Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

10km in piltown 16th july and half in clonmel in august. Might do the 10km in kilmore 1oth september.

Fri
    6am 9 miles easy
    7pm 45 min weights and core

Sat
    7 miles easy
    45 min weights and core

sun
    Ran half in enniscorthy(pace) in 89.50
    Felt comfy although i was tired at the end of it. 13.1 hilly miles on 3.5 hours sleep is tough at the best of times.

Monday
    9 miles with 3 x 2 miles with 2 min recoveries. Ran these 6 min mile pace. Had to stop after 3 as time was short. stomach was causing trouble as well.

Visited a person today who was able to tell me what foods suited me and what ones didnt.............Wheat is the main one. And F***ing chocolate but sure she didnt have to be a rocket scientist to work out that. Hopefully a few weeks will sort out my stomach. Yesterday was the first time since may 9th I ran 13.1 without having to stop for the loo. Have to get it sorted. While she was working on me I dosed off for 15 min.
    Lets see if it works.

Thats a decent time for the 1/2 on 3.5hrs sleep, and on a hilly course. Your doing great with the diet. My weakness are biscuits & beer. I decided to pack them in after Christmas and I think I went 3 or 4 months without a cookie, have the occasional one now. Had cut back on the beer :rolleyes:

I do find though that once you start getting stuck into the training and start feeling better and seeing the results, that will act as motivation to keep on track.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Thats a decent time for the 1/2 on 3.5hrs sleep, and on a hilly course. Your doing great with the diet. My weakness are biscuits & beer. I decided to pack them in after Christmas and I think I went 3 or 4 months without a cookie, have the occasional one now. Had cut back on the beer :rolleyes:

I do find though that once you start getting stuck into the training and start feeling better and seeing the results, that will act as motivation to keep on track.

Good luck

I have to give up wheat and most biccies are full of them. I paced 90 min in the half. I aint in great shape now but a month will tell alot.
    Thanks fro the encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Love to do dungarvan. Off all next week so planning a big week. Yes but i might go down at run 30 min on tired legs. Will see. Is that 10km the newspaper one on 12th september WLR??

I always do the GSK5,its a good one.
    yeah,the late Sept 10k is the Munster Express 10k...over 1000 entries every year...i didnt get a date yet,who told you sept 12th ?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

Good luck with the log VR....seems like the pub is your biggest vice! (ha its mine too:)) all those peanuts and purple snacks seductively placed beside the till. maybe you need to think of a punishment for yourself if you stray down there, the punishement shouldnt be anything to do with exercise either you enjoy that too much.

some of the lads on here know more about the chia seeds but i was using them for a while, if you put about 7 teaspoons in a pint glass and fill with water, stir let settle, stir let settle, stir let settle, the seeds absorb into the water and take on the texture of soup. they are a great tummy filler with little calories and all good carb and protein. looks like frog spawn but tastes ok

Sosa wrote: »
    I always do the GSK5,its a good one.
    yeah,the late Sept 10k is the Munster Express 10k...over 1000 entries every year...i didnt get a date yet,who told you sept 12th ?

Iv read it off a calender we had in work. Came from a newspaper in Blaland. Def said 12th cos i rem saying thats 2 weeks beofre berlin. Ideal.

• Advertisement

Iv read it off a calender we had in work. Came from a newspaper in Blaland. Def said 12th cos i rem saying thats 2 weeks beofre berlin. Ideal.

I'll be doing it but would rather another week to prepare,the national half is the previous Sun 5th

Easy 8.5 miles after last nights work out at 6am tuesday. Lovely morning for it.

Wednesday 5.40am
    Planned a session but it did not work out. 2 miles easy 4 x 1 mile tempo with 5 min easy and i was hoping to do 3 x 1 mile but only managed one. Was windy but after only 32 hours recovery after monday nights session i was stuck to the floor.
    Average 6.13 per tempo mile. The first mile at 6.12 was hard so i new i was in bother.
    Thursday 6am
    8 miles easy. Plan is to do a long one saturday. Mixing up the programs weeks as I want an wasy week the week i do piltown.

Friday Off. Golf
    Sat After woeking late friday i held off until 11am to do the run. Mixed up session as i didnt want to miss this. Found myself looking forward to the fast stuff. My tempo is 6.10-6.15 so ci found myself going faster again. I didnt mind the 4th one was I had 1 hour easy after it.
    2 miles easy (7.45)
    4 x 1 miles T 6.10,6.08,6.04,6.02 with 1 min rec
    8 miles @ 7.35
    3 miles @ 6.14 (6.24,6.15,6.03)
    3.5 miles easy(7.30)

I would like the easy pace to go up to 7.20 and the T pace to get closer to 6 min. Very happy with a 6.03 miles after 16.5 miles of running. Total 21 miles with 13 weeks to go I have to be happy with. Went with a lad today that held me up more than he helped. We all have thosse days.
    Hope to have company for every run of over 16 miles especially with tempo miles.
    Managed to do this with no help. After wednesdays poor session the confidence is up again.

Sun and monday off.
    Headed up to the match and found the new regime tough to follow. Have to prepare and find out what I can and cant eat. Little sleep sat night followed by a busy day and work again until late sunday nite feics up the system.
    Holidays monday and couldnt get out.
    Tuesday am alot of bread etc for breakfast and was in bits after it. Wheat doesnt agree with me full stop(wasnt prepared for hols)
    Went out and ran 9 miles and had to find a loo. Had planned to run hard but stomach was in bits early. Done 1 x 2 miles tempo. Ran the last 2 miles against the wind on the beach in the rain. Deadly.

Wednesday
    Stomach still no better. Ran 11 in the gym at the hotel in case I had to stop. Was dodgy all through but got away with it. Put in a 1 x 2 mile tempo and 1 mile tempo and this felt hard(purely stomach) related.

Thursday
    Got home around 3. Daughter fell asleep in car so couldnt go until she woke up. Lashing raining and rain gear all wet or in wash. No one to go with and the thoughts of a 20 didnt appeal. Decided to do 10 in gym. At 10 I decided to do 5 more and maybe run hard satursday. When I got to 15 i had told people who asked how many are you doing ?? so I ended up doing 20 with the last 3 miles at 6.30 pace. Just wanted a few fast ones. Stomach still not great but coming around.
    Ate a couple of sambos after the long one and a bowel of porridge a few hours later. Thats a first for me. Normally I just eat what i want cos I deserve it. Now my tummy dont allow it so i havnt a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You're some legend for the treadie. With mental strength like that, what can stop you in Berlin?

• Advertisement

You're some legend for the treadie. With mental strength like that, what can stop you in Berlin?
    Bread, biccies and no F**king toilets.
    Get the tummy sorted and bobs your uncle. 2.48 appeals but at present I aint near it or anyway close to it.
    But as the title says I have found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

Bread, biccies and no F**king toilets.
    Get the tummy sorted and bobs your uncle. 2.48 appeals but at present I aint near it or anyway close to it.
    But as the title says I have found it.
    fair play VR, 31 miles on the thread....great mental strength is right...good to see ya have your running mojo back

are you running in Dungarvan tonight ?

Sosa wrote: »
    are you running in Dungarvan tonight ?[/QUOTE
    Wont make it tonight. I am running scared. Didnt want you beating me on tired legs and you jogging around.:)

Wont make it tonight. I am running scared. Didnt want you beating me on tired legs and you jogging around.:)

I'll catch up with you some other time,your like Brian Cody there...always talking down your chances :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Only noticed today you had started a new log...best of luck with it.

Food is definitly what you have to conquer. I can't say I've ever put away the quantities you have but I do hit the sugary foods hard when I let my guard down as has happened since the marathon.

You need to draw up a list of day to day foods you have a to avoid and for each food come up with a substitute. Take that list with you when shopping and make sure none of the bad foods get to the checkout and get plenty of the substitutes in so you have the food when you have the munchies. Half the battle is to not have the food to hand when you are craving it.

Some things I find that help:

- usually have a bottle of diet 7 up & dilute orange no added sugar to hand....drinking a pint of something with no calories in it can often satisfy the craving of wanting to eat something

- avoid buying multi packs of things - you know you are just going to eat the whole lot in one sitting so if you are allowing yourself a treat, make sure theres only one of it in the house

- try sitting down and coming up with snacks you have to cook when you're looking to eat something...i.e a stir fry. Make sure you have the ingredients in the fridge and when you get a craving, start cooking, it'll take you 10-15min to cook the thing and thats 10-15min where you are not eating crap

- Count calories - when I'm being good with my eating I allow myself only as many calories of treats as miles I've run - I find it helps to know how little cr*p food it takes to cancel out a 13mile run.

- I always go with the fish option when eating out...the portions are usually smaller as fish is expensive so they don't heap the spuds on as it would make the fish look small.

- I never drink drinks containing sugar - although that doesn't seem to be a vice of yours

- is the eating a substitute for smoking? I've yet to get back to the weight I was when I was smoking - the times now when I eat half an apple tart would have been times for smoking before - I find now the chewing gum helps with that, initially it was nicorette, now just ordinary chewing gum.

I know someone suggested give up the crap or give up the running....but if anything, you must at least keep up the running, even if you can't give up the crap.....the eating you do is not sustainable and will lead to massive weight gain, diabetes & poor health if you were to give up the running. You're slowing the process down by running (you are not cancelling it out though...you've a slow gradual weight gain which will take a long time to reverse).

Best of luck...I'm away now to put into practice all the above as I've put on 4kg since the marathon. Travelling with work kills me....I buy such an amount of crap in petrol stations, might get those breadsticks Krusty suggested for the journeys up and down.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Only noticed today you had started a new log...best of luck with it.

Food is definitly what you have to conquer. I can't say I've ever put away the quantities you have but I do hit the sugary foods hard when I let my guard down as has happened since the marathon.

You need to draw up a list of day to day foods you have a to avoid and for each food come up with a substitute. Take that list with you when shopping and make sure none of the bad foods get to the checkout and get plenty of the substitutes in so you have the food when you have the munchies. Half the battle is to not have the food to hand when you are craving it.

Some things I find that help:

- usually have a bottle of diet 7 up & dilute orange no added sugar to hand....drinking a pint of something with no calories in it can often satisfy the craving of wanting to eat something

- avoid buying multi packs of things - you know you are just going to eat the whole lot in one sitting so if you are allowing yourself a treat, make sure theres only one of it in the house

- try sitting down and coming up with snacks you have to cook when you're looking to eat something...i.e a stir fry. Make sure you have the ingredients in the fridge and when you get a craving, start cooking, it'll take you 10-15min to cook the thing and thats 10-15min where you are not eating crap

- Count calories - when I'm being good with my eating I allow myself only as many calories of treats as miles I've run - I find it helps to know how little cr*p food it takes to cancel out a 13mile run.

- I always go with the fish option when eating out...the portions are usually smaller as fish is expensive so they don't heap the spuds on as it would make the fish look small.

- I never drink drinks containing sugar - although that doesn't seem to be a vice of yours

- is the eating a substitute for smoking? I've yet to get back to the weight I was when I was smoking - the times now when I eat half an apple tart would have been times for smoking before - I find now the chewing gum helps with that, initially it was nicorette, now just ordinary chewing gum.

I know someone suggested give up the crap or give up the running....but if anything, you must at least keep up the running, even if you can't give up the crap.....the eating you do is not sustainable and will lead to massive weight gain, diabetes & poor health if you were to give up the running. You're slowing the process down by running (you are not cancelling it out though...you've a slow gradual weight gain which will take a long time to reverse).

Best of luck...I'm away now to put into practice all the above as I've put on 4kg since the marathon. Travelling with work kills me....I buy such an amount of crap in petrol stations, might get those breadsticks Krusty suggested for the journeys up and down.

Thanks Gringo fro the time to write out that list.
    Dont drink sugary drinks at all. Very rarely.
    Yes i do buy in bulk. Done the shopping today and as i cant eat wheat i bought 12 bags of walkers ready salted as my treat along with 6 bags of popcorn. Also got rice cakes.
    For now i am off bread, biccies and tayros choccie etc. Its not that i am tempted as my stomach cant handle them so the above will keep me going although i will get help from the family with them.
    Fish yes i agree. Was in youghal for 3 nights and had it every day. Just get into the habit of getting it fresh. #and learn how to poach it properly.

Instead of chewing gum i have gone on the brushing my teeth regime.

I cant even eat the sticks krusty was talking about as they contain wheat.

I have a race nxt week and ~i reckon i wont go great. but this will help me even more to motivate me with the long term goal berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If wheat's the problem, you're going to have a tough time keeping up a high carb diet. Bread, Pasta, bagels, pizza, couscous. gone...

Instead: Rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, porridge, spelt bread, chick-peas, barley, etc. Hope you like them. Check your crisps. They might contain wheat too. :( (spot the guy who has a wheat-free child in the house!).

Thanks Gringo fro the time to write out that list.
    Dont drink sugary drinks at all. Very rarely.
    Yes i do buy in bulk. Done the shopping today and as i cant eat wheat i bought 12 bags of walkers ready salted as my treat along with 6 bags of popcorn. Also got rice cakes.
    For now i am off bread, biccies and tayros choccie etc. Its not that i am tempted as my stomach cant handle them so the above will keep me going although i will get help from the family with them.
    Fish yes i agree. Was in youghal for 3 nights and had it every day. Just get into the habit of getting it fresh. #and learn how to poach it properly.

Instead of chewing gum i have gone on the brushing my teeth regime.

I cant even eat the sticks krusty was talking about as they contain wheat.

I have a race nxt week and ~i reckon i wont go great. but this will help me even more to motivate me with the long term goal berlin

I have been having stomach problems myself VR,since Cork...culminating tonight,stomach was in knots at the end of the race.
    I am going to the doc to do some tests,only bothers me after runs.
    Before i got the job i ran in the morning with little food in me,now i run when i can and the stomach is not behaving.

If wheat's the problem, you're going to have a tough time keeping up a high carb diet. Bread, Pasta, bagels, pizza, couscous. gone...

Instead: Rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, porridge, spelt bread, chick-peas, barley, etc. Hope you like them. Check your crisps. They might contain wheat too. :( (spot the guy who has a wheat-free child in the house!).[

Walkers salted crisps kp salted nuts popcorn are all things i can have.
    Everything you mentions i love.

Porridge i love it thank god. Bought honey today so will try that on toast in the morning and if i like it thats another problem solved.
    Like the spelt bread which is great. Must try chickpeas(but i like houmous) Like sweet potatoes.
    Another way of looking at the diet.
    Its easier give up choccie biccies if i cant have them rather than i want to give them up. Make me feel better tummy wise when I eat right. Time will tell. I love pizza but i might try a homemade one sometime. I am thinking weight should come off but I will probaly eat more of the good stuff. Once i can run 26.2 without stopping has to be a success.

today 10k at 7.50 recovery pace. Went with a lad that wanted to break 50 min so it was ideal. He ran A 7.15 first mile as he led the way. A 7.20 second one so he slowed up. Still couldnt see that he went out too hard until i showed him the splits are it. Just shows what we do in races.

• Advertisement

8 miles easy with 12 x 30 seconds hard at the end. It felt tough today but an easy one was ok. The fast stuff turned a flat run into a bit of confidence at the end.
    Session planned for tomoorrow but the weather dont look great.

13.5 miles with 4 x 2 mile tempo @ 6.15 min mile pace with 2 mi rec. After 3 hours sleep i was glad to get it over with it. Again i got a lad to go with me but a few pints last night he wasnt up to much. I will give him one more chance:D:D:D
    As i entered the last set i had stomach problems again. Hope it goes away in the nxt week or so.

Monday 11th 8 miles easy
    Tuesday 12th 9 miles with 3 x 2 miles at 6 min miles
    Wednesday 13th 8 miles easy
    Thursday 14th Off
    Friday 16th Piltown 10km. Felt wrecked and it was like a hard session. 38.53 i think. Was dead on my feet after a mile. I had done alot of miles in previous 9 days and thats the only excuse I can think off. Lucky i got a lift as I would have gone ot hte car at 5 miles.

Sat 17th 10km steady with 20 mile cycle
    Sunday Easy 8 miles
    Monday Easy 5 miles(was shattered)
    Tuesday 2 mile warm up 3 x 3 miles tempo. Couldnt even manage these today. Couldnt even stay at pace ofr hte first 3. Met a lad after the first set and I would have only done one mile of the 2nd set. He set the pace and I got him to increase pace but my pace increased.
    The 3 sets took 6.18, 6.23, 6.18 on average.
    Wednesday 8 miles easy
    Thuursday 8 miles easy with strides

Might do a 10 miler sunday. See how the land lies. Fridays and tuesday runs were out of character i hope. Watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Might do a 10 miler sunday. See how the land lies. Fridays and tuesday runs were out of character i hope. Watch this space.

Was that Ballynonty 10 you were thinking of? Did you run it?

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Was that Ballynonty 10 you were thinking of? Did you run it?

Took of friday and sat as i felt i had buried myself the previous week.
    Stomach in a bad way sat night before work.
    Went to Ballynonty. After 3.5 hours sleep i was using it as a session and decide at 5 what to do. I decided to go off at 6.15 a mile but felt stomach immediately. Ran 10km at this pace and it felt ok(manage it for 10 without racing)Couldnt go any further. Had to jump the fence and do the business. Pulled up the trousers and about to go and had to drop them again. Continued on at 6 min mile pace for half a mile when stomach was killing me again. Eased up and ran in at 6.30 pace. Dont know what time i ran(66 i think) but it felt ok.
    Went to the doctor today and got my bloods done. Really getting frustrated with it all. Ended up going on the fags after the race in between another pit stop. I will find out results in 2 weeks. Will be back from poland then so hopefully i will get the all clear. Really worried about the whole thing.
    On a positive note the weight is dropping.
    No wheat product in 18 days. So no biccies cakes chocolate etc. I dont even miss it because i know it will mess up tummy. Would rather be injured. Plan for nxt 8 days is to run in hte gym(in case) and that includes a 20 miler.
    This has been happening since january 31st so it is beginning to be a worry. If i am coeliac so be it and i will get on with it. Other option will be to get a tube stuck down and see whats going on.
    Trying to think what i eat saturday that messed me up ??

today 8 miles easy in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Sorry to hear about all the troubles. I went through something stomach wise early last year similar though not as severe - got the camera down in the end and H.Pylori. Got it sorted. Then inflamation came back. Diagnosed with IBS in the end (runs in the family as well as other numerous stomach probs) and i find i have to watch what i eat or else im on the toilet or cramping for days.

I wouldn't worry. No point til you get results and prob something that can simply be rectified. I find the more it plays on your head the more it can affect your tummy so id try and put it to the back of your mind.

Your some man fo the treddie runs. Don't know how you do it.

8 miles easy this morning at 6am. Pi**ing rain. Finished it with 10 x 30 seconds. Back on hte fags due to feeling down about health. Dont make sense. Stomach still poor. Session tomorrow so will decide tomorrow how i feel. If not great i will run easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Hi VR, your stomach problems sounds like the flu thats doing the rounds atm. I had it last week, the runs, horrible cramps at night and feeling tired. It lasted 6 or 7 days, today was the first day I felt normal again.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Hi VR, your stomach problems sounds like the flu thats doing the rounds atm. I had it last week, the runs, horrible cramps at night and feeling tired. It lasted 6 or 7 days, today was the first day I felt normal again.

on off since jan 31st......must be some fcuking flu.....thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

Tempo tonight. I dont want to do them in the gym but will have to if I have too. No peach before I ran(thanks Peckham) so i felt ok. Its like as if they is a lump of ****e on top of my bowel and I cant ****e to get it out. Ok enough of been a doctor. In the 24 hours it goes from coeliac to cancer in my head.
    Ran 13.1 tonight. Went with a local fella. Good runner but didnt do what he was told. 2 mile warm up 4 mile tempo 2 mile easy 4 mile tempo 1.1 easy.
    First 4 miles although a little downhill was against the wind. Sundays race was in my legs as I struggled to a 6.13 then he took off to a 5.57(to quick) 6.11 and 6.12. Ok mile 2 is downhill but was against the wind. Too hard. Felt i was racing to keep up. Took a 2 mile easy insteady of 10 min. But i had modified the 20 min to 4 miles. 2nd set he seemed to be tired.
    The breeze seemed to turn around. 6.25, 6.34(uphill). It was only at this stage I looked at the watch and realised that I was behind. I was waited for the other lad to kick on. I ran the 3rd at 6.11 and went for hte last. With 400 m left I was tired and sore but the local lads were hurling training so no fcuking way was I slow. In fact I picked it up and ran a 5.45 last mile. Average fro the tempos were 6.12 pace which if i hadnt raced sunday would have felt easier. Total 13.1 in 88 min. Average 6.46 a mile

Its learning what is right and wrong for me. Last year i would have tried this tuesday and flopped. Tomorrow I might try a slow 20 and get a rub after it.
    If I do that I will do the 100k cycle saturday and a 22 miler monday. Get the stomach sorted and bobs your uncle. 13.1 in 88 min. 6.46 a mile.

Advertisement