Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to volunteer but have no experience?

• 20-06-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭

I would love to volunteer even simply to have something to do. I have signed up with volunteering.ie but I haven't got any read back yet. Well I got one email from bodywhys but they wanted three references and I wasn't really sure what to write down, plus I could only start after taking a course in Sept.

I would love to work with children, I'm half way through a physics degree and helping kids get interested in science would be amazing but just from flicking around you seem to need to be a qualified teacher...

I'm not really a sporty person so I don't know if I would be any help with scouts or those sort of things.

Does anyone have any ideas on anything I could do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I currently volunteer for Saint Vincent de Paul over in the US. I mentor children some evenings. I have a degree not related to teaching, that's not required, its basically just to give these children an hour of attention after school to do homework or something extra, usually for those in families or areas who may not get the attention they need. I'm sure SVDP has something in Ireland like that available.

Also, they ask for references like any other job, to know that you are a trustworthy person. I had to have a background check for my application, obviously they can't have just any one working with these children!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Don't let it deter you! Maybe volunteer somewhere that isn't so specialized? Oxfam is a good start, or an animal shelter, or SVP like above poster suggested.

For references you could use old school teachers, college tutors or lecturers. like the above OP suggested, its really just for a bg check. After a period of time you can use your volunteer co-ordinator for a reference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Maybe best bet would be to get involved as a volunteer with scouts, OMAC, SJA etc, you can then throw in some science during meetings?

feel free to throw me a PM if you want some more info

miju wrote: »
    Maybe best bet would be to get involved as a volunteer with scouts, OMAC, SJA etc, you can then throw in some science during meetings?

feel free to throw me a PM if you want some more info

Just out of curiousity, what is OMAC? I've seen the name a lot on this forum. I keep assuming its something Order of Malta related, due to the OM at the start, but then it doesnt make sense with the AC? Unless AC is Ambulance Corps? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Just out of curiousity, what is OMAC? I've seen the name a lot on this forum. I keep assuming its something Order of Malta related, due to the OM at the start, but then it doesnt make sense with the AC? Unless AC is Ambulance Corps? :confused:

Your correct OMAC is the just the abbreviated name for Order of Malta Ambulance Corps and they are all a friendly bunch. I volunteer with them myself and the work can be youth orientated, community sick/elderly care related or first aid related though you can obviously do all three.

I'm busy enough with just the first aid and youth parts though :) It is the second largest youth organisation in Ireland IIRC next to the scouts. If you want any more info feel free to PM me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement