Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climb from Wicklow Gap?

• 20-06-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

Was over the Wicklow Gap today and noticed the ESB road heading up the elevation to the south (?). Was on the tri bike, so no way was I going to take a look without the triple (:)).

Has anyone taken a road bike up there? Can you get to the summit?

It looks Kippure-esque (but with a better surface), which I'm a big fan of!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

It's cycleable. I went up a couple of years ago. I think it might add another 2km on to the climb. Not as steep as the road to Kippure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

That's the road up to Turlough Hill reservoir/generator. It's a nice cycle up, the wind can really be against you sometimes - it's a nice addition to the climb of the Wicklow Gap. There's a nice offroad descent from the summit right down to Glendalough if you're that way inclined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Been up it plenty of times and it is a nice climb after all you've done up to that point. Also steeper than anything you tackled to there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

iregk wrote: »
    Been up it plenty of times and it is a nice climb after all you've done up to that point. Also steeper than anything you tackled to there as well.

you cannot be serious! you mean from the glendalough side? if so what about the 15% section around the coach/car layby which starts the climb propper going westwards towards WG then again it could be worse, but I doubt it [Ive never actually gone on the private road to turlough hill]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

me@ucd wrote: »
    you cannot be serious! you mean from the glendalough side? if so what about the 15% section around the coach/car layby which starts the climb propper going westwards towards WG then again it could be worse, but I doubt it [Ive never actually gone on the private road to turlough hill]

I sh!t you not and yes, from the Glendalough side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

me@ucd wrote: »

The old quarry bit? That's never 15%, is it? I would have thought more like 10%. It's one of my favourite bit of descending in Wicklow though, so maybe you're right... The little road up to the top looks much steeper, though I've never actually investigated. I will next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I doubt that's anywhere near 15%. I was up and down it yesterday and I didn't think it was too bad. I agree about the descent. You hardly have to touch the brakes from the top down. Motorbikes whizzing by adds to the thrill.

We had intended to do the loop from Laragh over the Wicklow Gap and through Hollywood, following the W200 route through Aughavanna, Slieve Mann etc and back to Laragh. I had to be home at a certain time to drop child no. 2 to a party and when we reached the small roads after Hollywood, I thought we mightn't make it in time. Hence doing the Gap the opposite way too. I am going have to start getting up at 4am at this rate!

I saw that ESB road and it piqued my curiosity alright - thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Thanks...definitely one for the next spin down there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Wickow Gap is a very easy climb really; that ramp goes to about 11-12% for only maybe 2-300 metres. Apart from that it is 2-3% before and settles down to 5-6% after. Haven't tried this extesnsion but the idea that it would be steeper is hardly unbelievable; kippure is certainly steeper than any part before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭redmenace1

If memory serves me right its about 25% in spots:eek:
    Coming down is as tricky as going up as the surface is bad and the sheep can wander into your path, plus its twisty.
    Good climb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

redmenace1 wrote: »
    If memory serves me right its about 25% in spots:eek:
    Coming down is as tricky as going up as the surface is bad and the sheep can wander into your path, plus its twisty.
    Good climb though.

I don't think memory does serve you right, I doubt it's any more than 12%, it's not hard or long but it does add a couple of hundred metres ascent to Wicklow Gap, it gives a nice 500m ascent from the junction with the Glendalough Road to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I meet a wirey old man in the glendasan and he said its 45% and only giants can climb it ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

He then also told me that Marco Pantani would need a stairmaster to climb it .... i kid you not ....

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭redmenace1

[QUOTE=Guybrush)........it's not hard or long but it does add a couple of hundred metres ascent to Wicklow Gap, :rolleyes:

Well if its giving you a couple of hundred metres ascent on top of WG, and its aint long then its fair to say that it will be hard. No?
    I stick with my earlier point that it could be about 25% in spots. Can someone ride it with a Garmin please:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

25% is extreme, Kippure only gets to around 20 momentarily at the very steepest point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Guybrush T wrote: »
    it gives a nice 500m ascent from the junction with the Glendalough Road to the top.

9K according to MMR

117930.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

loyatemu wrote: »
    9K according to MMR

Just to be really nerdy (I ride this route every now and then) you can go another 500m around the reservoir thing to make it 10K

Advertisement