Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed.

• 20-06-2010 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

I've had a Canon 1000D now for the past month or two. The first thing I've been really looking forward to snapping shots at is a big gig coming up. I haven't really brought it to any such events so far and to be honest I'm kind of wary of doing so. I just wanted to enquire about peoples opinions on bringing a digital SLR to a gig. Bad idea or not? Anyone had any problems doing so before in terms of theft or the like?

Thanks for any advice available.
    Danny.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your chances of getting decent shots unless you're right up the front is slim. and if you're right up the front, a bouncer may take exception at you bringing a 'professional' camera to the gig.
    i'd say leave the camera at home and enjoy the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If you have a big flash on it people will probably think your a photographer working the someone the band or something. They will more than likely give you space depending on the kind of gig it is.

I wouldn't worry about theft as long as you keep it around your neck.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Name the gig/location and we could probably give you more accurate advice.
    A few people stopped at the Pink gig in the RDS last night with 'Big' cameras. One or two of them 'Knew their rights' (Not!!!) and tried to stir it up. Bad idea!! Then you're definitely not bringing it in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

It's Green Day, in Marley Park. What's that venue like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I wouldn't risk it. Three main reasons:

If you don't get in past security with it (and they will be checking) you'll have to bring it home - which on days like these, means traveling through crowds for ages and then back again just for the gig.

Unless you're up the front, you wont get much decent of the bands. You could get interesting crowd shots and that, but doubt that's what you're after. If you are up the front it could get a bit heavy (I know it's GD, but still!) and you could break the camera!

Extra weight! You'll be lugging it around all day, worrying it'll get damaged in crowds, or have beer spilt on it!

You could apply for a photo-pass, but I wouldn't hold out much hope!

• Advertisement

Marlay is a real 50/50 sort of place as regards getting it in and using it.
    You should be safe enough as regards theft etc, but getting it in there and being allowed to use it is the question.

If you do bring it -
    DO NOT attempt to use it if you get in to the Pit. Either it will be taken off you or you will be removed. Likewise up against the barrier at the pit. Bear in mind that this is where the security is concentrated and they are usually briefed on this.
    Carry it in a regular bag/holdall/backpack and not a big fancy camera bag so as not to draw attention to yourself from either Security or thieves.
    Use it only for a short time at the begining of the gig then put it away and enjoy the show, possibly take a couple more towards the end of the show as it gets dark.
    Don't expect to get any spectacular band shots as if you're close enough to take those or using a large Pro lens then you'll be stopped in any case. (I presume that you'll be using a kit lens though)

Well I have a 75-300mm lens and was planning on keeping away from the pit and the front, and just shooting from a distance, seeing as i get some great zoom on that lens. I saw Green Day in october and i find it so difficult to enjoy a gig when you're up the front. I'm only a small fellow. haha. So I thought this time around, just relax towards the back and take some pictures. Opinions?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

422nd wrote: »
    Well I have a 75-300mm lens and was planning on keeping away from the pit and the front, and just shooting from a distance, seeing as i get some great zoom on that lens. I saw Green Day in october and i find it so difficult to enjoy a gig when you're up the front. I'm only a small fellow. haha. So I thought this time around, just relax towards the back and take some pictures. Opinions?

will be hard with that lens, not enough light will get in, tho it might be bright enough early on for a few

Well the fact that it stays bright so late these days, shouldn't be a problem methinks. :D

will be hard with that lens, not enough light will get in, tho it might be bright enough early on for a few
    Well the fact that it stays bright so late these days, shouldn't be a problem methinks. :D

Your main problem with that lens is going to be security.
    As far as most of them are concerned it's a big looking lens and therefore a big looking camera being used for 'Professional' purposes.
    That's enough to either stop you going in with it, stop you taking photographs, take it off you, demand that the photos be wiped, evict you or all or any of the above.

And YES, they can demand that you wipe the card. It's a ticketed performance subject to terms and conditions on the ticket, which includes the prohibition of recording or photographing of the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Just leave it at home....security guys are oafs at the best of times and Green Day wouldn't want someone else stealing their merchandise rights. ;)

I guess the general consensus is to leave it at home... Hmm. Maybe it's for the best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I'd bring a good p&s, hold rock steady for snaps not just of the performers but your friends, and enjoy the gig instead of turning it into work!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

It's Green Day, in Marley Park. What's that venue like?

Not a chance. They give you a good search going in and if they find a big lens or decent camera you wont be getting in with it. The band have image rights and they need to be protected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

yeah a good compact with a bit of zoom would get you some nice pics :)
    the slr will only end up being taken or broken or some other calamity!!

Advertisement