Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loughrea cars stolen/house break in

Options
  • 20-06-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

any one hear about any more?i know of 2 in one small estate alone,they go in throiugh front door.
    any tips on security-extra locks/patio/windows ?are they robbing to order,are we safe with our 03 car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

RANIA wrote: »
    any one hear about any more?i know of 2 in one small estate alone,they go in throiugh front door.
    any tips on security-extra locks/patio/windows ?are they robbing to order,are we safe with our 03 car?

Jesus,haven't heard anything about that.
    Don't leave your car keys in the hall,or anywhere visable anyway. Extra locks never go astray if you're that worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Is this recently, Rania?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Haven't heard a thing about this around town. I find Loughrea a very safe place to live in with a very visible Garda presence. Your 03 car will be fine, I imagine any cars that are targeted for theft/stolen to order would have less years on them and be from one of the higher class marques eg BMW, Audi, Range Rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

What estate was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Something similar happened near us in Oranmore. Same thing breaking in through front door the likely way they got in is because of the lock being the weak point see http://www.doorsdictionary.com/is-your-upvc-front-door-secure/ for what I mean. We got ours changed to a snap off cylinder as our barrel stuck out a long way from the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

hoody wrote: »
    Haven't heard a thing about this around town. I find Loughrea a very safe place to live in with a very visible Garda presence. Your 03 car will be fine, I imagine any cars that are targeted for theft/stolen to order would have less years on them and be from one of the higher class marques eg BMW, Audi, Range Rover.

hmm,i don't find loughrea that safe and i come from a rough part of city.guards are around during day,have had to call them at night and takes them too long considering they are 2mins away.
    anyway,it was both jeeps that were stolen,so we are ok!
    talked to locksmith and a tip for other is,we have deadlocks on all doors,good expensive ones,but they are not flush with door so thieves use a type of pliers to pull them off.we are changing all deadlocks now,they are cheeky theives though,this happens at 6am when all residenst are in bed

TillyGirl wrote: »
    What estate was this?

eden pk

Webbs wrote: »
    Something similar happened near us in Oranmore. Same thing breaking in through front door the likely way they got in is because of the lock being the weak point see http://www.doorsdictionary.com/is-your-upvc-front-door-secure/ for what I mean. We got ours changed to a snap off cylinder as our barrel stuck out a long way from the door.

think this is same as how it happened here,who put the locks in these houses in first place should have known!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

eden pk

But thats where I am moving to! Please tell me you are joking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

im with you there hoody, im living in the estate, and havent heard anything about it. ill see if i can find out any info on it.

+1 on the garda & safe area also

• Advertisement

TillyGirl wrote: »
    But thats where I am moving to! Please tell me you are joking :(

I live close to Eden Park. Last night I left all the house doors unlocked and I wouldn't be too worried if I did the same every night of the year.

I still haven't heard a thing about any cars getting stolen, and news like that would spread like wildfire, because it would be so rare. The only crime or suspicious activity I ever hear in or around the town is from farmers, who have had people call to the house looking for scrap metal - and even that could be genuine. Otherwise, nada.

I'll believe this story when's there's a link to it.

i actually live in eden pk and do not appreciate the sentiment that i am a liar.i am not going to give the addresses of the houses this happened to.so no links.leave your door open if you want.good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Were the houses you know got robbed,robbed on the same nights or different times?

i know of 2 cars taken ,different occasions,last 6 weeks ago,other prob 4 mths ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Very similar thing happened in Athenry on thursday night of last week. Done whilst people in house were asleep - (potential) thieves were disturbed in the act. Was a Jeep they were after here too. Fortunately got away empty handed.

i actually live in eden pk and do not appreciate the sentiment that i am a liar.i am not going to give the addresses of the houses this happened to.so no links.leave your door open if you want.good for you.

Rania, I'm not calling you a liar, but based on what I know of Loughrea, and the fact that you haven't provided any online references to these crimes, I'm just offering my opinion that it seems unlikely. I'm not looking for the addresses of the houses, just for some reference to the crime other than your own post.

I don't generally leave my doors unlocked, it just happened that I did last night, and I felt no great unease in doing so.

If this did happen, obviously, it's pretty awful for the people involved, and pretty awful for our town too - hence why I hope it hasn't.

Rania, I'm not calling you a liar, but based on what I know of Loughrea, and the fact that you haven't provided any online references to these crimes, I'm just offering my opinion that it seems unlikely. I'm not looking for the addresses of the houses, just for some reference to the crime other than your own post.

I don't generally leave my doors unlocked, it just happened that I did last night, and I felt no great unease in doing so.

If this did happen, obviously, it's pretty awful for the people involved, and pretty awful for our town too - hence why I hope it hasn't.

look i know its true,you do not even live in the estate so what would you know?i live here 4 years and have had to call guards on 3 occasions,its not as idyllic as you think.

look i know its true,you do not even live in the estate so what would you know?i live here 4 years and have had to call guards on 3 occasions,its not as idyllic as you think.

I lived in Galway city for 12 months and had to call the guards every 3 or 4 weeks. Not once since I moved to Loughrea have I had cause to call them, and I don't anticipate having to do so either. I don't live in the estate, but I would expect that if cars were being stolen from a particular estate in the town, people would know about it.

The only source I have heard about this from is yourself, Rania. That does not make it false or untrue in any way - and indeed you could well be telling the truth - but I am and will remain sceptical until I hear the same thing from another source.

I reiterate my point about Loughrea being safe and crime being very unusual here. If I'm being stubborn in refusing to accept what you say straight off, it's because events like this could give the town a reputation which, I feel, it doesn't deserve.

I lived in Galway city for 12 months and had to call the guards every 3 or 4 weeks. Not once since I moved to Loughrea have I had cause to call them, and I don't anticipate having to do so either. I don't live in the estate, but I would expect that if cars were being stolen from a particular estate in the town, people would know about it.

The only source I have heard about this from is yourself, Rania. That does not make it false or untrue in any way - and indeed you could well be telling the truth - but I am and will remain sceptical until I hear the same thing from another source.

I reiterate my point about Loughrea being safe and crime being very unusual here. If I'm being stubborn in refusing to accept what you say straight off, it's because events like this could give the town a reputation which, I feel, it doesn't deserve.
    fine not sure why you are posting here then,i grew up in galway city bth and did not have to call the guards every 3/4 weeks.i am not sure why you feel the need to be portraying loughrea as little house on the prarie.its a motorway town and this kind of car theft is on the rise.i posted here to see if any one had any security tips,i take it no one does but the poster from oranmore who this happened to.just cause something does not happen to you hoody or you have not heard about it does not mean it has not happened.we have a residents committee here in this estate and we communicate with our neighbours,at least some of us do anyway.

also hoody why on earth would i come on and make this up?bizzare.

• Advertisement

fine not sure why you are posting here then,i grew up in galway city bth and did not have to call the guards every 3/4 weeks.i am not sure why you feel the need to be portraying loughrea as little house on the prarie.its a motorway town and this kind of car theft is on the rise.i posted here to see if any one had any security tips,i take it no one does but the poster from oranmore who this happened to.just cause something does not happen to you hoody or you have not heard about it does not mean it has not happened.we have a residents committee here in this estate and we communicate with our neighbours,at least some of us do anyway.

The resident's committee has yet to mention these crimes on their website. I have said several times that this crime may well have happened, but you haven't offered any proof - and indeed Lithiumkid1976, who lives in the same estate, hadn't heard about it either (see previous page). I'm not saying you made it up, Rania, that would be indeed bizarre - but it could be that you are unknowingly repeating as true a story that may not be true?

I'm not out to portray Loughrea as Little House on the Priarie, but I do appreciate the positive aspects to life here, and I'm going sing its praises until I'm given a valid reason not to do so - which is fair I think.

The resident's committee has yet to mention these crimes on their website. I have said several times that this crime may well have happened, but you haven't offered any proof - and indeed Lithiumkid1976, who lives in the same estate, hadn't heard about it either (see previous page).

I'm not out to portray Loughrea as Little House on the Priarie, but I do appreciate the positive aspects to life here, and I'm going sing its praises until I'm given a valid reason not to do so - which is fair I think.

i am bowing out of this as i do not want to give any personal details.lithiumkid is not on residents committee.the webpage is not up to date.anyway as i said you don't even live here.i am not going to keep justifying myself to you,this was a thread for security tips,not for me to prove something that any one who actually speaks to their neighbours here would know is true.

i am bowing out of this as i do not want to give any personal details.lithiumkid is not on residents committee.the webpage is not up to date.anyway as i said you don't even live here.i am not going to keep justifying myself to you,this was a thread for security tips,not for me to prove something that any one who actually speaks to their neighbours here would know is true.

We'll agree to differ. If it was a thread for security tips, you should have given it a better thread title. I repeatedly said that you could be telling the truth, its just that I am sceptical, because I haven't heard it elsewhere. If it is the truth, its sad for the estate and the town.

I speak to my neighbours, friends and family who live and work in the town regularly, and find it odd that you would assume I didn't.

If anyone can back this story up, I'd be interested to hear the details.

We'll agree to differ. If it was a thread for security tips, you should have given it a better thread title. I repeatedly said that you could be telling the truth, its just that I am sceptical, because I haven't heard it elsewhere. If it is the truth, its sad for the estate and the town.

I speak to my neighbours, friends and family who live and work in the town regularly, and find it odd that you would assume I didn't.

If anyone can back this story up, I'd be interested to hear the details.

sorry what details exactly do you want.?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think hoody is just looking for some other confirmation since it's not in his experience an area with problems.
    Although the thieves could be from anywhere and just decided to target this particular area.
    Rania, how did you hear about the other cars robbed? Was iit in the paper?
    Btw, ask in the Emergency services forum or maybe better Motors on tips on how to protect your car.

biko wrote: »
    I think hoody is just looking for some other confirmation since it's not in his experience an area with problems.
    Although the thieves could be from anywhere and just decided to target this particular area.
    Rania, how did you hear about the other cars robbed? Was iit in the paper?
    Btw, ask in the Emergency services forum or maybe better Motors on tips on how to protect your car.

edited for privacy thats how i know.thanks for tip on emergency services we have since spoken to locksmiths for advice as i posted back on page 1.,and have decided to change the locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

hi
    while I’m not the residents committee myself, my wife is, and she also hasn’t heard anything about it, but it might be worth bringing it up at the next meeting, to let the residents know (via newsletter) of any potential security risks. hopefully it’s an once off occurrence.

"I live here 4 years and have had to call guards on 3 occasions, it’s not as idyllic as you think."

can i ask though, what you had to call the cops for? attempted break-in? noise nuisance? other?

just to balance out the argument, I’ve been living in that estate for 4 years, and haven’t ever had to call the cops.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Frank Jnr

hoody,

I live in an estate in Loughrea, not the one mentioned earlier, and my neighbour's car was taken during the night earlier this year, the thieves simply pulled the lock on the front door apart, walked in, found the car keys and were away with the car before anyone knew it, the car has never been found.

I saw the damage to the door, the empty space on the driveway, and the guards calling around. A single car, or a car here and there, being stolen is not going to make the news or the papers, what do you want as proof, signed witness statements?

Loughrea isn't as safe and as idyllic as you make it out to be, nowhere is these days unless you're in a gated community with permanent security. Yes the cops drive around my estate frequently but they're not around 24hrs a day, the motorway makes for a fast getaway.

And just to give a balanced post, I have left both the house doors and car doors (unintentionally) unlocked on numerous occasions with no issues, I have had kids using my garden as a shortcut on occasion but thankfully nothing serious has happened.

I think the biggest problem I've faced since moving to Loughrea was the big freeze earlier this year killing my water supply.

Regards,

Frank.

Frank Jnr wrote: »
    hoody,

I live in an estate in Loughrea, not the one mentioned earlier, and my neighbour's car was taken during the night earlier this year, the thieves simply pulled the lock on the front door apart, walked in, found the car keys and were away with the car before anyone knew it, the car has never been found.

I saw the damage to the door, the empty space on the driveway, and the guards calling around. A single car, or a car here and there, being stolen is not going to make the news or the papers, what do you want as proof, signed witness statements?

Loughrea isn't as safe and as idyllic as you make it out to be, nowhere is these days unless you're in a gated community with permanent security. Yes the cops drive around my estate frequently but they're not around 24hrs a day, the motorway makes for a fast getaway.

And just to give a balanced post, I have left both the house doors and car doors (unintentionally) unlocked on numerous occasions with no issues, I have had kids using my garden as a shortcut on occasion but thankfully nothing serious has happened.

I think the biggest problem I've faced since moving to Loughrea was the big freeze earlier this year killing my water supply.

Regards,

Frank.

Frank, I was really just looking for some corroboration or a similar story from someone else, so I apologise to Rania for being a doubting Thomas - but I genuinely hadn't heard anything about this from anyone.

I believe Loughrea is still very safe - idyllic, no, there are always going to be aspects of the town that could be improved upon - but still, I feel it compares well to other similar-sized towns. That's just my opinion, and one that I hope I'll be able to hold onto.

I wouldn't encourage people to leave their doors open, and I only mentioned it here to show that I genuinely do think this town is relatively low-risk for burglary or theft.

I guess the above stories serve as a reminder to be vigilant, lock the doors and windows, and keep an eye out for any suspicious activity.

Apologies again to Rania - you were right, I was wrong. Nice to have a few people from the town posting on here :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

Anyone that says somewhere is safe nowadays is talking scuther.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement