Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ballistic shields and airsoft

• 20-06-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

hi

just wondering if shields are allowed when playing at most sites and what are your opinions on them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Personally dont like them, very unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There was a big thread on it a while ago debating different materials for them and if they're fair etc. Do a search and ya should find it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

The only way they are fair is if they aren't huge (like only cover your upper body, but leave your legs shown) or if they are made of cardboard (so that enough shots, they will disentagrate, just like real shields).

But, over the summer, I do plan on building one just for shear awesomeness skae, but won't be useing it at a skirmish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055750125&highlight=riot+shield&page=2

last thread on this i can remember

random skirmish - no

structures milsim or themed event as a prop - why not

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mayotobo

just saw the thread now. never thought it was as big a topic as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

mayotobo wrote: »
    just saw the thread now. never thought it was as big a topic as it is.

not really just to many people playing mw2 some time back and thinking 'wow i want to do this in airsoft' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mayotobo

the power of media i suppose:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Puding wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055750125&highlight=riot+shield&page=2

last thread on this i can remember

random skirmish - no

structures milsim or themed event as a prop - why not
    J.D.R wrote: »
    The only way they are fair is if they aren't huge (like only cover your upper body, but leave your legs shown) or if they are made of cardboard (so that enough shots, they will disentagrate, just like real shields).

But, over the summer, I do plan on building one just for shear awesomeness skae, but won't be useing it at a skirmish

I would also say they need to be realistic, eg, weigh a complete ****ing ton so movement is very hard like the real thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

so, PVC tubes filled with concrete and fixed in a rectangular frame that can accept cardboard sheets so it weights a ton and doesnt last forever
    I won't bother:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

It all comes down to the each site. I spoke to Brian out int he office and he's quite happy for people to bring out shields for use there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Paddy Pantsdown

ah man ya cant be usin bollix like dat, dats pure cheating, hiding behind a shield, shootin all around you.
    i wouldnt be happy if someone turned up to a skirmish and a lad had one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

ah man ya cant be usin bollix like dat, dats pure cheating, hiding behind a shield, shootin all around you.
    i wouldnt be happy if someone turned up to a skirmish and a lad had one.

Nice way to get the point across:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Sure they used to have one at HRTA, it was deadly craic with it, it didn't make you invincible either, slowed you down and restriced you to a side arm, it adds tactics and thought to gameplay. A bit like being restricted to say 100 rounds for a game, you're gonna be a lot more careful with how you use them, the same with using a shield, you have to develop a way of using it/ defeating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

There's nothing to stop you flanking behind someone with a shield or grenading them!

Myself I don't mind shields being used during a skirmish, as long as they're used in a fair manner :) ie.
    • Not full length (just enough to protect a torso).
    • Player drops it when hit, allowing the opposition to use it.
    • Hits from M203's, grenades ect... penetrate a shield, count as a hit...

Pretty much standard rules on some sites :pac:

Advertisement