due to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

80 EUROS? FOR THAT?
    Wow...

Yeah Razor became one of the leading mice manufacturers by making crap products :rolleyes:

OP it you want a good gaming mouse go wired, wireless just doesn't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

I would not recommend any razor products, I find they wear and break very quickly compared to other makes.

I don't now if this is any good, but It looks class: -

bubonicus wrote: »
    I would not recommend any razor products, I find they wear and break very quickly compared to other makes.

I don't now if this is any good, but It looks class: -
    Never ever buy mouses based on their looks.
    And the one you posted IMO looks very terrible and unpractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Never ever buy mouses based on their looks.
    And the one you posted IMO looks very terrible and unpractical.

you're right of course, I probably should have put a :p at the end of my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 AFOB

Hi Dara,

I would hold back from purchasing for a bit, as i believe Logitech are releasing a new gaming mouse that should tick all the boxes you're looking for quite soon...

Advertisement