Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need Motivation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Trying to think what i eat saturday that messed me up ??

Might be worth keeping a food diary over the next few weeks of exactly what you eat...you never know, there could be some wheat containing stuff in there unbeknownst to you. Can take months for the symptoms of a coeliac to clear up after switching to the gluten free diet so 18 days off the wheat is not really conclusive at all. Certainly, a race always upsets even the best stomach so I wouldn't read too much into the 10 miler. nerves & stress bring stomach problems on also...i always get slight diarrhoea a few hours before big races without having eaten anything different at all, just the nerves tip me over the edge. Its sh*tty having to wait 2 weeks for the results, the stress of that alone is not doing you any good. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Planned a 20 today but only managed 14.5 miles. Was tired anyway but stomach shagged again. Its getting so frustrating that running is becoming a chore. Just keeping a cool head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

had a look back thorugh your log there, the longer tempo sessions are good arent they! i have done only 1/2 of 1 so far but looking forward to being able to complete them!

its too bad about the stomach probs, its holding you back a bit alright but i guess your still doing good mileage and quality tempo sessions also.

by the way, what do you do in 1min or 2min rest periods? walk, jog, walk/jog?

seanynova wrote: »
    had a look back thorugh your log there, the longer tempo sessions are good arent they! i have done only 1/2 of 1 so far but looking forward to being able to complete them!

its too bad about the stomach probs, its holding you back a bit alright but i guess your still doing good mileage and quality tempo sessions also.

by the way, what do you do in 1min or 2min rest periods? walk, jog, walk/jog?

Stay running. As you get fitter the pace will get get faster on the recoveries. The key is too be freshish for the 2nd one, The first few should be easy. Dont try and gain a few seconds earlier and lose them late on.
    Yes doing quality sessions so fingers crossed I might be ok.

sat Didnt do the cycle with mondays long one on the mind.
    11 miles at 6.43 pace.

Sunday Day off with a little visit to McDonalds
    Monday 23 miles with 2 mile warm up 2 x 2 mile tempo 12 miles easy 3 mile tempo and 2 miles easy.
    The first two felt tough(6.10 pace) but after getting to bed at 4.30am it didnt help. Still on the cigs so that didnt help. The 2nd two miles felt a little easier(6.11 pace) the 12 miles easy was jogging with a friend that really varied in pace. I was feeling fresher as the miles went by. When i hit 18 miles i didnt know what i was able to do so i picked it up. 6.12 first miles was against the wind. The nxt mile was 6.20 so i knew i was behind. I turned a corner so i knew the breeze was on my side for the last mile. After a fast finish mile wednesday I was aiming for a sub 6 min mile for mile 21. Finshed it in 5.59 so was happy out. Best way to celbrate this one was 20 malboro lights. Classic. Over all pace was 7.20 so the fast miles really brought the pace up on what was slow run but enjoyable one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

sat Didnt do the cycle with mondays long one on the mind.
    11 miles at 6.43 pace.

Sunday Day off with a little visit to McDonalds
    Monday 23 miles with 2 mile warm up 2 x 2 mile tempo 12 miles easy 3 mile tempo and 2 miles easy.
    The first two felt tough(6.10 pace) but after getting to bed at 4.30am it didnt help. Still on the cigs so that didnt help. The 2nd two miles felt a little easier(6.11 pace) the 12 miles easy was jogging with a friend that really varied in pace. I was feeling fresher as the miles went by. When i hit 18 miles i didnt know what i was able to do so i picked it up. 6.12 first miles was against the wind. The nxt mile was 6.20 so i knew i was behind. I turned a corner so i knew the breeze was on my side for the last mile. After a fast finish mile wednesday I was aiming for a sub 6 min mile for mile 21. Finshed it in 5.59 so was happy out. Best way to celbrate this one was 20 malboro lights. Classic. Over all pace was 7.20 so the fast miles really brought the pace up on what was slow run but enjoyable one.

I'm going to try and bite my tongue here, but you should change the title of your post to something else. It pisses me off no end that someone with as much talent as yourself would go and smoke 20 fags. You don't need motivation VR, you need a kick up the ar*e

Speedy44 wrote: »
    I'm going to try and bite my tongue here, but you should change the title of your post to something else. It pisses me off no end that someone with as much talent as yourself would go and smoke 20 fags. You don't need motivation VR, you need a kick up the ar*e
    Your dead right. Brother getting married friday in poland so i was going to smoke that day so saturday is the day to give them up. 7 weeks before berlin is plenty.
    Dont ever be afraid to bite your tongue. Whats on your mind say it. Yes i am a disaster. But i wont let smoking fcuk up berlin. The stomach might but i am powerless over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Your dead right. Brother getting married friday in poland so i was going to smoke that day so saturday is the day to give them up. 7 weeks before berlin is plenty.
    Dont ever be afraid to bite your tongue. Whats on your mind say it. Yes i am a disaster. But i wont let smoking fcuk up berlin. The stomach might but i am powerless over that.

we can all find excuses mate, brother getting married, argument with the wife, bad day at the office etc etc. What d'ya mean 'you won't let smoking fcuk up Berlin'? Surely I don't have to point out the obvious?

Anyway, best of luck with the battle VR, pack them in and you can really see some results, don't, well, it may not be just missed pb's you have to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Speedy44 wrote: »
    we can all find excuses mate, brother getting married, argument with the wife, bad day at the office etc etc. What d'ya mean 'you won't let smoking fcuk up Berlin'? Surely I don't have to point out the obvious?

Anyway, best of luck with the battle VR, pack them in and you can really see some results, don't, well, it may not be just missed pb's you have to worry about.

Hey Speedy, do I detect a fellow ex-smoker nazi here?:D

Sometimes you need a "final day" to quit, and there's going to be no fun if you're sat at a wedding thinking about having a fag, instead of enjoying yourself, VR. Speedy's right though, give them up (after the wedding) and knuckle down to a Berlin PB.

(Ex- 40 a day smoker, never believed I could really do without them, after a while the desire for a smoke disappears, and believe me its worth it. That'll come to you too soon enough, but best of luck getting there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Any chance stomach problems are related to inhaling cancer sticks ?

Besides your unhealthy obsession with food and cigs do you have any other vices you want to tell us about. Alcohol, cannabis, heroin crack cocaine ?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Best way to celbrate this one was 20 malboro lights.

You're some Buachaill VR. Following up a great training session with 20 smokes. Classic stuff alright. Roadrunner is spot on though in what he said about the smokes causing stomach problems.
    But we're preching to the converted here, you know yourself its not ideal to be joe rokin' and training for a marathon so being an ex-smoker nazi will do no good. Im sure you'll deal with it in your own time. But just keep one thing in mind: How much better you'd be without the smokes. That'll kill ye every time a smoke even goes near your mouth.

Any chance stomach problems are related to inhaling cancer sticks ?

Besides your unhealthy obsession with food and cigs do you have any other vices you want to tell us about. Alcohol, cannabis, heroin crack cocaine ?:D

I only went back on them after a shi*e race. Not even going to smoke friday. I now have had my last cig until berlin. Have my patches. After 3-4 days i dont miss them. So they aint related to my stomach woes. I am laughing at the commentabove cos you aint far off the mark. Lets say with even a food/ciggie addiction life is a whole lot better than it was.
    Ran 23 without a problem thank god. By the way roadrunner you missed one of the biggest addictions out there.

But yes i agree with all ye boys re smoking. If i didnt want to be knocked i wouldnt have mentioned it. So yes its the answers i wanted.
    Getting up at 2.30 so i better hit the sack.

took tuesday and wednesday off although i had a little swim tuesday
    Very hard to stay off wheat in poland.
    13.5 miles yesterday that didnt go great. 2 miles warm up with a supposed 8 x tempo miles with 30 seconds recovery. Managed 4 but felt tired. Got a loo break and done a few easy miles. Contined the tempo sfter that although stomach still poor. Managed another 3 and done the last km in 3.37 so happyish as i was feiced early.

Today got up at 6.30 to do 10 miles and went around easy in 73 min although i put in a 6 min mile so that got the time down. Had a swim later and calfs kept cramping.

The last two days were done around the lakes of poznan in poland which is to hold the world sprint canoeing champs in two weeks. Weather was glorious even at 6.30am. Scenery magic and it made a 10 miler early in the morning easy to do. Plenty of runners out and bikers a plenty. Wedding today so tomorrow 2 x 5 milers will do. Cant take the day off as I have had sunday, tuesday and wednesday off this week.
    Smoking wednesdays planned start didnt work out and especially after yesterdays run I folded as the nmonkey on my back told me sat was the day. Bringing a 4 and 2 year old to a warm country aint a great idea.

By the way roadrunner you missed one of the biggest addictions out there.

which one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

which one ?

women? seems to be the only vice not listed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sex.
    Jaysus, do you runners ever gt a look in?

shels4ever wrote: »
    women? seems to be the only vice not listed :)

or men !! depending on what floats your boat

Jaysus, do you runners ever gt a look in?

No too tired with all the training to muster anything up

which one ?
    Its legal and its deemed fun. It seems to be getting more popular by the day. Lets say all you need is a credit card.

It aint s*x by the way folks.

Today 10 miles easy in the backarse of poland. Even got 6 miles on a road that consisted of muck and room for one car or maybe a tractor. Stomach woes again. Glad to be coming home tomorrow to get back to normal food. Will find out test results.

Dose of tonsilitis since sat. Went to doctor today. Havent ran since sunday(I always get sick when I give up the fags) Had planned to do the half in clonmel so will hope to run around it in 87 odd minutes but with antibiotics I will play it by ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dose of tonsilitis since sat. Went to doctor today. Havent ran since sunday(I always get sick when I give up the fags) Had planned to do the half in clonmel so will hope to run around it in 87 odd minutes but with antibiotics I will play it by ear.
    That's bad luck VR. I hate to profit from your misfortune, but will gladly jump into the breach for the 1:30 Dublin half. Hopefully this won't impact at all for the Berlin training. How's the mileage going generally speaking?

By the way, is it online poker? (confused!).

Would you not just skip that race? Doesn't sound good to do on antibiotics (I'm only trying to get you healthy to the line in Ballycotton)

Savage tempo session recently by the way....you did 2x4miles quicker than I could manage 5. Is that tempo session something you came up with yourself or from a training plan....its more S&M than P&D I have to say.

That's bad luck VR. I hate to profit from your misfortune, but will gladly jump into the breach for the 1:30 Dublin half. Hopefully this won't impact at all for the Berlin training. How's the mileage going generally speaking?

By the way, is it online poker? (confused!).

Along those lines Krusty. Credit Card and bobs your uncle.
    I had to run sub 80 for the half this week to pace it and now I wont be racing i so folded so to speak. They are the rules. I only ran 3 with a pb of 83(not my present fitness) But if you have the sub 80 requirement you should be given it. Considering you wouldnt have ran it last year based on 3 hours in berlin where did you cram a sub 80 half into your busy schedule this year ???
    10 miles at mp is normally my run 7 days before hand. So i dont really mind.

Gringo, After a zero week this week I probaly cant afford a taper week the ballycotton one. But i def wont be racing clonmel. If it means I do a slow 17 so be it.

The program was daniels. Supposed to be 3 miles(20 min) but I wanted to push more(punish myself) after having to stop after 10km in the race 4 days previous. a sub 6 min mile on a 21st mile while smoking tells me i am in decent shape.

Friday 5 easy
    Sat 8 easy
    sun Clonmel half 14.3 miles at 6.50 pace which felt tough. As i was and am still on anibiotics a HR of 161 tells me i was working hard. A 6.30 first mile was too fast so i eased of and finished the last 4 fast(fast on hte day)
    Monday 10 easy am 5 easy pm
    tuesday 10 easy am 5 easy pm

Plan is to get a big number this week and when antivbiotics wear off to do a few fast ones.
    Appointment for a scope friday week so it rules me out of ballycotton as I have to take stuff thursday to clear the system. Prob another 2-3 days without a run but hopefully I will know more then. Stomach has improved dramically in last few weeks.
    Gave up porridge that I always ate so maybe thats the problem. Thanks Eoin. As i have booked the scope I may as well have it.
    But training aint where it should be so mighr have to revise target in two weeks. Hopefully the easy high mileage will help the stamina.
    Also trying to shed a few ibs so it will help that anyway.

wednesday
    6am 8.5 easy miles with strides
    Thursday
    off
    Friday
    Done a 22 mile this evening. Very warm conditions which will be ideal training for berlin. Easy run @ 7.27 pace that i could have ran for another 4.2 miles. Antibiotics should be worn off by sunday. 85 miles ran in the last week is a plus after a near zero the previous week.
    Need to do a fast session soon but dont want to chance it and relapsing. Wait until monday. Do another one thursday am so i should be grand.
    Story to date is i have plenty of stamina and i need to get a bit of speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Im in awe of that mileage. Kudos.

Glad to hear you're back on track. Seems like ditching all the wheat has worked. You'll power on from here. In a really ironic way, trying to eat healthier probably resulted in you swapping chocolate and other sh*te for more wheat and porridge and bringing on the stomach problems. The last 6 months must have been so frustrating. Pity you can't make ballycotton 5 but I look forward to racing against you sometime in the future....prob the 2011 10 milers.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're back on track. Seems like ditching all the wheat has worked. You'll power on from here. In a really ironic way, trying to eat healthier probably resulted in you swapping chocolate and other sh*te for more wheat and porridge and bringing on the stomach problems. The last 6 months must have been so frustrating. Pity you can't make ballycotton 5 but I look forward to racing against you sometime in the future....prob the 2011 10 milers.
    Will look forward to it. A shame as was looking forward to it.

Today body was tired. Easy 7 miles hust to get the legs ticking over.
    Another two high mileage weeks with some fast work should set me up nicely. More interested in getting the weight down as I know I will train hard. 5 weeks aint along time:D

Easy hour today with low heart rate.
    30 min in gym.

Wrecked today so didnt want to push as I have a long one again tomorrow. Have to do a 16 but better do the 22 odd tomorrow and do the 16-17 thursday...........Glad to see the end of this week.

• Advertisement

Lack of sleep, big mileage last week, Long one friday, antibiotics for a week.Ran 21.5 miles today and I felt every one of them. 2 miles easy 4 x 1 mile tempo at 6.12 pace that felt really fast. Just stuck to the floor heavy legged etc. Averaged out at 7.20 a mile but it was the hardest 7.20 a mile run i ever ran. Didnt enjoy 1 mile of it. Got it done. Had company as if i didnt i would have stopped at 10. Another longish one thursday but apart from that its an easy week. Was supposed to pick up pace at 17 miles with a 4 x 1 mile tempo but i was lucky to stay going. Had no water so was really dehydrated after it.

Advertisement