Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elm park GC

Options
  • 20-06-2010 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

What is elm park golf club like??

what Facilities does it have ??....and what are the membership fees like
    also does it enter into all the GUI competitions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭GorHugh

What is elm park golf club like??

what Facilities does it have ??....and what are the membership fees like
    also does it enter into all the GUI competitions

Flat , unattractive , easy , full of members that have been licking somebody elses ass for years while waiting for the magic call to come to sell you your soul to join .... If you are one of the D4 knobjockeys that drink in kielys in donnybrook , you'll fit in nicely .

But if you are a decent bloke looking to join a golf course to actually play golf and not to improve your social standing i would recommend you look elsewhere ...

If i recall correctly , Mr Kevin Markham didn't have a too welcoming return to the course after his book was published ..

Elm Park is basically full of fookers thats most modern clubs wouldn't want near there club .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

truth

had the recession not kicked it it'd be an apartment block / shopping mall by now
    pity

conno16 wrote: »
    truth

had the recession not kicked it it'd be an apartment block / shopping mall by now
    pity

Several offers where made over the years .. None excetped as the senior members knew that no other club would want them next to near it . A very elitest club who have a dead mans shoes waiting list to get in .

A certain developer who did several big developments close by and funnily enough with the name ELM PARK , chased it for years but was rebuffed time and time again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Strange post Dublin4life.

If you have the chance to join do so. Its a fantastic feeling being effectively in the city and being able to turn in off Nutley lane to an oasis of golf like Elm Park. Its no design classic and is short, but for the typical handicap golfer a lot of fun golf to be had if you live in the neighbourhood. Well kept, nice clubhouse, excellent facilities, and a lot of nice people play there. While some will knock its elitism, if you are of the Elm Park world yourself you will recognise that as begrudgery. Similarly for the business, career and general social status benefits that membership would give you.
    If you live out of town, then probably better courses to be had, at better value outside the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

GorHugh wrote: »
    If i recall correctly , Mr Kevin Markham didn't have a too welcoming return to the course after his book was published ..

Haven't been back yet and, surprisingly, I haven't been invited - but a couple of fellow Greystones members who played there have been subjected to abuse on my behalf.
    Sandwlch wrote: »
    ... for the typical handicap golfer a lot of fun golf to be had if you live in the neighbourhood. Well kept, nice clubhouse, excellent facilities, and a lot of nice people play there.

I would disagree with you that it's a lot of fun: it's a plain jane course. I do agree however that there are a lot of nice people who play there (friends of mine) - unfortunately they're not the ones you encounter when you book, visit or try to get into the clubhouse.

Too much attitude, not enough golf

• Advertisement

here here

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

I dont say this lightly, i have been lucky enough to play all over ireland and in many other countrys as well , and it saddens me to say "its a s*it hole"
    the course is bland at best , but the members and the aptmosphere are crap.

Haven't been back yet and, surprisingly, I haven't been invited - but a couple of fellow Greystones members who played there have been subjected to abuse on my behalf.

I would disagree with you that it's a lot of fun: it's a plain jane course. I do agree however that there are a lot of nice people who play there (friends of mine) - unfortunately they're not the ones you encounter when you book, visit or try to get into the clubhouse.

Too much attitude, not enough golf

I do apologise Kevin , I read it yourself and other greystone members were abused , sorry for incorrect info posted .

If you have the chance to join do soBasicially if you waited long enough and kissed enough ass and have the stupid amount of money needed to join , welcome to knobland. Its a fantastic feeling being effectively in the city and being able to turn in off Nutley lane to an oasis of golf like Elm Parkyour obvioulsy diluded . Its no design classic and is short, but for the typical handicap golfer a lot of fun golf to be hadits like playing an extended game of par 3 if you live in the neighbourhood. Well kept, nice clubhouse, excellent facilities, and a lot of nice people play theretheres a lot of ass's to be kissed in the club . While some will knock its elitism, if you are of the Elm Park world yourself you will recognise that as begrudgery.we are all stuck up our own arses Similarly for the business, career and general social status benefits that membership would give you.come on in and join the other knobjockeys
    If you live out of town, then probably better courses to be had, at better value outside the M50.if you don't live near the D4 area pls look elsewhere for a club

I do pray to good god your winding me up !! if not the above red writing is my translation on your post .
    sweetswing wrote: »
    I dont say this lightly, i have been lucky enough to play all over ireland and in many other countrys as well , and it saddens me to say "its a s*it hole"
    the course is bland at best , but the members and the aptmosphere are crap.

Well said ....

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭The_Architect

The course was better than I had expected. It's not excellent, it's not even very good. But there was sufficient variety in the holes to warrant it an interesting test and a pleasant surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

Thanks guys for your mixed response on what can only be described as a social save haven for those of the upper class, however that can only be seen as a good thing as everyone knows a golf course needs money behind it in order for it to be of success in this day and age with the current uneconomic climate driving Golf courses into liquidation all over this island

• Advertisement

where are all these clubs falling into liquidation btw?

sure we've had one or two examples, its not exactly flood gates though is it?

IMO there isn't a huge amount between elm park and leopardstown from a course design perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

IMO there isn't a huge amount between elm park and leopardstown from a course design perspective

Thanks Conno - Elm Park members have now found someone else to aim their abuse at. Even I wouldn't compare those two courses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

Interesting comparison. Would you say 'your favourite' Elmgreen would be a few steps above Elm Park also?

well elm green is far superior to leopardstown
    i'd imagine if elm green wasn't located out by blanch it would be a far more attractive proposition

IMO elm green is more interesting (albeit there are a lot of boring up-down fairways included) than elm park
    but obviously elm green is not really a club per se and also the greens in elm green can be very hit or miss - particularly when the travellers break in

I do pray to good god your winding me up !! if not the above red writing is my translation on your post .

Wow. Chip on your shoulder by any chance????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Played Elm Park on Saturday in inter club competition. The course was well presented and in good condition. We were treated very well at all times, both on the day and during practice. all matches were played in an excellent spirit.
    While it wouldn't be my favourite course some of what has been written on this thread smacks of small mindedness.

Wow. Chip on your shoulder by any chance????

Nah .. more through boredom and can't resist having a dig at elitist courses .. Especially courses that have nothing to offer in terms of entertainment ..

At least the Castle and the Grange are lovely courses to play ......

BTW ... where you having the craic when you wrote " Its a fantastic feeling being effectively in the city and being able to turn in off Nutley lane to an oasis of golf like Elm Park "

Played Elm Park on Saturday in inter club competition. The course was well presented and in good condition. We were treated very well at all times, both on the day and during practice. all matches were played in an excellent spirit.
    While it wouldn't be my favourite course some of what has been written on this thread smacks of small mindedness.

I'll hold my hand up to this one ... Boredom is a curse ;)

BTW ... where you having the craic when you wrote " Its a fantastic feeling being effectively in the city and being able to turn in off Nutley lane to an oasis of golf like Elm Park "

Not in the slightest. Obviously not expressing myself clearly enough though.

And I mean this without reference to the course being in anyway worth going to visit, or having holes to delight you - clearly it isnt in that class (though the comparisons above to Leopardstown are ludicrous - Elm park has fine trees, well kept fairways and greens, the stream meandering across it). What I mean is that from the housing estates, traffic congestion, and general feeling of mayhem of being in an overcrowded city, for those who live in its vicinity, being able to play golf in such pleasant surroundings, in the middle of the city, is a pleasure to be appreciated.

Am not a member of Elm Park by the way (though played it many times). I used to play in the old Dun Laoghaire, where the feeling was similar - you really felt that you had left the world behind you very easily and could just relax and enjoy a game of golf with your mates. And, (despite the housing estate ringing it) felt that you were a million miles from suburban Dublin.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

And I mean this without reference to the course being in anyway worth going to visit, or having holes to delight you - clearly it isnt in that class (though the comparisons above to Leopardstown are ludicrous - Elm park has fine trees, well kept fairways and greens, the stream meandering across it). What I mean is that from the housing estates, traffic congestion, and general feeling of mayhem of being in an overcrowded city, for those who live in its vicinity, being able to play golf in such pleasant surroundings, in the middle of the city, is a pleasure to be appreciated.

Am not a member of Elm Park by the way (though played it many times). I used to play in the old Dun Laoghaire, where the feeling was similar - you really felt that you had left the world behind you very easily and could just relax and enjoy a game of golf with your mates. And, (despite the housing estate ringing it) felt that you were a million miles from suburban Dublin.

This sounds about right too me, nothing special as a course but certainly a pleasant way to spend the day. Some of the posts above stink of never having actually set foot near the place and just spouting cliched rubbish that they overheard someone else saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

well men...I went up for a look there today and one has to say the caliber of women hanging around the club was amazing..I seen one girl with blond hair , she was well built looked like a good player too I must add, i would assume she was no more that 19 years old , I would not mind playing a few holes with her if you guys know what one means haha!!!

Also they have a tennis court with is a nice touch too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭UpAgainToday

well men...I went up for a look there today and one has to say the caliber of women hanging around the club was amazing..I seen one girl with blond hair , she was well built looked like a good player too I must add, i would assume she was no more that 19 years old , I would not mind playing a few holes with her if you guys know what one means haha!!!

Also they have a tennis court with is a nice touch too

ROFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭UpAgainToday

If you have the chance to join do so. Its a fantastic feeling being effectively in the city and being able to turn in off Nutley lane to an oasis of golf like Elm Park. Its no design classic and is short, but for the typical handicap golfer a lot of fun golf to be had if you live in the neighbourhood. Well kept, nice clubhouse, excellent facilities, and a lot of nice people play there. While some will knock its elitism, if you are of the Elm Park world yourself you will recognise that as begrudgery. Similarly for the business, career and general social status benefits that membership would give you.
    If you live out of town, then probably better courses to be had, at better value outside the M50.

Dude what??? I used to know people who played there but it is all just a front of elitism I can GUARANTEE you not one single hedge fund manager is a member there. Dont get me wrong I used to love elm park for the tennis courts due to how quiet it is but you really are talking silly with the bold text

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I've played it a good few times and to be honest never had much of an issue with it. I've never played particularily well there but I wouldnt say its a shocking course or anything like it.
    Do you reckon its better or worse than Milltown for example?

Any Dublin city club is going to feel like an oasis, that doesnt make it better or worse imo.

Never had any issues with the people there, note that its a Golf, Tennis and Bowls club. Maybe they dont mix too well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shortiee

Jeez, I've never heard such a crowd of begrudgers in my life! Elm Park is the elite of Irish Golf Clubs and the queues to become a member are growing every year. It's a brilliant club with facilities for golf, tennis, snooker, bridge etc. The tennis section has the best grasscourts in the country, the course is excellent and the members are brilliant crack. I've been a member since 1982 and joining was the best decision I've ever made. Jealousy is a terrible thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Shortiee wrote: »
    Jeez, I've never heard such a crowd of begrudgers in my life! Elm Park is the elite of Irish Golf Clubs and the queues to become a member are growing every year. It's a brilliant club with facilities for golf, tennis, snooker, bridge etc. The tennis section has the best grasscourts in the country, the course is excellent and the members are brilliant crack. I've been a member since 1982 and joining was the best decision I've ever made. Jealousy is a terrible thing!

Haha... delusion ain't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I do agree with everything you say there Sanwich, and I actually quite like playing the course, even if it ain't top-notch. But I think it's a fair argument by Gor-Hugh and many, many others that the attitude that has cultivated among members there over the years seems to manifest itself in a rude and unwelcoming way time and time again.

Whether a place has the best or worst golf facilities in Ireland is irrelevent in my book, if the club itself is full of people who are hostile and suspicious of visitors, presumably due to some ultra-dated sense of class division.

The really laughable part of it all, is that in this day and age, this form of elitism sees the one-time uppercrust members become mannerless brats, and the non-member, man-on-the-street of old usually has the dignity to laugh it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Elm Park is the elite of Irish Golf Clubs

What planet are you living on? You need to get out more!

some real WUMs here

elm park has one thing going for it - location
    a glorified ****hole other than that

• Advertisement

Jeez, I've never heard such a crowd of begrudgers in my life! Elm Park is the elite of Irish Golf Clubs

hahahaha .... hahahahah Good one ...

I've been a member since 1982 and joining was the best decision I've ever made. Jealousy is a terrible thing!

If thats the best decision you've ever made .. you'd want to go out and get a Life ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement