Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Dell Vostro internal wireless

Options
  • 20-06-2010 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hello,

I have a Dell vostro 1500, one of the original ones, with a/b/g internal wireless. Is it possible to upgrade that internally? Like change the "chip"or what ever it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Hello,

I have a Dell vostro 1500, one of the original ones, with a/b/g internal wireless. Is it possible to upgrade that internally? Like change the "chip"or what ever it is?

You should be able to, it appears you just need to get the Wireless N card from Dell and swap out your current one for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

Deano12345 wrote: »
    You should be able to, it appears you just need to get the Wireless N card from Dell and swap out your current one for it.

What do you mean by wireless N card? Internal? Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Wireless N is the upgraded wireless (past A/B/G)

Yes it is internal, its a Dell part too, so if you email them they may sell them.

Check out this link for the compatible cards :

http://forum.notebookreview.com/what-notebook-should-i-buy/147686-vostro-1500-wireless-card.html

If it was me I would just buy a USB wireless N adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nevermind Dell they're to expensive. Just get a plug in USB one, the only reason to get an internal card is if receptions bad and you need to attach a bigger aerial.

I don't like having things dangling out of my laptop so I'd be all for replacing the internal card if need be.

Mine came with an Intel 5100 card which is a pile of junk, 150 Mbps max. I replaced it with an Intel 4965 which I stripped from a dead HP dv6000. Now I get full 300 Mbps on my wireless network. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement