Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women checking you out, when they're with a boyfriend!!

• 20-06-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Now, I know this shouldn't bea bad complaint (a woman checking you out), but this particular situation made me feel a tad uncomfortable.

I was in a petrol station earlier, and as I was walking out of the shop after paying, I was kind of messing with my phone, and a car pulls in to one of the pumps. I look up and stop walking to let the car through, and the woman in the passenger seat is just staring at me and smiling. I'm kind of "what the f**k", as there was a wee baby in the back, and her bloke, it was obviously her bloke hopped out to fill up the car. I walked to a bin to chuck in some rubbish, and had to pass the car again on the way to mine. She was smiling again, and staring at me.
    I looked, but looked away again (to be honest, she was very pretty..), so I didn't look again.
    I'm thinking "what the hell are you doing!!you're spoken for..!" I don't know, it made me feel uncomfortable. I looked around, and there was nobody else behind me that she could have been checking out, unless she was day dreaming...!!
    Anyone ever experience this?
    I wouldn't mind, if she was single, she probably wouldn't give me the time of day...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

personal issue ~ someone smiled today and it made a huge impact on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Uhm, I'm sorry but you have absolutely no way of knowing that she was "checking you out". She could have been smiling at nothing, she could have been listening to something funny on the radio and smiling at that, she could have been on the phone and smiling at whatever the other person was saying, she could have been slagging you off to herself and laughing at your clothes/hair/face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

... and the guy filling the tank could've been her brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Uhm, I'm sorry but you have absolutely no way of knowing that she was "checking you out". She could have been smiling at nothing, she could have been listening to something funny on the radio and smiling at that, she could have been on the phone and smiling at whatever the other person was saying, she could have been slagging you off to herself and laughing at your clothes/hair/face.

Honestly your blowing this way out of proportion probably because you thought she was pretty,
    I was in a petrol station today and a woman with her kids smiled at me three times
    and two men in the shop said hi, Really just being pleasant and in a petrol station there
    isn't anyone to look really, I think it's an irish problem being freindly being mistaken
    for flirting, It's notl ike she wolf whistled or asked for your number just being pleasant.
    It's a real shame people can't just be friendly without it being misinterpreted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Dude, it wasn't you, it was the Diet Coke in your hand that you just bought. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Sometimes, Honest George, it might seem like a woman is smiling at you when she is actually just smiling in your direction. I've often seen a bloke and smiled in his direction, for the silliest of reasons, maybe he looks like my brother, and the thought makes me smile, or maybe he's wearing a t-shirt that my husband also owns, which makes me smile, or sometimes I'm just thinking in my head about something, could be anything, which makes me smile.

There are times when I happen to come to my senses and see a guy smiling back at me and I feel embarrassed, thinking "Sh!t, he thinks I was smiling at him." when the truth might be that I hadn't even seen him, Could it be that something llike this happened to you? Especially as her partner had just left and her son was in her company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

yeah, it could have been for any of those reasons, but when you get that eye contact for just that little bit too long, it's a bit uncomfortable..... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Undecidedsofar

take it with the goodness in which it was delivered - that's the message - a smile is a smile no matter where or at who it was delivered - its a gift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Will you make a issue out of it the next time a woman looks at you/through you and:rolleyes: doesn't smile. Stay off the sour grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭annemarie13

the fact she was looking at u tells me she wont be faithful to her man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

the fact she was looking at u tells me she wont be faithful to her man.

:confused::confused:

Please say you're being sarcastic?

If not, you're saying that all women should avert their eyes if a man walks past them? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Stu

OH OP, you poor thing. I hope it didn't ruin your day, a women smiling in your direction. Jeez, life is tough sometimes. Don't pay these smiley happy people any attention. Keep your head down and your eyes to the ground when your out and about in future so you don't have to put up with this sort of thing. Seriously though, what would you do if you were out and somebody gave you a dirty look, call the guards :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

My deepest sympathies OP, this kind of traumatic experience should be brought to the attention of a counsellor immediately, google some and see who could fit you in urgently, just be strong, and know that not all women are like this, if I could reach through my pc screen and hug you I would, you're an absolute trooper.*

*above post may be somewhat sarcastic in response to non event

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I think we're done here.

In future folks, can you please be mindful of what forum you're posting in. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement