Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking a chicken and electricity went off for 6 hours!

Options
  • 20-06-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Last night I was cooking a chicken and there were 20 minutes left of cooking time and the power went off.

The chicken has been sitting in the oven overnight because the power didnt come on until 6 hours later.

What can I do now? Do i throw it all in the bin?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm very slow to throw any food out, but I'd be rather suspect of a chicken that was left in a warm oven overnight.
    Better be safe in this case and chuck it!
    (sometimes I surprise myself:rolleyes:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, it's 9 pm now, so what has the chicken been doing all day?!

Better safe than sorry, I'd say. When in doubt, chuck it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yeah, sorry Im in New Zealand. Its 8 in the morning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Get rid of it - don't risk it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, sorry Im in New Zealand. Its 8 in the morning here.

Phew! I was wondering if you'd just left it sitting all day before asking here :D.

• Advertisement

Ok, the people have spoken, its going in the bin.

What a waste of my money and my sunday. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,505 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Some quick advice there and we don't know any details. Better safe than sorry I agree with the other posters, but:
    Hi guys,

Last night I was cooking a chicken and there were 20 minutes left of cooking time and the power went off.

What kind of chicken was it (what weight?) and how long had it been in the oven and at what temperature?

Chicken always needs to be well done and thoroughly cooked, but there's a difference between well done the way I know it (and the rest of the world) and the way the British (Irish) cook / burn everything to death :rolleyes:

Did you cut into the meat to check if the meat was cooked (not pink)?

unkel wrote: »
    Some quick advice there and we don't know any details. Better safe than sorry I agree with the other posters, but:

What kind of chicken was it (what weight?) and how long had it been in the oven and at what temperature?

Chicken always needs to be well done and thoroughly cooked, but there's a difference between well done the way I know it (and the rest of the world) and the way the British (Irish) cook / burn everything to death :rolleyes:

Its was only a very small chicken. It has been in for an hour at 200 C after preheating the oven to 250.

I cut it this morning and the meat was white, my girlfriend looked at it maybe 10 mins later and reckons it was all good and so put it in the fridge. When I get home from work im gonna turf it out me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you had it sitting in the oven for hours I would throw it out, probably all dried out anyway. But if power had gone off with 20mins to go I would have left it in for 40mins or so more and not opened it and then cut it to check it was cooked. Ovens can keep temp high for ages (if unopened), I often use the timer on mine to turn it off and then leave it cooking for 10-30mins.

rubadub wrote: »
    If you had it sitting in the oven for hours I would throw it out, probably all dried out anyway. But if power had gone off with 20mins to go I would have left it in for 40mins or so more and not opened it and then cut it to check it was cooked. Ovens can keep temp high for ages (if unopened), I often use the timer on mine to turn it off and then leave it cooking for 10-30mins.

Yep its in the bin.
    Power was off, cutting to see if its cooked by candle-light is a no go.
    Unfortunate but sure f**k it Ill try again next Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

unkel wrote: »

I agree with everything you say (Irish style - just to be safe - roast pork :eek:!! etc) but the issue here is not so much the cooking time but rather the time it spent overnight in a warm oven.

Advertisement