Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on starting my own forum

Options
  • 20-06-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello there.
    I'm not sure this is the correct place for this thread but I can't find anywhere more suitable.
    First of all I have absolutely no education in computers so I only have fairly basic computer skills.
    I have an idea to start a forum which I think could become fairly popular in Ireland.
    There's already something similar to my idea i the Uk and it is fairly busy.
    Problem is I have absolutely no idea where to start.
    Is there a profession where somebody helps setting up forums and stuff like that?
    Or is it relatively easy to do yourself?
    As far as I can see I need to buy a domain name, costs about 70 euro from what I can gather
    I also need to buy the forum software, something like 200 euro?
    Obviously I need to get people to join up.
    How do I get my forum to come near the top of google searches?
    And then advertising- I presume I need to get companies to advertise on my site?
    Cheers in advance for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Just quick and dirty and off the cuff!

Buy the domain that kind of (or as near as) keywords your idea for your forum. You'd best go for a .com as Im not to sure you would get a .ie without a letter from your accountant, the CRO or even your doctor!!

Maybe the ISP that you buy the domain from will have built in Forum software for free. If not Google "free forum software"

If your content is good and you are linked from other sites, Google will find you. It will take a few months tho! Also search "Add Url" in Google, Yahoo and Bing and get your site into their search databases. To get yourself pushed up the search engine rankings is a bit of a science in itself tho!

As for the advertising have a look at Google Adsense, these are Google adwords on your site and when someone clicks on these ads thru ur site - u get a few bob!

There is no magic button to press to sort out the above and the above could be tricky in places - but give it a shot yourself, maybe someone will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cmf22

pfurey101 wrote: »
    Just quick and dirty and off the cuff!

Buy the domain that kind of (or as near as) keywords your idea for your forum. You'd best go for a .com as Im not to sure you would get a .ie without a letter from your accountant, the CRO or even your doctor!!

Maybe the ISP that you buy the domain from will have built in Forum software for free. If not Google "free forum software"

If your content is good and you are linked from other sites, Google will find you. It will take a few months tho! Also search "Add Url" in Google, Yahoo and Bing and get your site into their search databases. To get yourself pushed up the search engine rankings is a bit of a science in itself tho!

As for the advertising have a look at Google Adsense, these are Google adwords on your site and when someone clicks on these ads thru ur site - u get a few bob!

There is no magic button to press to sort out the above and the above could be tricky in places - but give it a shot yourself, maybe someone will help.

Thanks for that. I reckon I'll give it a go myself. I'll be unemployed in a few weeks so I'll have plenty of time on my hands

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

SMF is a good forum IMO.
    If your looking for a hand setting this up PM me

Advertisement