Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne Community School, Trim

Options
  • 20-06-2010 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

I'm not overly familiar with this school, is anyone able to tell me about it? Reputation? Academics, sports etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Bump out of interest ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Not sure how reviews of schools are done but i suppose this is my attempt: I attended the school, did my leaving there last month. In academic terms I never had any problems, any teachers I had over the course of my time there were top class, having a great knowledge of their subject, many were there for decades from the old VEC and christian brothers schools and had great experience, can't speak of teachers i didn't have obviously, so if you intend on doing well in the exams the school is a good place to go.

In terms of sport, the school achieves, but it doesn't achieve its full potential. Being smack bang in the middle of the hurling area of Meath with strong clubs such as Trim, Kildalkey, Kiltale, Boardsmill etc. nearby, the school is bursting with hurling talent. This shows in the way they easily won the Meath and North Leinster Senior C1 hurling this year. Previously (10/15 years ago when it was the CBS) the school was like a hurling academy, putting it up to tipperary, wexford and kilkenny teams, but since it became a community school less emphasis is put on this area and the standard has dropped. Football is in an even worse state, whereas several Meath players have come through the ranks of the school (Darren Fay, Mark Reilly, Brendan Murphy, Niall Murray, Mickey Burke), there is little to no effort or dedication to football, fellas only turn up to get off school. So if it's mainly sport (well football) that you are looking for in a school, go to St. Pats.

The school is well equipped, having 2 woodwork rooms, 2 DCG rooms, an engineering room, art rooms, music rooms, a massive gym, several playing pitches, a special needs centre, a canteen, and a library.

I could have completely missed what you wanted with all that, but I suppose you could just ask if you wanted more info.

Not sure how reviews of schools are done but i suppose this is my attempt: I attended the school, did my leaving there last month. In academic terms I never had any problems, any teachers I had over the course of my time there were top class, having a great knowledge of their subject, many were there for decades from the old VEC and christian brothers schools and had great experience, can't speak of teachers i didn't have obviously, so if you intend on doing well in the exams the school is a good place to go.

In terms of sport, the school achieves, but it doesn't achieve its full potential. Being smack bang in the middle of the hurling area of Meath with strong clubs such as Trim, Kildalkey, Kiltale, Boardsmill etc. nearby, the school is bursting with hurling talent. This shows in the way they easily won the Meath and North Leinster Senior C1 hurling this year. Previously (10/15 years ago when it was the CBS) the school was like a hurling academy, putting it up to tipperary, wexford and kilkenny teams, but since it became a community school less emphasis is put on this area and the standard has dropped. Football is in an even worse state, whereas several Meath players have come through the ranks of the school (Darren Fay, Mark Reilly, Brendan Murphy, Niall Murray, Mickey Burke), there is little to no effort or dedication to football, fellas only turn up to get off school. So if it's mainly sport (well football) that you are looking for in a school, go to St. Pats.

The school is well equipped, having 2 woodwork rooms, 2 DCG rooms, an engineering room, art rooms, music rooms, a massive gym, several playing pitches, a special needs centre, a canteen, and a library.

I could have completely missed what you wanted with all that, but I suppose you could just ask if you wanted more info.

I just wanted to know how well the school achieved in terms of exam results and students send to university/college you moreless answered that :D Also is it true about the lack of females compared to males?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

There are 2 secondary schools in Trim; the all girls school (Scoil Mhuire) and the mixed boyne community school. The majority of girls in the area go to scoil Mhuire but some still go to BCS, in my year the ratio of boys:girls would have been maybe 80:20, though in the years beneath me it was a bit more even, about 60:40.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Interested in this myself, so thanks for the information! Just wondering though, where is St. Pats?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

PauloMN wrote: »
    Interested in this myself, so thanks for the information! Just wondering though, where is St. Pats?

! Won't ask that around Navan. It is opposite the hospital here in Navan, some 850 + boys only and under the stewardship of one Colm O'Rourke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I'd have to echo CrabRevolution's earlier post. I attended St. Michaels for first year, after which we amalgamated with the VEC to form Boyne Community School.

Academic standards were high across the board, no shortage of teachers and they were all prepared to give it their all to make sure you understood the course material. If I'm not mistaken, 3 of my 6 LC teachers offered to take extra classes outside school hours to revise material leading into exams. A handful of students came close to 600 points in my year, and I reckon one third of my year would have been in the 400-600 bracket.

In terms of how we progressed...
    2 went to Trinity
    5 each to UCD, DCU and NUI Galway
    10-15 each to DIT, NUI Maynooth, IT Blanchardstown and Dundalk IT.
    2 went to Waterford IT and 1 to Carlow IT.
    (That's from what I know)

The academic staff had the respect of the students, and whenever I meet my former classmates we reminisce fondly of the banter and the good student-teacher relations in the school.

In my year there would have been about 100 students. There was something for everyone in terms of extracurricular activities - football, hurling, soccer, track & field, basketball, music, art, and there was some talk of starting a rugby team which I believe may have gotten off the ground the year after my LC.

The gender ratio has narrowed over the years, I did the LC in 2005 and at that stage there were about 80 boys for every 20 girls, if not higher, and as CrabRevolution said earlier, it's now a lot closer to parity.

upmeath wrote: »
    I'd have to echo CrabRevolution's earlier post. I attended St. Michaels for first year, after which we amalgamated with the VEC to form Boyne Community School.

Academic standards were high across the board, no shortage of teachers and they were all prepared to give it their all to make sure you understood the course material. If I'm not mistaken, 3 of my 6 LC teachers offered to take extra classes outside school hours to revise material leading into exams. A handful of students came close to 600 points in my year, and I reckon one third of my year would have been in the 400-600 bracket.

In terms of how we progressed...
    2 went to Trinity
    5 each to UCD, DCU and NUI Galway
    10-15 each to DIT, NUI Maynooth, IT Blanchardstown and Dundalk IT.
    2 went to Waterford IT and 1 to Carlow IT.
    (That's from what I know)

The academic staff had the respect of the students, and whenever I meet my former classmates we reminisce fondly of the banter and the good student-teacher relations in the school.

In my year there would have been about 100 students. There was something for everyone in terms of extracurricular activities - football, hurling, soccer, track & field, basketball, music, art, and there was some talk of starting a rugby team which I believe may have gotten off the ground the year after my LC.

The gender ratio has narrowed over the years, I did the LC in 2005 and at that stage there were about 80 boys for every 20 girls, if not higher, and as CrabRevolution said earlier, it's now a lot closer to parity.

Sounds all good then for me :D My Oxbridge dream shall be most promising now ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

sganyfx wrote: »
    Sounds all good then for me :D My Oxbridge dream shall be most promising now ^_^

Just keep the head down and work hard but don't be afraid to join in the banter the odd time, it's a laugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I went there when it was St. Micheals. That was one kip I will never miss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement