Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Present for 18mth old daughter

Options
  • 20-06-2010 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Basically want to give my Daughter a sentimental gift that we can share together in a couple of years, hopefully something I could make myself, something really personal. Myself and the Mother are no longer together and I get to see my daughter twice a week (supervised). I'm hoping when she gets a bit older and is able to read we'll be able to pick out a book to read and discuss it when I get to see her, something just for us, would love to write her a book of short stories that I could read to her but dont know how many I could manage. Anybody got any ideas? Would greatly appreciate any help given

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

dont know if this is something your talking bout or you would be into but there is a place in stephens green on top floor and they will print you up your own storey book - you can include your daughters date and time of birth, lenght, weight ect lots of personal details - you can include family/friends names places ect - quiet good, ive got few of them for my nephews/nieces over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

Thanks messrs, gonna look into this, I reckon this could be a great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

If you decide to go with a book like that have a look at www.photobox.ie, you can make your own photobooks very easily, can put in as many pages as you like and as many bits of information as you want and it's very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

AEH1984 wrote: »
    Basically want to give my Daughter a sentimental gift that we can share together in a couple of years, hopefully something I could make myself, something really personal. Myself and the Mother are no longer together and I get to see my daughter twice a week (supervised). I'm hoping when she gets a bit older and is able to read we'll be able to pick out a book to read and discuss it when I get to see her, something just for us, would love to write her a book of short stories that I could read to her but dont know how many I could manage. Anybody got any ideas? Would greatly appreciate any help given

Could you maybe write into a diary,and then pick your favourites and stik them into a book?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My friend wrote a children's book with her daughter as the lead character and her cousins as other characters. Then her husband put it together with photoshopped pictures of the kids to fit in with the story. I can't remember where they got it printed into a book but I'll ask next time I see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Das Kitty wrote: »
    My friend wrote a children's book with her daughter as the lead character and her cousins as other characters. Then her husband put it together with photoshopped pictures of the kids to fit in with the story. I can't remember where they got it printed into a book but I'll ask next time I see them.

That is awesome!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭goosie2005

Hi,
    I would second the photobook idea from photobox.ie often do special offers if you sign up. You could go on a trip with your daughter, take photos of all the different things you did, make them into a photobook, and add to text to build the story. SHe will love going over and over the stories and at this age the pictures will mainly tell the story.
    Also have a look at www.itsyourstory.co.uk , got one of these for my godson and he loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Here's an irish website that do personalised story books, they also do cartoons versions of your child.

http://www.starstories.ie/?gclid=CPerlZ6EsqICFQs-lAod8lzWRg

When I was young my dad bought be a beautiful leather bound book of Grimms fairy tales, its such a precious book to me still. I felt like such a grown up because it had a leather cover, but it had fairy tales too. Just perfect. I still have it and its like new still, I treasure it. Kudos to you for the toughtful presents, your daughter will love you for it.

Advertisement