Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin NUVI 310 - 2 sets of maps on my unit?

Options
  • 20-06-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

Hi folks... 1st time poster on this forum. I've read through the stickies but can't find an answer.

About 3 years ago, I bought a Garmin NUVI 310 Deluxe (UK & Irl) in Halfords in Dublin. Last year, I bought a lifetime subscrption for City Navigator Europe. I downloaded the lastest version today (2011.10). Under "Map Info" on my unit , it shows 2 options (both are checked/ticked):
    City Navigator Europe NT v9 (1) Continental Europe
    CN Europe NT 2011.10 (1) UK & Ireland

What's the story here?... do I have 2 sets of maps installed? I assumed the newer version would overwrite the older one. How do I delete the older version?... I didn't see any helpful options in the MyGarmin website.

Also, I'm confused as to why one version is UK & Irl, but the other is Continental Europe... I thought I had bought a subscrption for all European countries (inc UK & Irl). We're off to France on hols soon & I want to be sure my unit has the laest maps of France/Spain installed.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

un tick the one you dont want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

duckysauce wrote: »
    un tick the one you dont want

Yeah, I know I can deselect but I want to remove the older version altogether. I just tried plotting a route through France but I got an "insufficient memory" message - so I need to free up the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭nhg

Re: the insufficient space - I had the same displayed, so I bought a memory card in aldi and popped it into the side of the sat nav and re-downloaded my maps again and I had no problems

nhg wrote: »
    Re: the insufficient space - I had the same displayed, so I bought a memory card in aldi and popped it into the side of the sat nav and re-downloaded my maps again and I had no problems

Cheers... I already have a 2Gb SD card installed. That's part of the problem. The card has one version of maps & the unit has the other. I figured this out by removing the SD card - I could see in Windows Explorer that the City Navigator Europe NT v9 (1) Continental Europe maps had dissappeared.

From what I can make out I have:
    City Navigator Europe NT v9 (1) Continental Europe on the SD card
    CN Europe NT 2011.10 (1) UK & Ireland on the Unit

When I bought the lifetime CN Europe maps last year, they were supposed to include UK & Irl plus all of continental Europe. For some reason my unit/SD only seems to see UK & Irl for 2011. Continental Europe is still the NT v9 (2009) version.

What I'm trying to do is ensure I have only the latest (2011) version of maps for all countries on the unit/SD. I assume the internal unit memory may not hold everything, so I'll need to have most 2011 maps on the unit, with any additional 2011 maps on the card. I want to remove the v9/2009 maps completely.

I know that the combined unit + SD should be plenty for holding one full version of maps - I think my problem is that I need to remove the v9 ones to free up space for the 2011 ones.

Anybody else out there with any ideas?... in a nutshell I'm trying to figure out how to delete all the old v9 maps & then update my unit/SD card so they contain the latest (2011) maps for UK, Irl & continental Europe.

Spent ages on this again this morning & just hitting a brick wall. Can't figure it out - I must be missing a simple step somewhere? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

is the old version one large *.img file ?

duckysauce wrote: »
    is the old version one large *.img file ?

As it happens, I just deleted a large .img file off the SD & then went through the whole download process again. This time, the old v9 option is gone on the Map Info screen... I now only have UK & Irl 2011. So where are the 2011 maps for the rest of Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

The update process should have installed all the maps onto your computer, along with the Garmin Mapsource program. The program can be used to select any extra European maps you need and transfer them to your nuvi, or to the SD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Just make sure that you compare area you are going to with google earth/maps or whatever before you go.

I got the lifetime sub for my unit recently and had the same space problem even with an SD card. Updated ireland and spain using mapinstall. Checked a few new roads here and it had updated them so I thought it was fine, but when I got to Barcelona and put in destination only 2 roads appeared on the unit and neither was the one I needed. Managed to find way there using signs but basically ended up blind for the rest of the holiday.

If I had not bothered updating I would have been fine:mad:

Advertisement