Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need Motivation

Options
  • 20-06-2010 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Why start the log again ?? I cant seem to motivate myself. Discipline is cat. I think by starting my schedule from tomorrow I have 14 weeks to go. Decided on hte daniels models. See how it goes. This is to keep a food diaRY as well and anyone that might be able to help me feel free to jump in.
    2010 hasnt been a great year to date so i hope this will help. #Would take anything at this stage. Sick of saying if i lose a stone I could run 2.50 or below it.
    Previous history
    Ran 3.11 marathon carrying 14st 7ibs 2008
    Ran 2.59 marathon carrying 13st 7ibs 2009

It seems to be easier to say I know i can do it but I love grub.

For example the last 24 hours have been bad.
    5 purple snacks, bag of crisps bag of nuts, 6 cookies 10 x 2 finger kit kats, half of a fruit brack, batter sausage and chips can of coke, a mcdonalds, 3 weekabix bowel of cornflakes 4 x toast bowel of rice, Apple crunch bar. More but i cant remember.

So why start the log ???
    The F***in answers above.
    I was suppose to run today but tummy poor this am so i just carried.

Recently f#*ked up a recent marathon by bingeing the last week before the marathon. Carb loading doesnt involve eating the above on a day the lead up to it. I done this and paid for it. Hence the log.
    Berlin is the aim again this year. Time will depend on the nutrition part of it.
    Hope to get close to 2.50 but we will see.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Best of luck with your goal VR. You were very consistent and straight-talking in your previous 2:59 training program, that's been missed lately. Hope you get 2:50, its a big ask, but I daresay you're good for it. Calories in, calories out. Eat/drink what you like so long as bloating/hangovers don't interfere with your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Best of luck with your goal VR. You were very consistent and straight-talking in your previous 2:59 training program, that's been missed lately. Hope you get 2:50, its a big ask, but I daresay you're good for it. Calories in, calories out. Eat/drink what you like so long as bloating/hangovers don't interfere with your training.

Dont drink a drop but i fukking love sugar. Looking forward to nxt sunday. Will take the night off work so I wont be tired. The lad i am bringing paced 1.30 in kildare so he might join me and daithi. Nice if one of us was struggling.

Last 3 weeks I have done 1 x 16 and 2 x 18s so i feel the miles are in the legs.
    Will I break 2.50 ?? Get to 12st 7ib and i def will.
    Going to write every grub i write down too. Looking back at the end of a week might wake me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck VR. Keeping the log is a good first step. You were well motivated when it came to the sub 3 marathon. The Berlin target'ers will all be good motivators to each other. Keep an eye on T Runner's log for instance. You shouldn't need to cut out all the crap. Some chocy etc in moderation wouldn't do you any harm if you're training your socks off. I eat all around me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Food / Calories
    5 x Purple Snacks = 675
    Crisps = 130
    Salted Peanuts = 290
    6 x Chocolate chip Cookies = 540
    5 x KitKats = 1050
    Half Fruit Brack = 1222
    Battered Sausage and chips = 750
    Coke = 140
    McDonalds (Bic Mac Meal) = 1350
    3 x Weetabix = 309
    Bowl of Cornflakes = 287
    4 x buttered toast = 500
    Bowl of rice = 240
    Apple crunch bar = 140

Total = 7,623 Calories
    So that's around three days worth of calories (average male, average exercise routine). Obviously as someone who exercises heavily, you'd have much higher calorie requirement, but you're looking at at leat two days worth of calories.

What's 7,623 calories in terms of miles, for a 14 stone male (I don't know your weight, I'm just using this as an example):
    59.55 Miles

So you would need to run 60 miles just to cancel the crap you ate in a 24 hour period. If your typical diet is anything like the above, then you're not gaining anything from training. You're just cancelling out the crap you've eaten. It's time to either give up the junk, or give up running.

Is that the kick up the a$$ you wanted*? :)

(*Krusty finishes of his second Twix of the evening).

Food / Calories
    5 x Purple Snacks = 675
    Crisps = 130
    Salted Peanuts = 290
    6 x Chocolate chip Cookies = 540
    5 x KitKats = 1050
    Half Fruit Brack = 1222
    Battered Sausage and chips = 750
    Coke = 140
    McDonalds (Bic Mac Meal) = 1350
    3 x Weetabix = 309
    Bowl of Cornflakes = 287
    4 x buttered toast = 500
    Bowl of rice = 240
    Apple crunch bar = 140

Total = 7,623 Calories
    So that's around three days worth of calories (average male, average exercise routine). Obviously as someone who exercises heavily, you'd have much higher calorie requirement, but you're looking at at leat two days worth of calories.

What's 7,623 calories in terms of miles, for a 14 stone male (I don't know your weight, I'm just using this as an example):
    59.55 Miles

So you would need to run 60 miles just to cancel the crap you ate in a 24 hour period. If your typical diet is anything like the above, then you're not gaining anything from training. You're just cancelling out the crap you've eaten. It's time to either give up the junk, or give up running.

Is that the kick up the a$$ you wanted*? :)

(*Krusty finishes of his second Twix of the evening).

How the fcuk do you know how many cals are in all those. I know there a 135 in a purple snack and 130 in the crisps. You got those correct. 295 in the pea nuts so you were 5 out.
    But you got one thing right. Either give up the training or the crap.
    Lately I have thought more and more of going back to the golf. Was 8 in 2007 when i gave it up.
    Discipline ~Diescipline. Want to run with you in Berlin or in front of you for the last km.

That list feic it really shows it up. Thanks.
    Just washed the 4 fig rolls i had with a mug of tea. ~The Fu**in golf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

How the fcuk do you know how many cals are in all those. I know there a 135 in a purple snack and 130 in the crisps. You got those correct. 295 in the pea nuts so you were 5 out.
    But you got one thing right. Either give up the training or the crap.
    Lately I have thought more and more of going back to the golf. Was 8 in 2007 when i gave it up.
    Discipline ~Diescipline. Want to run with you in Berlin or in front of you for the last km.

That list feic it really shows it up. Thanks.
    Just washed the 4 fig rolls i had with a mug of tea. ~The Fu**in golf.

Just have a think about the feeling you had when you started and finished your marathon... that buzz cant be the same as a fig roll.. very easy to slip out of the training buzz either due to lack of goals or injury but when you start to get that feeling back you will wonder why you stopped.

Krusty I think you have finally gone totally mad ;)

How the fcuk do you know how many cals are in all those.
    A quick google search. Just trying to give you an idea (and a rude awakening!). I hope you'll finish the last km of Berlin in front of me too, but you won't do it wolfing down all that sh1te.

You should keep posting what you eat every day (but you'll need to calculate the calories yourself!). Just the process of writing it down will help. (I should be keeping a beer diary. :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

www.fitday.com online food diary thingy. I used it when I was losing weight. You can't fool yourself when it's all in front of you in black and white. It's shocking how quickly the calories add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

A quick google search. Just trying to give you an idea (and a rude awakening!). I hope you'll finish the last km of Berlin in front of me too, but you won't do it wolfing down all that sh1te.

You should keep posting what you eat every day (but you'll need to calculate the calories yourself!). Just the process of writing it down will help. (I should be keeping a beer diary. :D).

Yep its a good thing to do, i've a note book that i used to write down food(and beer) was shocked a some point of the amount of calories and how many miles it takes to burn them off.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck VR, I can relate to you with both the lack of motivation and the sweet tooth, so looking forward to seeing how you conquer it.
    Just something I've started trying (well since Thursday :D ) big bag of raisins and whenever I want sth I just stuff them into my mouth.
    I also have a problem with fizzy drinks but I've been sorting that with diluted orange and sparkling water, tastes like fanta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck with the log and training VR.
    I didnt see any mention of the fags on your OP...have you sorted that ?
    If you have...you can do the same with the sh!t food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Nice to see the log back VR !

Have you raced lately ? Whatever time you put in, should be enough motivation for ya to kick on ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

It seems to be easier to say I know i can do it but I love grub.

For example the last 24 hours have been bad.
    5 purple snacks, bag of crisps bag of nuts, 6 cookies 10 x 2 finger kit kats, half of a fruit brack, batter sausage and chips can of coke, a mcdonalds, 3 weekabix bowel of cornflakes 4 x toast bowel of rice, Apple crunch bar. More but i cant remember.

The above isn't a love of grub it's a unhealthy obsession with it. Not only is your calorie intake way way too high, the $hit you are eating is astonishing. But I'm sure you know all this. A coach, nutritionist, physio and a therapist to deal with your junk obsession are needed for your next marathon attempt.

I use to think I didn't eat healthily enough but compared to you I'm a roll model to all.

That enough tough love ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

+1 on all the above, as krusty plainly points out you cant just eat what you want because you run alot of miles. A 20 mile run is alot of effort and you can quite quickly reverse it with 15/20 mins 'in the fridge'.

But as the road runner suggests this seems like more to me. we all snack and binge a little from time to time - im no model in this respect but id do well to eat what you eat in a week treat wise. this seems like obsession and if you werent running id hate to think what you'd weigh.

one day you wont be able to run so if i was you id get this sorted now while you do run.

plus its what you are eating - serious amount of sugar, your teeth cant be thanking you.

Out of interest what is the rest of your diet like - how many meals do you eat? what do they consist of? what do you normally drink? how much water do you drink?

these things might be a helpful insight also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Also no doubt there is a pattern in there somewhere that you need to break.

Are you eating all this because you are sitting around the house for few hours bored?

Or is it after a long shift in work and you re tired and need to comfort eat?

Or is it that you drink a lot of tea, for example, and evertime you have a cuppa you have sometihing sweet with it?

You get the idea. You need to sit down analyse your routine and where it all goes wrong and why.

Your getting a bit of a rattling today VR,but i think you know you need to sort this,you were probably hoping people would jump on you and that in itself would make you fix it...its just a bad habit.....kick it into touch and go out there and train for your sub 2:50 marathon and give yourself the best chance possible of achieving it.

Sosa wrote: »
    Your getting a bit of a rattling today VR
    We're just giving him what he wants - a bit of pent-up anger to motivate himself to kick the bad stuff to touch.
    I'll expect to see nothing going into the gob next Sunday except for Strawberries. :)

I'll expect to see nothing going into the gob next Sunday except for Strawberries. :)

Not too many though. 20 calories in a decent sized strawberry. 7 of those and you have a snack bar :D

A fcuking pasting alright.
    Great reading in hte above.
    As i would imagine i felt crap today. Ran 9 miles in the gym with 2 pit stops. Wouldnt run outside cos I knew i would have to stop. Longest 9 miles in a long time. Had planned to do a different session so another day messed up with grub.

Woke up this am and wasnt hungry(I can imagine lads reading this and saying but how fcuking could you)
    8am Apple and satsuma
    10.30 2 little yogurts
    1.00 Soup and apple

3pm banana
    4.30 Run

7pm Two brown bread pittas with 2 fillets of chicken salad and poached egg.

That me for the night.

Must have drank 4 litres today.
    Very easy today but it will only get difficult in a few days when i feel better.
    No cigarettes in 5 weeks nearly.
    For me its all day by day. Cigarettes dont bother me today. If i had one i am back to square one.

1 strawberry 20 cals oh my god..............
    Booked a session with some person nxt week who can tell me what agrees with me and what doesnt eating wise.
    Believe it or not i dont like chips but i once did it for lent(had them every night) When i eat crap i feel crap.
    Treats will be little for hte first month and then i will review.

Diet is very good on a daily basis until 7pm. Maybe boredom etc.

Normally its porridge raisons and milk for breakie
    If i dont have a biscuit at tea break I will survive until later in the day.

Best of luck sorting the diet out. I'm not a huge fan of chocolate and sweets but do find I can get addicted to te sugar buzz now and again. It takes a week to ween myself off these treats but once I do and replace them with a fruit I feel great. I'm a huge fan of pineapple, very sweet and very low in calories. It's very refreshing as well.

• Advertisement

Best of luck sorting the diet out. I'm not a huge fan of chocolate and sweets but do find I can get addicted to te sugar buzz now and again. It takes a week to ween myself off these treats but once I do and replace them with a fruit I feel great. I'm a huge fan of pineapple, very sweet and very low in calories. It's very refreshing as well.
    I love all food.
    as my 4 year old says when I give her strawberries " thats not a treat"
    Yes a week should sort me out. Its the reason for the log. Addictive person of the highest order.

Tuesday
    6am 8 miles @ 7.25(stomach aint great still)
    5.30pm 5.5 miles easy

Porridge and raisons
    Apple, Yogurt
    Soup and brown bread
    Yogurt
    Beef carrots and spuds and low fat yogurt
    Oats and honey granola bar(bit of sugar)

Wednesday
    Porridge 7.15
    Beans on toast 10.30
    Toast and banana 3.30pm
    Carrots mushrooms onions spud with fillet of chicken wrapped in bacon 6.30pm yogurt.

1pm
    13.5 miles which included 6 x 1 mile tempo with 1 min recovery. Out and back and into the wind on the way out. So mile 1 and 6, 2 and 5 3 and 4 similar.
    Average 6.05(prob too quick for me at present)
    Had to go to the loo immediatley after it.
    Maybe beans on toast 2.5 hours before a session not a good idea ?? Still think I am getting better. 3 mile warm up and 4 miles easy after it.

That's some incredible dietary turn-around. Hope you're not suffering sugar-withdrawal symptoms! Probably a good idea to find a healthy alternative snack-food that you can eat at will, so you don't reach for the old stuff. I usually keep a packet of these in my desk at work:

562.jpg
    Low fat, low salt, high in complex carbs (so good for long distance running) and less than 2 euro a packet in Dunnes. Lasts me at least a week. Also handy if you've recently given up the fags. :)

That's some incredible dietary turn-around. Hope you're not suffering sugar-withdrawal symptoms! Probably a good idea to find a healthy alternative snack-food that you can eat at will, so you don't reach for the old stuff. I usually keep a packet of these in my desk at work:

562.jpg
    Low fat, low salt, high in complex carbs (so good for long distance running) and less than 2 euro a packet in Dunnes. Lasts me at least a week. Also handy if you've recently given up the fags. :)

I normally eat well.
    Monday-friday in work i am very good normally from 9-5. I do the shopping so i cant blame anyone else.I would rather no biscuits than 2 if you know what I mean. I am sick to my boll** of listening to lads saying that if you lose anymore you will look sick. I take this as a "go on you can eat what you want" I reckon keeping the food diary will be great for me. When I kept my own one on a bad day I wouldnt fill it in.
    I will try the above.
    Started hanging out with the most unhealthy eater around(reminds me of myself) and find myself grazing alot. The bottom line I now know I cant eat what I like.
    For example last sunday I wouldnt have managed to pace 90 min for hte half(would have had to stop for mother nature) A healthy week as roadrunner said would get me back ok again. I have alot of miles done so I reckon in 3 weeks I will be in very good knick.

6am 42 mile cycle slow. Legs zapped after yesterday
    Toast and banana before and toast low low cheese after it. 1/2 energy bar on the way with a luc sport gel. Long cycle.

Kiddies birthday. Tough day.
    Meal out and cake. Healthy choice and no cake. Problem with leaving food behind. Today i left a few slices of pizza and 3/4 portion of chips that kids didnt eat which i normally would have wolfed. Also didnt have cake at 6.30pm. Went to gym to do 40 min of core work and weights. If i had cake i woulodnt have went and 1 slice aint enough is it.;)

Another good day so all in all. 4 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

best of luck VR. Looking forward to following the log

Hey VR have you any upcoming races penciled in?

Hey VR have you any upcoming races penciled in?
    10km in piltown 16th july and half in clonmel in august. Might do the 10km in kilmore 1oth september.

Fri
    6am 9 miles easy
    7pm 45 min weights and core

Sat
    7 miles easy
    45 min weights and core

sun
    Ran half in enniscorthy(pace) in 89.50
    Felt comfy although i was tired at the end of it. 13.1 hilly miles on 3.5 hours sleep is tough at the best of times.

Monday
    9 miles with 3 x 2 miles with 2 min recoveries. Ran these 6 min mile pace. Had to stop after 3 as time was short. stomach was causing trouble as well.

Visited a person today who was able to tell me what foods suited me and what ones didnt.............Wheat is the main one. And F***ing chocolate but sure she didnt have to be a rocket scientist to work out that. Hopefully a few weeks will sort out my stomach. Yesterday was the first time since may 9th I ran 13.1 without having to stop for the loo. Have to get it sorted. While she was working on me I dosed off for 15 min.
    Lets see if it works.

10km in piltown 16th july and half in clonmel in august. Might do the 10km in kilmore 1oth september.

I wont see you at any of those VR,
    Im doing a 5k down here on July 18th,the national half on Sept 5th and a 10k late Sept down here aswell.

Might see you at the GSK 5 friday week ?
    Im not doing that flat out either,just a stepping stone for the 5k the following week.

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    I wont see you at any of those VR,
    Im doing a 5k down here on July 18th,the national half on Sept 5th and a 10k late Sept down here aswell.

Might see you at the GSK 5 friday week ?
    Im not doing that flat out either,just a stepping stone for the 5k the following week.
    Love to do dungarvan. Off all next week so planning a big week. Yes but i might go down at run 30 min on tired legs. Will see. Is that 10km the newspaper one on 12th september WLR??

Advertisement