Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loughrea cars stolen/house break in

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

airhorn wrote: »
    Anyone that says somewhere is safe nowadays is talking scuther.

tuam is the safest town in the world,. :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

hoodrats wrote: »
    tuam is the safest town in the world,. :pac::pac::pac:

And anyone that comes out with that is definetly talking scuther!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Anyone that says somewhere is safe nowadays is talking scuther.

I think they were pointing out that some areas are "safer" than others. Obviously nowhere is completly safe but some places are more safe than others.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I think they were pointing out that some areas are "safer" than others. Obviously nowhere is completly safe but some places are more safe than others.

They are coming across as saying Loughrea as a whole is a safe place.

I'm saying nowhere is safe nowadays, you only have to read the Connaught Tribune the week after the court week to see that every major town in the county is'nt that safe, including Loughrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

They are coming across as saying Loughrea as a whole is a safe place.

I'm saying nowhere is safe nowadays, you only have to read the Connaught Tribune the week after the court week to see that every major town in the county is'nt that safe, including Loughrea.

Isnt calling somewhere safe a relative term?
    What would you call safe? Somewhere where there is never any crime or just somewhere with a very low risk of crime? (in which case I would include Loughrea in that category).
    Having lived in several cities and towns in the UK then places in Galway like Loughrea and Galway City itself all seem pretty safe to me in comparison to similar sized places in the UK

• Advertisement

Webbs wrote: »
    Isnt calling somewhere safe a relative term?

That depends i suppose, you can compare it to towns in the UK if you want, but compared to the other major towns in the actual county...its by no means any safer. So if Loughrea is considered a fairly safe place to live the rest of the towns ie Ballinasloe, Tuam etc is.

Leave your windows, front, back & side doors all open from now on we're living in a relativley safe county.

ps. leave your keys in the car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

That depends i suppose, you can compare it to towns in the UK if you want, but compared to the other major towns in the actual county...its by no means any safer. So if Loughrea is considered a fairly safe place to live the rest of the towns ie Ballinasloe, Tuam etc is.

Leave your windows, front, back & side doors all open from now on we're living in a relativley safe county.

Will do, thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Why the flippant answer?
    All I did was indicate that while you may perceive Loughrea as being an unsafe place to live, others may consider it a safe place to be.
    As I said, from the tone of your comments, a place is not safe for you unless there is zero crime, which is fine. For me a place is safe when I perceive a low risk of crime (such as Loughrea). Others will have differing ideas again.

For example you mention the courts section in the Connacht tribune, the crimes generally mentioned in there wouldnt even make it to local papers in many areas in the UK ( I dont know enough about other areas of Ireland to comment).
    To me they dont even register as a risk, just part of modern life and the fact that there are so few burglaries etc makes me feel safe, but saying that, I would not leave doors etc open as there is no point in increasing the odds of a random event happening, same reason I put a seatbelt on in the car.

So again it is all down to perceived risk of crime over real risk and how people react to that. We will all have differing levels of acceptance in this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tuamboy15

You can live in a hole as well if you want?
    No bother with having to constantly lock doors and **** and you never know it might be an upgrade from your current accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mrcomputerhead

I just spoke with a garda today and there was 12 burglaries in loughrea in August.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Please don't dig up two year old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement