Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a good computer?

• 20-06-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

I am looking at getting a new computer. I'm considering building it myself, as I need something reasonably high-end for gaming (thinking ATI Radeon 5770, which no pre-builts seem to have). I stumbled across this PC: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5972610/art/amd/pc-system-black-thuban-am.html

Would that work for my needs. I'll be gaming, most likely on a 1920*1080 ~22" screen. I also run iMacros for FireFox (in 5+ separate windows, not tabs) 8-12 hours per day, but I assume that wouldn't be too stressful for that computer.

All in all, is that a good build?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

looks ok, to me .6core cpu ,1024meg vram, does the grahics card has hdmi out ,ie are you gonna use it on a hdtv for dvds,movies or is it just 4 gaming use?
    i,d prefer to get an amd 3 core cpu as i like to use a low noise cpu for gaming .see here http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=550&type=expert ,
    i,d presume its easier to cool a phenom x3 than a 6 core cpu pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Greyian wrote: »

Would that work for my needs. I'll be gaming, most likely on a 1920*1080 ~22" screen.

All in all, is that a good build?

Depends on the games your playing really. My 4890 (which is probably 10% ish faster than a 5770) will play most things maxed out. I play games like the COD series and Company Of Heroes.

It's a pretty solid build though, I'm not entirely sure about that case but the rest of the build looks solid. Those Hexa-Cores are serious performers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Greyian

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Depends on the games your playing really. My 4890 (which is probably 10% ish faster than a 5770) will play most things maxed out. I play games like the COD series and Company Of Heroes.

It's a pretty solid build though, I'm not entirely sure about that case but the rest of the build looks solid. Those Hexa-Cores are serious performers :)

At the moment, I have 9 games on Steam (some work on the laptop, some where specials so I bought them in anticipation of getting a PC). I've got the Total War Collection (which can be played on this crappy laptop, with a 3200), Portal, Crysis, Mass Effect and BF2. I only bought Crysis because it was €10 on Steam on Monday, and I'm not really going to go buying a 5870 just for Crysis. I'll mainly be getting games that are available for 360+PC, seeing as my 360 isn't working well at all (and €50 a year for online is a PITA). For multiplats I've got my PS3 (which most of my friends are on).
    Basically, it'll be used for games like Left 4 Dead (and L4D2), Mass Effect etc, as well as some games that don't really have an online emphasis (Splinter Cell and the like). Sure, I'll probably get Crysis 2 (might get it for ps3 though either, not sure), but I'm more than willing to sacrifice a little on that to save some money so long as most games can be played on high to highest settings.

Advertisement