Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on a garin Oregon

Options
  • 20-06-2010 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭

Hi Whats the main differnce between the 450 and the 550, and is worth buying the t range for the maps do they work in ireland or is it just europe, it will be hiking that i will be using it for

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hiya,

I have the 400t, the base maps are quite good but I find the Garmin OSI maps much better for hiking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

The main difference is that the 550 has a built in camera, which allows for easy geotagging.

I also have the 400t, but tbh, I wouldn't recommend it, as the daylight viewing is very bad. I had to buy a 60 CSX on a recent (sunny) holiday, as I just couldn't see the screen on the 400t.

The 450 is a direct replacement for the 400, identical in every way, except it's supposed to have an upgraded screen to deal with the daylight issue. Try it, before you buy, and if it's good, then it's other features are very useful.

As for spending the extra for the "t" version - it all depends on how much info do you want on your maps? The "t" map is very good, and should do for 80% of anyones needs.

I very rarely go to places that I'd need very detailed topo maps, so it works fine for me. I also have Garmin NT maps loaded which is very handy for geocaching.

hth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

mrmac wrote: »
    The main difference is that the 550 has a built in camera, which allows for easy geotagging.

I also have the 400t, but tbh, I wouldn't recommend it, as the daylight viewing is very bad. I had to buy a 60 CSX on a recent (sunny) holiday, as I just couldn't see the screen on the 400t.

The 450 is a direct replacement for the 400, identical in every way, except it's supposed to have an upgraded screen to deal with the daylight issue. Try it, before you buy, and if it's good, then it's other features are very useful.

As for spending the extra for the "t" version - it all depends on how much info do you want on your maps? The "t" map is very good, and should do for 80% of anyones needs.

I very rarely go to places that I'd need very detailed topo maps, so it works fine for me. I also have Garmin NT maps loaded which is very handy for geocaching.

hth.

cheers thanks for info went for the 450t price was good on amazon, as you say screen is meant to be better than 400 will let you know if its true in a week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Was going to buy one of these myself, looking forward to hear what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

impressed so far get decent 2700ma batts i got chaeaper ones + were ****e, screen in sun fine no probs need to test a bit more , so far so good

• Advertisement
Advertisement