Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Barry's Pub, Cork

Options
  • 20-06-2010 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Has anyone any feedback on Tom Barry's pub in Cork City? I've heard it has a big beer garden and apparently it is very popular, just wondering how big it is and is it worth a trip? Know of any other pubs that have a beer garden for non- smokers, as well as the smokers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I don't know of any pub that seperates the smokers from sane people ;)

The beer garden is fairly big, but is well closed in so it feels cosy. There's seats for about 60 people. The bar itself is fairly small so when it gets busy it can take ages to squeeze throught the crowd to get a pint. I'm not sure if they're lighting the fire outside these days, but it used to be brilliant if you could get the little corner close to it.

It's definitely worth a trip. It's one of my favorite pubs and I've only ever heard one person say anything bad about it....... but there was probably extenuating circumstances.....

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Nice pub - the beer garden can get packed so it's not ideal during the day, not like the Tower up the road with the big back garden. although i think that's closed since.

Not fond of the staff in Tom Barry's myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Tom Barry's is one of my favourite places to go. The outside is probably bigger than the inside and as someone else said it can be a bit of a squeeze to get to the bar when the place is busy. The beer garden is great with fairy lights strung up around the place. Overall there's a nice atmosphere there and well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm a big fan of the place - one of the best pubs in Cork. Always a good vibe in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i havnt been there in years, i think i was only in there once even though i lived across the road, the only thing i remember was the beer garden being huge and the bar being extremely packed,
    so its a good place to sit out in the good evenings but it can take a while to get a pint,

there is a pub not far away half way down douglas street that also has a massive beer garden, cant remember the name though:(

its on the left hand side as you head towards high street,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Bassfish

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Nice pub - the beer garden can get packed so it's not ideal during the day, not like the Tower up the road with the big back garden. although i think that's closed since.

Not fond of the staff in Tom Barry's myself.

The tower closed about 4 years ago, used to live near it, great garden but dank enough pub. Tom Barry's is about my favourite spot in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 absinth

bladebrew wrote: »
    i
    there is a pub not far away half way down douglas street that also has a massive beer garden, cant remember the name though:(

its on the left hand side as you head towards high street,

Fionn Barra - another great spot with plenty of space and picnic tables out back.

Since the Tower closed a few years back, my top 3 spots for beer gardens in Cork city would be the Fionn Barra, the Franciscan Well Brewery and Tom Barrys. I'm sure there are a few more within the city limits but none come to mind immediately. Although... for slightly swankier surroundings, Suas (above Wagamama on South Main st) and SoHo (Grand Parade) also have rooftop decks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The Crane Lane has kind of a beer corridor, as opposed to a garden, but it's still a nice place to sit outside in. Perhaps not the best sun trap, but it's also covered when it's raining which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I'm a Tom Barrys fan. If its a sunny day you need to get there early if you want a table!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Gotten fond of the bar next door, think it's also owned by Mr Barry. Bar Rigalle. Tiny outdoor area though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

It's been a while since I've been able to frequent the beer gardens of Cork, but Tom Barrys was a fine pub at the time, the Fionnbarra was too (up and down a bit tho, dunno whether it's up or down now!), the Tower was my favourite beer garden (it's apartments there now unfortunately). What's the Franciscan well like these days? Doh - somehow missed absints post.

Coughlans on Douglas streets has a bit of place out the back, great for stout, real locals/regulars spot tho! The kinda place where the regulars don't appreciate randomers upsetting the vibe!

Just back from Tom Barrys, great as usual even for a Wednesday night. Not looking forward to getting up in the morning:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Not fond of it, clientele are fine and the pints are fine, it's the staff that I'm not keen on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

razorblunt wrote: »
    Not fond of it, clientele are fine and the pints are fine, it's the staff that I'm not keen on.

Only been there once but I have heard alot of people complain about the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

razorblunt wrote: »

I concur on this.

I thought the staff were sound enough last night. One of the barmaids even had a drink with us during supping up time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, some of the stuff are unbelievably rude! Some of them nice though. I love that pub - lovely and chilled, friendly vibe and great beer garden. Music isn't always great though - it's like they just put on the radio, and while the roaring fire is lovely, no need for it in June. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 boc123

Why anyone would drink in that bar is beyone me. The women working behind the bar are the most ignorant people you could ever met. Screaming across the bar at respectable people that there is no way they are getting served in order to embarrass them in front of everyone. Definitely the worst bar in Cork and that is purely because of the staff. The layout and physical building itself is quite nice. I would never go there because of the way the staff act.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

One of my favourite spots when I lived in Cork. Lovely on a summer's evening with the fairy lights and outdoor garden. It can get crowded as it isn't the largest pub.

Advertisement