Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecomonics-monopoly Q

• 20-06-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Does a price discriminating monopolist have the same curve as an ordinary monopolist? I can't seem to find it in the book but in 2000 it came up and the marking schemes on examinations.ie only go back to 2001. Also in this q what bearing does the fact that the monopolist supplices a foreign perfectly competitive market have on the question??
    thanks!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Sorry for the bump but anyone got any idea at all?????:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

lc2010 wrote: »
    Does a price discriminating monopolist have the same curve as an ordinary monopolist? I can't seem to find it in the book but in 2000 it came up and the marking schemes on examinations.ie only go back to 2001. Also in this q what bearing does the fact that the monopolist supplices a foreign perfectly competitive market have on the question??
    thanks!;)
    Hope this answers your Q... Here goes...

Because the monopolist is operating in two markets, which is the principle behind price discrimination, he/she is operating in a monoply and in a perfectly competitive market.
    So yes he/she does have the same curve as an ordinary monopolist.
    And in the other market, there is a perfectly competitive curve.
    So, in essence, there are TWO curves.
    One for monopoly, one for perfectly competitive.

Get me?:D

Hope this answers your Q... Here goes...

Because the monopolist is operating in two markets, which is the principle behind price discrimination, he/she is operating in a monoply and in a perfectly competitive market.
    So yes he/she does have the same curve as an ordinary monopolist.
    And in the other market, there is a perfectly competitive curve.
    So, in essence, there are TWO curves.
    One for monopoly, one for perfectly competitive.

Get me?:D
    Yeah I get it, it's actually not hard at all, I suppose price discrimination was just a bit unclear to me! cheers for that!!!
    :cool::p:p

Yeah I get it, it's actually not hard at all, I suppose price discrimination was just a bit unclear to me! cheers for that!!!
    :cool::p:p
    No problems at all.
    Good luck, and enjoy the summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I'm fecked if monopoly or imperfect competition comes up. :pac: Have they ever brought up the same market in two consecutive years?

• Advertisement

Finical wrote: »
    I'm fecked if monopoly or imperfect competition comes up. :pac: Have they ever brought up the same market in two consecutive years?
    Very very unlikely.

But they may pull an Eavan Boland on it...;)

Finical wrote: »

Nope checked it today;) never!

Although a price discriminating monopoly hasn't come up since 2000!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Nope checked it today;) never!

Although a price discriminating monopoly hasn't come up since 2000!:eek:
    That has a good chance as the guy on 2fm said that could come up but he said he has been saying it for years. It better not come up this year. If it does:

facepalm3.jpg

Advertisement