Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POSITIVE OPK

• 20-06-2010 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hi hope someone can help, i only came off the pill after 5 years last sunday, at the end of my pill free week i didnt start a new pack, so anyway i started charting for ovulation straight away and started testing with OPK'S on weds this week, weds and thurs they wer only faint lines which are negative, fridays was darker, then saturdays was alot darker then i did a second one a few hours later and its positive, does this mean i am definately ovulating or is my body playing tricks? i wasnt expecting to ovulate so soon after the pill it would be great if i was, any help greatly appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Your body is producing a lot of LH hormone, ie gearing up to ovulate. Not guaranteed you will, but it's a possibility- some women are extra fertile for the first couple of months after coming off thepill. So go have fun with your partner!

PS: I was conceived 2 or 3 days after my mom came off the pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 DR HOUSE

lol thank you wel have fun trying sure :) good to know about your mam too xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

once you get a positive OPK it is advised to have intercourse each day until you see a thermal shift (if you are measuring your BBT [Basal Body Temperature]). Don't worry if you're not temping, just have intercourse for 3 days in a row from the day of the positive test, skip a day, and then one more time.
    It is most likely that you will ovulate with a positive OPK, but as a PP said it's no guarantee, and only an sustained increased thermal shift (i.e. at least 3 days of higher temperatures following your positive OPK) will tell you if you have truly ovulated. This is one of the 3 primary fertility signs, along with your cervical mucous which should be of an 'egg white' consistency (clear, stretchy, slippery) and cervical position (high/soft/open) - you need to explore with your fingers to check the position; and the top of your cervix should feel spongy (like your lips), not hard (like the tip of your nose) - the cervix is hard / low / closed during non/low fertile days).

good luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sootiescot

Hi Dr House,

the positive opk means that there is a surge in the lh hormone which triggers ovulation. You should expect to ovulate any where from 12 -36 hours after your positive test.

I normally start testing on day 7 as I usually ovulate early each month. Around day 11 -13 and I have a cycle of between 28 -30 days.

You can also check your temp starting from day one next cycle until the end of the cycle. When you see a huge shift in temp you will know when you ovulate. Fertilityfriends.com let you keep charts on line. I found these very helpful and over the months a patter will develop for you.

Best of luck:o

thanks guys, yea ive recently discovered fertilty friend too its very good unfortunately i only started temping after the positive OPK i was waiting for the thermometer to come from ebay lol, bit confused because last 3 temps since i got it have been identical at 97.18??, but been feeling sick last five days n bloated n peeing alot so fingers crossed!!
    thank you ill keep you posted

• Advertisement

hi girlos, still temping! already doing pregnancy tests lol too early i know, fertility friend reckons i ovulated last saturday, i hadnt had a positive opk since the original post although i wasnt testing everyday i had one test that was darker but not as dark as the first positive and i didnt test last saturday, luckily we did the deed on sat and sunday and the sat sun mon and tues night before so hopefully something might have happened for us, still nauseous, heartburn, peeing, cramping, bloating, really sore boobs last four days now thats my latest symptom, fertility friend says i should test 15th july miles away gonna try not do any more tests till then and if i get period in the mean time i can put my symptoms down to hormones!

hello again, i think i got my first non pill period yesterday, its very light i only barely used one towel and havent needed one since its the brown goey type sorry for the tmi! no cramps as yet, my cycle was 33 days long, i am in a better position to know my cycle now, would you think my next cycle will be 33 days? i did a test today just to make sure, it was negative, still have heartburn n nausea though, my boobs hadnt been sore for 3 days before my period and temp dropped slightly, so getting the hang of fertility friend have to buy my vip membership as my free trial expired,

how many Days Past Ovulation are you? Are you sure it was your period?

hey good question! according to fertility friend im 18 days past ovulation today it told me to test today, i will test 2 moro to make sure because still very light and brown and only wen i wipe (underwear is spotless) :S hmmmm i dunno!
    thank you :) wat you think?

DR HOUSE wrote: »
    hey good question! according to fertility friend im 18 days past ovulation today it told me to test today, i will test 2 moro to make sure because still very light and brown and only wen i wipe (underwear is spotless) :S hmmmm i dunno!
    thank you :) wat you think?

Sounds like the start of your period, but I would'nt mark it as Day 1 until you see red flow, brownish spotting is not the start. I spot for about 8 days before my period but only mark day 1 when I see red (physically and figuratively!:p)

OR

FF could be wrong, sometimes it is... and you may be less DPO than you think, and that spotting the other day could have been an implantation bleed.

Either way you're not out til your period shows so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya ;)

• Advertisement

only mark day 1 when I see red (physically and figuratively!tongue.gif)

loller! :) the brown CM dissapeared after 3 days :confused: i marked day 1 on fertility friend wen the brown CM first came because i thought it was start of period should i go back and change it?? or could it just be a weird first real period because of the pill?
    thank you!

If it were me I'd go back and mark it as spotting only. The software will recognise this, an info message will appear on screen and it'll revert back to that cycle (as I assume a new cycle started because you marked it as flow).

It may have been a period but I doubt it, when you have your period your body is shedding the newly formed lining of the uterus that was building up during the cycle to support a fertilized egg. That's why it's red (new blood), clotty and heavy (compared to spotting). Spotting can just be random uterine contractions, or old blood that pooled at the cervix and was sitting there a while. I'm no expert, but I searched some threads on it in FF for you and that seems to be the consensus.
    I never mark spotting as flow. ;)

thanks youre very good, I just changed it to spotting so it changed back to the last cycle, still nauseous on and off n heartburn, boobs not sore anymore though, cannot imagine trying for a long time like some people i wouldnt be able for it! thank god for cheap internet tests!! my sister is expecting in december hope im pregnant by then :/

Advertisement