Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing

Options
  • 20-06-2010 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

anyone been out yet? I know there was an old thread on this subject last year, I couldn't find it though. Its coming into Mackerel season, just wondering is there any being caught? cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Mackerel? It's been one of the busiest summers in years for mackerel. They are absolutely everywhere in massive numbers. Maybe its something to do with the good weather and high plankton numbers in the area around the coast. Also due to the "salmon men" being stopped fishing for salmon the government gave them money as compensation for not being able to fish salmon anymore with their nets on the boats so these men have boats and now are hammering the mackerel. They have jigging machines which have about 30 hooks and are great over a shoal of mackerel. They are going out at first light and fishing until dark and catching about 30 fish boxes of mackerel a day in Donegal Bay at around 60 euro a box depending on the market.

As for other species, we got 39 big flounders of over a pound in weight and two nice sea trout for a days fishing on the beach in Glen last week with small shoe lace strings of mackerel bait.

We went to the beach in Rosbeg on Friday beside the caravan park and only got one turbot but ive heard since that the far side of the beach is better for fishing?

Was out on the boat last Wednesday from Killybegs and we got two boxes of Pollock and one of the boys got a 7lb Monkfish (anglerfish) on a baited twister which was a real gem

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

Rushnaldo, could you recommend some gear (spinners etc.) for rod fishing for mackerel from the shore. I'm in Donegal at the weekend and I'd like to take my boys to the little pier in Muckross and catch a few fish. What time of day is best etc. Any info or hints would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

killerbeg wrote: »
    Rushnaldo, could you recommend some gear (spinners etc.) for rod fishing for mackerel from the shore. I'm in Donegal at the weekend and I'd like to take my boys to the little pier in Muckross and catch a few fish. What time of day is best etc. Any info or hints would be appreciated.

Yeah the pier in Muckross should be a great place for the kids its safe and has a nice sandy bottom so they won't be losing tackle every cast lol. Mackerel fishing from the shore takes patience at times as Mackerel cover large areas very fast and you may get nothing for ages and then bang maybe haul in 6 at a time on your feathers as the shoal passes you chasing small fry sprat. The time of day doesn't matter for mackerel as they are everywhere at all times. You may see the sea bubbling in a mass frenzy that will be the mackerel in eating the little fry, cast into the middle of that if you see it. They are not fussy whatsoever what hook they go for they just attack anything shiny. Any shiny fish shape spinner will do but i always use a set of feathers or hawkeyes which is three hooks and a big weight at the bottom. Or combine the two using the spinner as your weight on the bottom of the hawkeyes. Reel in fairly quiick trying different depths for best results. If you get a few mackerel you could then try something different like a float and a slither of mackerel bait around to the right of the pier for pollock or use limpets which are found along the shore for wrasse.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

Thanks Rushnaldo, I'll let you know how we get on.

Advertisement