Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone being given carers allowance for me against my will

• 20-06-2010 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

My mother has been claiming carers allowance for me since I was sixteen, at the time I was out of school and not doing very well for a number of very complicated reasons. Fast forward three years later, I am back in school, doing my leaving cert and doing well all things considered.

I told my mother that I felt that I didn't need to be cared for anymore,that there was no need for her to continue receiving the money and her doing so made me uncomfortable. She wanted to keep the money, but I still sent a letter to the social welfare anyway. They got in contact with my mother and told her that an inspector would be out in 2 to three months. However when the inspector called he only spoke to my older sister, who agrees with me, and not to my mother or me.

Today I was told by my other sister that my mother is appealing the decision and even though the money was supposed to be stopped last week, collected money from the post office this week. I believe that she is doing this on the grounds

This really upsets me as I don't get along with my mother and she is only using this money to fund her drinking problem, I honestly want as little to do with the woman as possible. What can I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

write to the minister and explain your view
    write to the chief appeals officer at dolier street and explain your view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dillydaydream

hi..i wonder whether it is a common thing.

There seem to be people who know exactly what they want out of the benefits system and use it very well to their advantage.

I spoke with two mums of five year olds last week who had just got their children assessed with adhd (plus some specific minor psychological impairments). Both children will get a well deserved and beneficial extra five hours teacher support next Sept in school.

That's great.

Both mums then went on to tell me about the carers allowance they will now get and the bonus money in june.

Their children do not need significant parental supervision or support. One boy comes and plays alongside my three under five years olds quite happily and has had sleepovers here with all pleases and thank yous and good behavior. Tight boundaries and clear rules are a must as well as positive praise, space and stimulation.
    At their own home, they are well able to get up and entertain themselves with the tv and the food stash for about 5 hours until the mum comes downstairs at two after sleeping off a hangover.

I have a degree in psychology and worked twenty years in the field. I cared for one boy who was ten years of age with the mental age of a 9 month old, doubly incontinent, quadraplegic and needed to be fed through a tube in the stomach. A nappy change meant using a hoist, though his mum still scooped him up in her arms (how i don't know). He was very sweet and has since passed on i am sad to say

His mum deserved the carers allowance and any other support available.

Is it a common thing to exploit the system that should be there for those who really deserve it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

For your mother to claim this allowance she would need to be giving you full time care. If you're over sixteen, in school full time and state that she is not providing full time care to you in a letter to the Carers Section they should stop her payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

AvaKinder wrote: »
    For your mother to claim this allowance she would need to be giving you full time care. If you're over sixteen, in school full time and state that she is not providing full time care to you in a letter to the Carers Section they should stop her payment.

To claim CA, the caree must be certified medically for an ilness that lasts or is likely to last at least 1 year. That ilness must entail extra care than would normally apply. If thats not true in the OPs case, then DSW are within their rights to come looking. And there is the very possible scenario that she would have to repay any assessed overpayment. She is also likely to come under the radar if/when she applies for any other welfare payment.

Advertisement