Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obama's Internet "Kill Switch": Another step in the direction of Global fascism?.

• 20-06-2010 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

A new bill has been discussed by Senator Joe Lieberman that would provide Obama with an “internet kill switch” if it passes. The bill is called the "Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act".

t0til1.jpg

It would cause ISP's, search engines, software firms etc to comply with any emergency measure or action developed by the Homeland Security, according to the Kentucky Post. Additionally, Lieberman is quoted as saying that the bill will “let the government preserve those networks and assets and our country and protect our people.”

This is far worse than anything even by Chinese standards. It would be the equivalent of Nazi Germany banning all forms of communication including the Press, the distributing of information fliers and the cutting off of phone lines. (I guess being digital cell phones could also be switched off)

Could you imagine a day without the internet? We are so accustomed to it that many of us could not survive a few hours with out it.

ieerror.gif

What would be the knock on effect's of the internet being "switched off" in the US? Would it effect us?

Would EU automatically follow suit and shut down the internet here? Currently the EU and US are enjoying themselves in bed together frolicking with serious privacy issues such as retaining and sharing credit card, internet and digital communication records all in the name of fighting so called "terrorism" so it would not surprise me in the least if this proposal is beyond the US.

http://theweek.com/article/index/204186/the-us-governments-internet-kill-switch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It was switched off on 9/11. It took out the internet over a good part of the world. What was the effect then? I remember it happening, I can't find any link about the details.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

It would be the equivalent of Nazi Germany....

Phew, I was worried there wouldn't be a nazi reference there for a second....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

BostonB wrote: »
    It was switched off on 9/11. It took out the internet over a good part of the world. What was the effect then? I remember it happening, I can't find any link about the details.

That was down to overloading and pressure on servers. I can remember that day well having difficulty trying to tune into some of the US based online radio channels.

This would be entirely different. ISP's, search engines, etc would be forced to "power down".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This would be entirely different. ISP's, search engines, etc would be forced to "power down".

But only in the US yeah? Gas how Americans still believe this tripe about being "protected".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Run why do you post this stuff constantly, you feed the NWO (as I've told you before with this crap)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Could you imagine a day without the internet?

ieerror.gif

Who in their right mind still uses Internet Explorer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

That was down to overloading and pressure on servers. I can remember that day well having difficulty trying to tune into some of the US based online radio channels.

I though it was because one of the main US/Europe Hub/Link was in the bottom of the trade center?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

mysterious wrote: »
    Run why do you post this stuff constantly, you feed the NWO (as I've told you before with this crap)

At least he tries to make a cohesive argument and creates an interesting point of discussion (when you overlook the sensationalism) whereas you belittle everyone who does not share the same views as you.

+his theories are within the realm of possibility whereas your theories tend to break the fundamental laws of the universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

EnterNow wrote:
    But only in the US yeah? Gas how Americans still believe this tripe about being "protected".
    There are more IDIOTS in this country that are essentially MIND CONTROLLED by the govt and MSM and its really quite sad...... (We that have "Woken up" are in the minority)
    namloc1980 wrote:
    Whats wrong with IE?? (IE6 is the BEST of that series)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

have to say run... i always enjoy your photoshops:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ceart

namloc1980 wrote: »

That was awesome, lol. Such a possibly serious topic about future internet usage affecting so many...and all you get from it is "Who in their right mind still uses Internet Explorer??" hahaha

Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

BostonB wrote: »
    I though it was because one of the main US/Europe Hub/Link was in the bottom of the trade center?

Thats no how the Internet works. It was designed for the original purpose of being able to survive if a few different nodes were taken out.

It ground to a halt because everyone in the world went to the internet to look for information. Like when Michael Jackson died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭northwest100

BostonB wrote:

i remember being on IRC when the planes hit trade towers, i also remember specifically someone in the channel saying an F16 had shot down a plane over pennsylvania, although it was completely different story some hours later. ;)

don't recall being knocked offline that day but perhaps some servers providing news feed were overloaded...

when you mentioned "Kill Switch" RTDH, I thought of this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

The CT'ers should also look into how the internet is organised beyond local ISP's.Tier 1 providers are massive corporations who literally control the information flow.
    If you buy into the NWO it might put more fuel on the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Sparticle wrote: »
    At least he tries to make a cohesive argument and creates an interesting point of discussion (when you overlook the sensationalism) whereas you belittle everyone who does not share the same views as you.

+his theories are within the realm of possibility whereas your theories tend to break the fundamental laws of the universe.

In your opinion:rolleyes::p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

mysterious wrote: »
    In your opinion:rolleyes::p:D

Mine too :p

A more appropriate picture .

Off_%28D%29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

A more appropriate picture .

Off_%28D%29.jpg

Quite good. Could do with more Nazis though. 7/10

Roboclam wrote:

don't you mean Zionists? or ZionNazi ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I think the nazisoldier archetype/stereotype is the wolf to mainstream sheeple, sorry i mean people.
    The Zionists imo are the wolves in sheeps clothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think American corporations who are only interested in money are going to turn off their entire business system for any reason. It would see thousands of businesses fleeing to non American hosts and services to guarantee up time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

RoboClam wrote: »

That's a photoshop from Dees Illustration.
    And Dee isn't that down on the Nazis...

http://rense.com/1.imagesH/gaschmbr_dees.jpg

http://rense.com/1.imagesH/framed_dees.jpg

Also best one ever:

putin_dees.jpg

they're funny illustrations alright.

clearly, Russia were the aggressor who terrorised and butchered South Ossetian villagers in 2008.

Georgia were merely freedom fighters and peace makers..as always.
    US were as always, the voice of reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

ScumLord wrote: »
    It would see thousands of businesses fleeing to non American hosts and services to guarantee up time.
    And possibly crash the dollar?

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think American corporations who are only interested in money are going to turn off their entire business system for any reason. It would see thousands of businesses fleeing to non American hosts and services to guarantee up time.
    I mentioned in the OP my guess is that it would be policed beyond the borders of US, Just as international flight paths can be shut down internationally in a crisis there is no reason why they cannot pull the plug on the internet.

Example being if Israel and the US decided to nuked Iran or North Korea and wanted to suppress international reaction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

This is my favourite of the South Ossetia ones
    comics-vi.gif

I find this a bit of an odd topic because AFAIK the internet was designed in such a way that it cant be shut off, sure they can shut down the American Domestic Servers but We will still be able to talk to each other unless they shut down Our servers as well, and when you consider that some of us have our own servers and Satelite uplinks it becomes aparent that they cant Turn it off, they already have control over most of the aplications tho like Facebook and Twitter which theyt can heavily monitor, but us here we will remain, course it'll be like the mid 90's again, but hey it was funish the first time round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

but hey it was funish the first time round

Speak for yourself. I don't want to have to go through being dumped by Katie Harris again. :(

ah but this time you'll know that she Gets old and Turns to Fat so ya wont feel as bad about it ;)

when you consider that some of us have our own servers and Satelite uplinks it becomes aparent that they cant Turn it off

Who owns the network infrastructure tjat allows me to see your server(say your web server www.visitisrael.au)?If an ISP decideds to shut down its network there is no way im going to see anything on your server unless I'm physically connected to your private network via fibre or cabling.And again you dont own the that satelite link that gives us access to your server either.

• Advertisement

See thats the thing tho, there are no Hardwired physical connections to the Internet, its just a big jumbled mess of wires and as long as we're both plugged into operatin telephone exchanges ( which if you bought Eircom Shares you technically Own) and at least one switch functions somewhere then we're connected

as for the satelites I had a Mate of mine who knows a lot more than me about the things fit one of those Powered rotatin base thingys on it, he found me 3 satelites that I can bounce signals off if something happens to my subscribes service.

Yep the internet is a big mess of cabling and multiple nodes:D.Was just trying to piont out that people are still relying on a 3rd party to provide their internet.All owned by big bad capitalist corporations.Worst case scenario if eircom powered down tommorrow my own internet would consist of 3 pc's and a xbox with no connection to the outside world.

Will post up stuff later about tier 1 providers as it's interesting from a ct point of view as a they are big corporations and they all have non-disclosure agreements with each other and as a result its very hard to get info on how the feckers work.Went to post a link on my first post from wiki but the page doesnt exist anymore!(probably merged with another topic but ....)

President Obama will be handed the power to shut down the Internet for at least four months without Congressional oversight if the Senate votes for the infamous Internet ‘kill switch’ bill, which was approved by a key Senate committee yesterday and now moves to the floor.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/security/obama-internet-kill-switch-bill-approved-20100625-z8sf.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

The internet is the elites biggest mistake ever. They are kicking themselves now for ever bringing it mainstream. The internet is the single most important tool that has arroused the waking of the masses. They surely will kill it at some stage, but will it be to late ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Its already too late..... TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE WOKEN UP!!

The internet brought us all together :)

Advertisement