Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics HL

• 20-06-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Is it possible to not learn electricity and still do reasonably well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 hmmmm52

if you've all your other sections well revised esp. modern physics then yes.....but depends what you consider reasonably well. you'l have no choice in section 1 and prob have little or no choice in section 2 either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

whats "modern physics"? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 hmmmm52

sorry should hav specified thats what our class called the section thats got einsteins photoelectric effect...e=m(c-squared), x-rays..cockroft n walton, nuclear fission/fusion...radioactivity, particle physics etc.
    its generally question 10 a comes up as a part in q.12 and sometimes comes up as another full question...(like 8 or9 . . or 11)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

I didnt do electricity or magnetism(except mandatory experiments and some commons short questions) and got an A1 if that's any good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cen92

I'd be hoping for at least a B.
    I reckon I know the experiments pretty well and should be ok for most of section B but I'll try to avoid electricity as much as possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Cen92 wrote: »
    I'd be hoping for at least a B.
    I reckon I know the experiments pretty well and should be ok for most of section B but I'll try to avoid electricity as much as possible

I think most people are like that, tbh. I'm one of the only ones I know who likes electricity! :p You should be grand. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Caron

what exactly are the electricity chapters? and anyone any predictions on anything? I have left absolutely everything until the last minute!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Caron

I didnt do electricity or magnetism(except mandatory experiments and some commons short questions) and got an A1 if that's any good to you.

What are the common short questions??? Any help will do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭greenbetty69

electicity isnt bad in fairness.. especially now that we have all the equations in the new tables!:D just learn the definitions and ul be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bluemooner

true, im not doing the electricity questions either. you should however learn a few definitions for the short questions and know a few of the experiments at least. good luck anyways!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

yep, im dead in this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

HATE electricity! I know the electricity definitions and demonstrations for Faradays & Lenz. Thats it!

I'll avoid it in Section A. If electricity defininitions come up in good old question 5 I can do them. And sure I'm grand on mechanics, waves, heat and modern:) I actually love modern physics :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

Conor108 wrote: »
    I actually love modern physics :D

same :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Caron wrote: »
    What are the common short questions??? Any help will do!!

I genuinely can't remember. Did LC in 2008.

Maybe what is Ohms Law or something. But you can answer them with a formula normally i think. Dunno what story is now that log tables are supplied.

Don't know if I answered anything on electricity in the actual exam... was more of a mechanics or modern physics person :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cen92

Yeah I love modern physics and mechanics is pretty good. Waves and heat are ok too!

if they ask what coulumbs law is, can u just sai Q1Q2/ etc or dya have to say the english version? coz thats like 3 lines long and my brain cant handle that many physics words in one go D:

HATE electricity! I know the electricity definitions and demonstrations for Faradays & Lenz. Thats it!

I'll avoid it in Section A. If electricity defininitions come up in good old question 5 I can do them. And sure I'm grand on mechanics, waves, heat and modern:) I actually love modern physics :D
    whats the demonstrations for faradays and for lenz? D: holy sh*t im ****ed the only thing i know are my definitions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

muffinz wrote: »
    whats the demonstrations for faradays and for lenz? D: holy sh*t im ****ed the only thing i know are my definitions

Theres a coil of wire connected to the galvonometer and you move a magnet in towards it. Thats Faradays. Lenz's law is when you have an alluminium ring suspended from a wire, move a strong magnet away from it and the magnet follows it. Move the magnet closer, the ring movies away.

Muffinz, I'd imagine that while the format of the papers won't change to account for the tables, The marking scheme will :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

I'm thoroughly f.u.c.ked. Its 10.30 and I still have absoltuely LOADS to do in physics :( anyone else absolutely in intellectual shambles?

I'm thoroughly f.u.c.ked. Its 10.30 and I still have absoltuely LOADS to do in physics :( anyone else absolutely in intellectual shambles?
    dont worry, im fecked aswell. done nothing but doodle and scowl at my teacher for the past 2 years D:

• Advertisement

Theres a coil of wire connected to the galvonometer and you move a magnet in towards it. Thats Faradays. Lenz's law is when you have an alluminium ring suspended from a wire, move a strong magnet away from it and the magnet follows it. Move the magnet closer, the ring movies away.

Muffinz, I'd imagine that while the format of the papers won't change to account for the tables, The marking scheme will :(
    i cant even remember ever doin those before.. right im off to hit the books!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I know one experiment.

I can attempt the short questions.

I can give the option a go.

In short, I am SCREWED.

Advertisement