Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths!

• 20-06-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Does anyone have an hints or tips or predictions or anything for the exam on Friday? I haven't seen one on boards yet, and I'm pretty frightened for the exam! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

are you doin higher ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 velvets-rule

Areq wrote: »
    are you doin higher ?:confused:

Yes, yes I am.

And I am very, very worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Go through exam papers, and make sure you understand what you are doing, learning stuff off will not work in this exam, except for question 8 for the proofs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

and if you are really worried don't forget that you can always drop down on the day .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Is it weird that I'm really looking forward to App Maths? By far the most challenging and fun paper IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

you cant exactly predict applied maths, thats why its an interesting subject to do, all i can even think of is learn the wedge for connected particles...all you can do is go over exam papers and make sure you understand why you do evrything

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Is it weird that I'm really looking forward to App Maths? By far the most challenging and fun paper IMO.

I am looking forward, but mostly because I want to see if I have improved from a C2 to hopefully a B2 or B1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Exactly! They actually force you to think. The only LC subject which has such a requisite (from my experience anyways).

OP, what questions are you planning on doing? If you're very worried about it, there are a few questions where you can pick almost half the entire marks by just carrying out a simple enough operation. Q8 and 10 are very good choices IMO.

What questions are ye all doing actually? I'm thinking 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10 with 6 and 1 as backups.

I'm doing 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10.
    Maybe 2 if I have time, but I'm staying clear of SHM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 velvets-rule

Exactly! They actually force you to think. The only LC subject which has such a requisite (from my experience anyways).

OP, what questions are you planning on doing? If you're very worried about it, there are a few questions where you can pick almost half the entire marks by just carrying out a simple enough operation. Q8 and 10 are very good choices IMO.

What questions are ye all doing actually? I'm thinking 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10 with 6 and 1 as backups.

I am doing question 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10. Maybe 8, also.

What are the simple operations to get half marks?! I know nothing about them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sarahisdeadly

Well the same topics come up every year, it's handy if you know which one's you're doing so you can just concentrate on those. It's great to have a subject where you can leave out almost half the course and be in no fear.

If you look through the exam papers you'll see they repeat the same like 4 or 5 types of questions for each topic, any time there's a difficult bit they mark it right down to like only 5 marks so if you're not aiming for the high grade you should be grand with the basics!

My teacher likes to think the ball rolling down the hill one is coming up for rigid body rotation but that might be cuz he likes that question and it's really handy, worth looking over though.

Looking forward to it too, I keep doing questions even though I haven't even started Chemistry or Music, and Accounting is tomorrow...
    Doing 1 3 4 5 8 10 and then 2 is my back up, HATE relative but I always have extra time so I'll prob do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MathsNerd31

The best questions to do are 2,3,4,5,8 and 10. Year after year they have the best success rate among students. It is advisable not to depend on question 1. A lot of students automatically opt for question 1 because it's usually the first one they study and it may appear to be the most familiar. The truth is that it has a very poor success rate, the main reason being that it is the topic with the most variety of possible questions and is therefore the most difficult to prepare for. Relative Velocity gets a bad rap but the questions you can be asked are really limited and it is therefore really easy to prepare for. Road Junctions, Rivers and Currents and Apparent Velocity of the wind. That's it. Also, Moments of Inertia should be on your list. The proof only takes about 3 minutes to do. That gives you over 20 minutes to do the (b) part which is never all that difficult.

The best questions to do are 2,3,4,5,8 and 10. Year after year they have the best success rate among students. It is advisable not to depend on question 1. A lot of students automatically opt for question 1 because it's usually the first one they study and it may appear to be the most familiar. The truth is that it has a very poor success rate, the main reason being that it is the topic with the most variety of possible questions and is therefore the most difficult to prepare for. Relative Velocity gets a bad rap but the questions you can be asked are really limited and it is therefore really easy to prepare for. Road Junctions, Rivers and Currents and Apparent Velocity of the wind. That's it. Also, Moments of Inertia should be on your list. The proof only takes about 3 minutes to do. That gives you over 20 minutes to do the (b) part which is never all that difficult.
    I'd say 9 is the easiest. It's always very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I'd say 9 is the easiest. It's always very simple.

Agreed.
    Although that question with the submarine that came up years ago wasn't exactly simple. Neither was 1992 with the box on its edge and the water and oil thrown into it..

I'm doing 3,4,5,8,9,10. The rest are available for backups. I hate relative velocity though.

BTW, for Q9, I can see a mixture/alloy question coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

My teacher likes to think the ball rolling down the hill one is coming up for rigid body rotation but that might be cuz he likes that question and it's really handy, worth looking over though.

I'd absolutely love if that came up!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

We studied 1-5, 9, 10

I'm going to do some work on them all and I'll just see which ones come up. I'll probably end up doing them all anyway.

In terms of predictions, question ones are looking easier each year...

Advertisement