Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress q

Options
  • 20-06-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hello :D

sorry if I'm in the wrong section,feel free to move.

I want to set up my own game website using wordpress (never used before by the way).I'm just wondering if anyone has got any tips or starters.I'm a complete noob so not sure if I'll be able to,but I really want to get a website set up over the summer since I have some spare time.

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Freemancon

What type of games are you looking to host on the website. Wordpress is a great CMS but it is not for everything. If you are going to install a wordpress core. I would suggest going to wordpress .org and reading through the installation instructions. If you are totally lost, might be time to call a designer. If you feel you can work through it then go for it.

For hosting...I would recommend Blacknight. I have found they deal with wordpress well and use security measures that some of the other guys don't. Also, they are great to work with. They have wordpress installers but I would recommend not using them. If you want to change anything in the future these easy-installers can be a real pain. Better to just do the install yourself - might be a bit of a learning curve but in the long run you will be much happier.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

When you say game website, what do you mean?

Do you want to review games and have video trailers etc...or??

If you are starting off then you will need a domain and hosting. As the above said I would go with Blacknight, they are Irish and an excellent hosting company.

As regards wordpress itself it depends how good you are with computers and if you have any web design experience. You can download free themes or get piad ones. I would recommend looking at some of the paid ones, they are around $25 but you can get ones specifically aimed at review/magazine type websites. To edit the look of these you would want to be somewhat familiar with web design and using some graphic editing software which is maybe where you might need outside help.

Advertisement