Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

España -v- Honduras, 7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

124»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

redout wrote: »
    If Spain beat Chile even 1-0 they will most likely top the group as they would be +3. Switzerland are currently zero on goal difference.
    Spain would be +2 and Switzerland would go through top via head to head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

No they wouldnt. Goals For is counted before Head To Head. Assuming Spain had a more goals scored that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i hope chile destroys them

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Archimedes wrote: »
    No they wouldnt. Goals For is counted before Head To Head. Assuming Spain had a more goals scored that is.
    In the scenario they're talking about they'd both have 3 goals scored and head to head would decide it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

All those comments on RTE that they need to increase their goal difference are pointless. Two goals is enough. There are three ways it can go down to goal difference. If they beat Chile they will go through ahead of Chile on their current goal difference. If they draw, and Switzerland draw, they go through ahead of Switzerland on their current goal difference. If they lose and Switzerland lose, which is very unlikely, they will go through unless they lose by more goals than Swizerland do, which is even more unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

All those comments on RTE that they need to increase their goal difference are pointless. There are three ways it can go down to goal difference. If they beat Chile they will go through ahead of Chile. If they draw, and Switzerland draw, they go through ahead of Switzerland. If they lose and Switzerland lose, they will go through unless they lose by more goals than Swizerland do, which is very, very unlikely.

The point is avoiding Brazil in the knock-out stages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

All those comments on RTE that they need to increase their goal difference are pointless. Two goals is enough. There are three ways it can go down to goal difference. If they beat Chile they will go through ahead of Chile on their current goal difference. If they draw, and Switzerland draw, they go through ahead of Switzerland on their current goal difference. If they lose and Switzerland lose, which is very unlikely, they will go through unless they lose by more goals than Swizerland do, which is even more very unlikely.

Don't forget even Honduras could go through in the last scenario, but that is of course the most unlikely outcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

spain v chile game is perfect for chile

chile are at their best when they need to counter attack and they'll get plenty of chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

_Bella_ wrote: »
    The point is avoiding Brazil in the knock-out stages

Brazil v Spain in the last 16, too early for such an encounter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I think goal difference and goals scored are before head to head.

• Advertisement

CorkMan wrote: »
    I think goal difference and goals scored are before head to head.

In the scenario discussed they have the same in both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Table on RTE was incorrect, Honduras are minus 3.

Navas was shocking the left back had him in his pocket. Left back looked fairly decent.

Spanish journalist Guillem Balague on BBC Radio 5 live
    "The last 40 minutes was embarrassing, Spain were so wasteful. This team is not physically well. They have not adapted to high altitude, there was no crisp passing and no one is running off the ball. It feels like Spain have got the same problems as England."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Spain fail to deliver yet again. Very disappointing stuff especially from Navas.

I found it very odd that during ITV's post match analysis (if you can call the 10 minutes they give as such) that they hardly mentioned the significance of goals for/ against. Indeed, other than Kevin Keegan's brief "I know it might sound daft... but goal difference might be important" comment nothing was said.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Navas was shocking the left back had him in his pocket. Left back looked fairly decent.

Navas is pure ****e. He has been in the 2 games so far and is suspectible to away sicknes. How Silva wasn't on the wing I don't know.

Would love to see a Spain-Portugal last 16 match myself!

Would love to see a Spain-Portugal last 16 match myself!

How about a Spain-Brazil last 16?

Navas is pure ****e. He has been in the 2 games so far and is suspectible to away sicknes. How Silva wasn't on the wing I don't know.

In your opinion, he is easily the best attacking right winger in the entire city of Seville. Noone comes to close to him there. Hes just needs a hug tbh and his comfee.

Silva is left footed thats prolly why.

Not good... I have them meeting in the final in the world cup predictor thing I did!

Later on in the tournament (I hope!).

• Advertisement

In your opinion, he is easily the best attacking right winger in the entire city of Seville. Noone comes to close to him there. Hes just needs a hug tbh and his comfee.

Silva is left footed thats prolly why.

but Messi is left footed, Robinho is right footed and plays on the left wing. I think he can play there. IMO I would have preferred Jose Antonio Reyes to Navas in the Spain squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Chile could be out with Spanish and Swiss wins. Has a team ever been knocked out before despite winning their first 2 games?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Chile could be out with Spanish and Swiss wins. Has a team ever been knocked out before despite winning their first 2 games?

Don't know but Ireland got through on 3 draws in 94!

Don't know but Ireland got through on 3 draws in 94!

We beat italy :confused:
    but Messi is left footed, Robinho is right footed and plays on the left wing. I think he can play there. IMO I would have preferred Jose Antonio Reyes to Navas in the Spain squad.

Messi plays in a formation suited to him turing inside (alves goes outside) what you and i think is irrelevant Del Bosque picks the team and reckons navas got his hug and comfee and will play ok, i think the left back had him tbh his final ball is always hit and miss unless in Seville then hes awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What if swiss win 6-0 and spain beat chile 1-0 ? Swiss 1st , spain 2nd?

Or if swiss win 1-0 and Spain win 1-0 ? Is it Spain 1st, Swiss or Chile?

Probably means Italia 90.

Drumpot wrote: »
    What if swiss win 6-0 and spain beat chile 1-0 ? Swiss 1st , spain 2nd?

Or if swiss win 1-0 and Spain win 1-0 ? Is it Spain 1st, Swiss or Chile?

I dont think any team with 5 points let alone 6 has gone out at the group stages.

I always say 4 pts will get you tru , fairly sure it would until this WC(except norway in 94 :D )

Messi plays in a formation suited to him turing inside (alves goes outside) what you and i think is irrelevant Del Bosque picks the team and reckons navas got his hug and comfee and will play ok, i think the left back had him tbh his final ball is always hit and miss unless in Seville then hes awesome.

Well Sergio Ramos constantly runs up the right side, ala Alves. Silva could do that. Either way, I think Navas should stay on the bench from now on.

Or else better, Critisise the coach for not giving him enough sleeping time (or whatever) and get sent back home.

Well Sergio Ramos constantly runs up the right side, ala Alves. Silva could do that. Either way, I think Navas should stay on the bench from now on.

Or else better, Critisise the coach for not giving him enough sleeping time (or whatever) and get sent back home.

Then how do we get 25 million for him :confused:

• Advertisement

Then how do we get 25 million for him :confused:

who?

who?

Sevilla :pac:

If a club were going to get a winger, it would be Silva IMO.

After the world cup they'd choose Vicente :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Navas got an assist & won a penalty . Which is more than Silva did in the game he started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Has a team ever been knocked out before despite winning their first 2 games?

Looked it up and one team has been eliminated before....Algeria won 2 group games in 1982 World Cup (1st and 3rd games) but didn't qualify for the next round. However if Chile don't go through they would be the first team ever to go home despite winning their first 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

tdv123 wrote: »
    Navas got an assist & won a penalty . Which is more than Silva did in the game he started.

Navas also delivered about 8 bad crosses in that game and about 8 in the first game... Navas did nothing in the first game for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Navas almost scored in the first game and laid a great cross on for Torres tonight. I thought he did ok, not nearly as bad as being made out.

Spain's performance tonight was excellent bar Torres who let the side down.

And much better than anything Brazil produced against similarly weak opposition in North Korea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Did I imagine it or did Pique lose a couple of teeth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Did I imagine it or did Pique lose a couple of teeth?

According to the commentators aye. Got a clip of a boot to the face when he went for a slide tackle. Looked nasty with all the blood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Navas also delivered about 8 bad crosses in that game and about 8 in the first game... Navas did nothing in the first game for that matter.

Like your man "Kinaldo" said he had two good attempts at goal in the first match when he came on as a sub.

And besides his assist & penalty win today he played a lovely flighted ball into the box at Xavi i & if Xavi was a few inch taller he would have scored. And also he played a great cross in along ground right to the feet of Villa who should of scored.

Ok some of his crossing was poor but atleast he was getting into good positions & was always providing support. His crossing will improve he just needs to get a better feel for the terrible ball. Don't forget he was 3rd highest assist leader in La Liga last season as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

kinaldo wrote: »
    Spain's performance tonight was excellent bar Torres who let the side down.

I know I'm a Liverpool fan, but ffs cut the man some slack - he's back from injury which required surgery, you can train all you want but it's matches that return you to fitness and form.

I think Torres can be forgiven for wasting a few chances at this stage tbh. That said, it was just his finsihing that let him down, his movement was fantastic - Navas just didn't pick him out enough imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Del Bosque not to happy with the performance - more goals should have been scored.

"We lacked the finishing touch just as we did against the Swiss. This was a more open team and a vulnerable side, we should have done better."

"Fernando is a great player, he really knows how to play to the limits of offside," "He has just recovered from an injury, let's hope in the next game he can do some more sterling work.

Talk of Messi been given he armband for the Greece game - something about Mascherano being on a yellow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

If Torres was on form I can imagine the scoreline being about 5-0 to spain.

He's trying to find he's form atm so give him a break, its early days yet and he will deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    If Torres was on form I can imagine the scoreline being about 5-0 to spain.

He's trying to find he's form atm so give him a break, its early days yet and he will deliver.

Agreed, If Spain progress further in the competition which I've every confidence they will - then we will see Torres come into form - he's been known to take roughly two games to get back into the swing of things.

Going by last nights game I'd be more worried about Xavi tbh, I know he's not expected to be brilliant every time he takes the field but , imo, Alonso dictated the play and Xavi had at least 3 good shooting oppertunities last night but conspired to pass to someone else instead - it's unselfish play but, for me personally, it was frustrating to watch.

It's like the opposite of Chilie, who were shooting from all angles against the Swiss instead of passing to players in better positions. I know Spain play brilliant passing football, and it's they way they play their game win or lose, but they really should learn to take a pop from outside the box every now and again imo

Advertisement