Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone in wash

Options
  • 20-06-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

:( My daughters Nokia 5530 had about an hour in the washing machine. I have dismantled and dried with a dryer, and it is now sitting on top of my warm coffee machine. What is the possibility of it ever working again......:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not very likely im afraid with that amount of exposure. You can drop it into a repair pace and see what they can salvage. Their is also loads of different suggestions regards dying, like hotpress, rice etc. You could try some but i wouldn't have much hope after that amount of water tbh. Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chilloutman

mate there is a chance basically take it all apart and buy some isopropyl alcohol you can buy it in any good chemist about 500ml for 10euro hen just get an old tooth brush and and clean it with the alcohol then let it dry for a day,

after this put it in the charger and if it does not charge straight away leave charger in it for a day or 2.

also it might not last too long if it does work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

I hope this has been a lesson for you....next time you wash your phone make sure you use the delicates cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Either way, because the phone has had a build up of moisture, there is a significant chance of a build up of bactera causing a fungus to grow inside the phone and this will short circuit everything. Also, was the phone switched on when it went into the washing machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Scrummage

dragona wrote: »
    :( My daughters Nokia 5530 had about an hour in the washing machine. I have dismantled and dried with a dryer, and it is now sitting on top of my warm coffee machine. What is the possibility of it ever working again......:(

Similar thing happend to me recently, unfotrunately nothing you can do it has probable been shorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Had an old motorola flip that wne through a wash cycle. Kept it a few days in the hot press and it started working again. It didn't work properly at first but gradualy came back to life over a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Thanks to all - phone is probably screwed:( Will let it dry out for a week or so and then see.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

A friend of mine was told by a guy in the phone shop to take her phone apart and put on an the back of the tv for a few hours when she got it wet, I tried it too when it happened to me and it worked for both of us. I've no idea why it works but it seems to. Mine just fell in the sink though, the washing machine probably would have done a lot more damage

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Scrummage

dragona wrote: »
    Thanks to all - phone is probably screwed:( Will let it dry out for a week or so and then see.
    did you have any luck after it dried out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

If it doesn't work straight away leave it alone for a few days, may start working after a while.

At least you didn't do what I did and accidentally put the phone in the microwave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

I threw a phone that was turned on into my washing machine once. I was full sure it was goosed. I let it dry for a few days then stuck another battery in it and it worked. New battery and a really clean phone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I put my ipod through the washing machine before :pac:

Just leave it turned off and in the hotpress to dry out for a good few days.

Might be OK as long as it's completely dry before you turn it on.

Advertisement