Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Won't read games

• 20-06-2010 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭

My xbox was working perfectly until the other day. All of a sudden when I go to press A to get into the game on the menu when I turn on the xbox the only option available is to open the tray and when I do this,it reads it for a second until it just says open tray again.
    Anyone know what to do. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I have this problem as well, happens occassionally. Should keep opening/closing the tray until it reads the disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gadget.Repair

greetings wrote: »
    My xbox was working perfectly until the other day. All of a sudden when I go to press A to get into the game on the menu when I turn on the xbox the only option available is to open the tray and when I do this,it reads it for a second until it just says open tray again.
    Anyone know what to do. Thanks.

Sounds to me like your lasor is on it's way out try a disk cleaner. Compressed air to blow out dust use with a hover.

But the only way to fix for good is to replace the drive or the laser

let me know how u get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Payton

Hi did you get the drive to read the disk ok? My son is having the same problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

This can happen to older 360's. What happens is the arm inside the disk drive gets stuck. I've two consoles suffering this at the moment. When I have time, I plan on opening them up and cleaning the mechanisms.

However, there is a short term solution. It sounds crazy but it works. As soon as you hit the close tray button, wait a couple of seconds and give the console a good thump on the outer shell just above where the disk drive is :eek: This will release the arm. Timing is everything here.

You have to give it quite a lot of force but not enough to cause internal damage. Common sense prevails here (I know... walloping your console doesn't seem sensible in the first place :D). However, this works, trust me :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Payton

We have 2 xbox's, 1 is down with the ROD so if it comes down to it I'll take the disk drive out and replace it. But I will try your gentle persusion tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MOBILVETTA

you tube fix after some searching. Had to go into, 'system console' and reset to 'disable auto play' and it worked.
    HAPPY Kids NOW.
    Had to do this a few times since but it works so far so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

I have a similar problem with my new - ish xbox elite.

It plays games ok but only from the HD (demo's and games i have downloaded) but it will not read any games from a disk?
    But get this... it plays DVD's fine and music cd's .

First thing and the obvious thing to do is swap out the optical drive - witch i did last night to one that i know works. But i get the exact same problem !:mad:

I work in I.T and have fixed lots of little issues with x boxes but have not come across this before. looks like my issue could be to do with some sort of encryption problems?

Does anyone know anything about what i am experience? any help is much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

You need to take the circuit board from your old drive and drop it in the new drive they also need to be the same type. For example you can't put a circuit board from a hitachi into a benq drive

justryan wrote: »
    You need to take the circuit board from your old drive and drop it in the new drive they also need to be the same type. For example you can't put a circuit board from a hitachi into a benq drive

Thanks for the reply.

My issue is not with the drive. i have tested two drives on this x box - getting the same problems. i know 100% that one of the drives plays games from disk.

The problem i think is the encryption process that takes place when it try's to play an x box game disk as all the game disks are encrypted.

It play's all other type disks fine dvd's cd's etc..

Cheers for the help !

You can't simply swap drives they must be the same type as the original and you must take the circuit board from the original as it contains a unique key

• Advertisement

You can't simply swap drives they must be the same type as the original and you must take the circuit board from the original as it contains a unique key

Thanks justryan;! I don't think there the same, will check it out when i get home.Fingers crossed they are same model type and the circuit board is ok.

Thanks again for your help.

Will update you on any progress :)

The picture below will illustrate what I mean, it's taken from the front of a LiteOn drive. There are 4 drive manufacturers Hitachi, Samsung, BenQ and LiteOn there are 4 different versions of LiteOn, 74850c, 83450c, 83450c V2 and 93450c. Mine is a LiteOn 74850c so I would have to take the circuit board from this and drop it in another LiteOn 74850c. You might also consider just purchasing a new laser they are very cheap but again you must find the laser specific to your drive, hope this helps :D

The picture below will illustrate what I mean, it's taken from the front of a LiteOn drive. There are 4 drive manufacturers Hitachi, Samsung, BenQ and LiteOn there are 4 different versions of LiteOn, 74850c, 83450c, 83450c V2 and 93450c. Mine is a LiteOn 74850c so I would have to take the circuit board from this and drop it in another LiteOn 74850c. You might also consider just purchasing a new laser they are very cheap but again you must find the laser specific to your drive, hope this helps :D

That's Brilliant help! Thanks :)

Again ill let you know how i get on!

Advertisement