Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Fudge Cake.

Options
  • 20-06-2010 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I plan on making one for a party on Tuesday,
    anyone have any simple receipes??
    There's loads on the internet, I just want a simple one??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

This is really simple, and staggeringly rich and delicious. Eat with vanilla ice cream. I don't know where it originally came from; I got it from my friend.

200g of good quality dark chocolate, minimum 65% cocoa solids
    1 tablespoon double strength espresso coffee, hot
    200g of butter softened
    200g sugar
    5 eggs
    1 heaped tablespoon of flour

Method

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and flour a 25cm sandwich tin.

Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a mixing bowl.

Set the bowl over barely simmering water and pour on the hot coffee.

Stir until chocolate has melted then add the butter and let it melt in to the chocolate.

Add the sugar and stir well, then break the eggs into the mixture one at a time mixing well after each egg has been added. Finally mix in the flour.

Pour the mixture into the sandwich tin and bake for 20-25 minutes. The cake should be very moist in the middle.

Leave the cake to cool completely before turning out. Ideally, you should wait till the next day before serving it - chocolate cakes are always better when they have settled down a little, and in this case, where we are concentrating on pure and simple flavours, it is even more advisable.

To Make the Glaze:
    Melt some chocolate and butter in a pan over simmering water.

Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix until the mixture reaches a thick fudge-like consistency.

Allow to cool slightly before pouring over the cake.

Allow the cake to sit in a cool place for approximately 2 hours before enjoying,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Anna Molly

Thank you soo much :)
    I'm planning on making it tomorrow, for tuesday.
    Will it be okay in the fridge over night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Absolutely. In fact it will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Hello all,

I'm looking for a yummy,moist chocolate cake recipe for my mum's birthday on Monday. She likes combinations of dark chocolate, orange, coffee and cherry flavours so I was wondering if I used a Nigella recipe or the lovely looking espresso infused one above but just replaced the regular choc and cocoa with dark varieties I'd be onto a winner? Perhaps with some cherries on top for decoration? I don't want anything too heavy but I want it to have a lovely dark-chocolately flavour.

Thanks!

Edit: Any suggestions on a different filling to the usual butter/cocoa/icing sugar variety? Maybe with the above flavours in mind? I saw someone using apricot jam but I'd be worried that would be too sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Just wondering if you wait till the melted choc/butter and suger mixture should be cooled before the eggs are added. Also what is meant by "hot coffee", is it mixed with some hot water before it's added, just there's no mention of water is recipe. Apologies if these are stupid questions, only baking for a while.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Gary add the eggs into the warm melted mixture, if you let it cool the chocolate will start to set. When it says coffee it's including the water in that, so you make the coffee the way you would a cup of it with water, and just add that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm looking for a yummy,moist chocolate cake recipe for my mum's birthday on Monday. She likes combinations of dark chocolate, orange, coffee and cherry flavours so I was wondering if I used a Nigella recipe or the lovely looking espresso infused one above but just replaced the regular choc and cocoa with dark varieties I'd be onto a winner? Perhaps with some cherries on top for decoration? I don't want anything too heavy but I want it to have a lovely dark-chocolately flavour.

Thanks!

Edit: Any suggestions on a different filling to the usual butter/cocoa/icing sugar variety? Maybe with the above flavours in mind? I saw someone using apricot jam but I'd be worried that would be too sweet.

you could make the chocolate cake and fill it with cherry conserve (tesco used to do one) and cover with chocolate ganache, serve with fresh cream.

Thanks for that Acoshla...much appreciated.

Just one more question, is the flour plain or self raising.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I would say it's plain, given that Self Raising is normally mentioned if it's used, and there's only a tiny amount of flour really so it isn't going to rise much.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

kerash wrote: »
    you could make the chocolate cake and fill it with cherry conserve (tesco used to do one) and cover with chocolate ganache, serve with fresh cream.

Nigella's chocolate cake was a success. I topped it with raspberries for decoration. Next time I would definitely put some conserve or something similar in the middle as it needed a bit of extra moisture - when it was served with raspberry coulis and vanilla ice cream it went down a treat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I made the Nigella one over the weekend. Kinda feel apart when I turned it out :o but I think this was due to my sandwich tins not being deep enough. But once I iced it, it looked grand and no one noticed. Was delish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭katie21

Has anyone tried the 1st recipe given here?how did it turn out?

Advertisement