Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OL Chemistry

• 20-06-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

I have just dropped down to OL Chemistry and was just wondering about how much I can leave out. I have "Chemistry Live" by Declan Kennedy, so can I leave out everything that has a red line beside it? I was just wondering because I saw some things with a red line beside them came up in the papers? Also do I just leave out all experiments listed in bold at the start of the book? Sorry I know these seem like stupid questions!:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Look at the papers online and you can probably work out the pattern like in higher Q1 titriation, Q2 organic......and see how much detail is required for each answer.

It's probably like history where everyone has the same books in class but the questions are more general? I don't know much to be honest sorry but I guy in my year has dropped and my teacher said he won't have a problem at all.

I'm studying chem for a few hours later on. I love it but I feel like I'm on my holidays since biology on thurs. So much for cramming fri, sat, sun and mon :pac:

Youtube ''leaving cert chemistry predictions" and see what the guy says, sorry I can't think of his name. I know he did predictions for both levels so maybe that would give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Shall do, thanks.:D

I am the exact same, I kept saying I would study friday evening then it was saturday and I'm only getting round to looking at the papers now. It's just too nice, and chemistry's waaay to boring!

Shall do, thanks.:D

I am the exact same, I kept saying I would study friday evening then it was saturday and I'm only getting round to looking at the papers now. It's just too nice, and chemistry's waaay to boring!

I know and most people are off by now to destroy our souls even more :pac:

Victoria. wrote: »
    I know and most people are off by now to destroy our souls even more :pac:

I know everyone I know was out either Thursday night or Saturday I night and I still had to stay in even though I didn't bother studying!

Although my friend has three exams left; chemistry, physics and economics so it could be ALOT worse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

When it comes to the experiments, any listed in bold at the front of Chemistry Live are higher level only. There's also an experiment that is ordinary level only; "a hydrochloric acid/sodium hydroxide titration and its use to prepare the salt sodium chloride." I think it came up fairly recently.

I don't know why that stuff with the red line down the side came up in exams, it says at the front of the book that it means higher level only. I guess just stick to the papers though, and mark yourself off the marking scheme. If there's something you don't understand at that stage, consult the book. :)

When it comes to the experiments, any listed in bold at the front of Chemistry Live are higher level only. There's also an experiment that is ordinary level only; "a hydrochloric acid/sodium hydroxide titration and its use to prepare the salt sodium chloride." I think it came up fairly recently.

I don't know why that stuff with the red line down the side came up in exams, it says at the front of the book that it means higher level only. I guess just stick to the papers though, and mark yourself off the marking scheme. If there's something you don't understand at that stage, consult the book. :)

Ok thanks that helps!:)

Yea I know, maybe you don't need to know that stuff in detail just a vague idea? Or maybe it was just that one thing, I'm not sure.

Here's the syllabus for both higher and ordinary levels, which outlines the depth of treatment for each topic at the corresponding levels. You can use it as a reference if in doubt regarding the significance of the red line. :)

Aw thank you that's really helpfull!! :)

You're welcome. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement