Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berths on Lough Derg

• 20-06-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm interested in getting a berth on Lough Derg, down around the lower end (lower Shannon). What is peoples opinion of the Derg Marina? I visited there a few weeks ago, and the pontoons looked very shoddy and in bad repair. Does anybody have any experience of the marina there?

Or could people recommend any place else in the vicinity?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The real experts on this topic are over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I would advise you to stay out of Derg Marina unless it is a last resort!!
    Other options include
    • Lough Derg Holiday Village, past two mile gate on the Scarif Road
    • Kincora Marina, again on the Scarif Road out of Killaloe
    • Harbour Village, before you get to Kincora Marina as you head out of killaloe. You might get something fairly cheap in here as all the houses were sold with a private berth afaik so you might be able to rent one off someone who bought a house here but has no boat!
    There is also a small private marina in Whitegate, about 5km from Mountshannon but i think Shannon Castle Line have pretty much taken it over! Probly to far up the river for you anyway!

Lough Derg Holiday Village have a lovely quiet marina but they have quite high levels of silt which makes the passge into it from the lake quiet shallow so might not be suitable if you have a big boat! There are some big boats in there berthed right at the entrance but afaik all the berths along there are full!

Kincora and Harbour Village are both very nice, 10x better then Derg Marina anyway!

Try asking the lads over on www.powerboat.ie I know quite a few are berthed around the marinas I've mentioned and would be able to givce you more advice!

Advertisement