Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Round A

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

Hopefully whoever got offered your first choice Linda will defer & the place will fall to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

Your first choice could be someone else's 3rd choice & if they get offered a higher choice then your first choice will be freed up & offered to someone else (hopefully you)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Whoop

Got my first choice, Creative Digital Media in Blanchardstown.

I'm going to college. I'm actually going to college. I never thought I'd see this day coming ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lindalinda

thanks a mill,, i had only got 159 in the aptitude so i wasnt holding out much hope, but happy to have gotten a place anyways,, another waiting game till august :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

I am devistated got no offers. Have to rethink plans now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Moomia

Daisling, its not over yet you may still get an offer in other rounds!!!;)

What score did you get and what were your choices???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

December wrote: »
    I got my first choice too @ UCC :D \o/

Any other mature peeps on the board going to UCC?

Me! Can't believe it really, although I've known for a while, there is nothing like seeing the offer there on the CAO site and pressing accept! Yipeee!!

my choices were social care in tallaght and carlow. I was told at interview that i would not get tallaght but at carlow they said I did very well so was hopeful had 5 options in total. Thing is I have a level 7 degree that is now worse than useless. |Employers keep telling me I am too educated for jobs I just wanted to retrain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nukinfuts

Moomia wrote: »
    What score did you get and what were your choices???
    whats the whole score thing about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nukinfuts

daisling wrote: »
    I am devistated got no offers. Have to rethink plans now. :(
    sorry to hear that, is there a 1 year course you could do related to it this year and then reapply next year maybe? like a Fetac level 5 or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Moomia

Oh Daisling that's terrible, but you still have a chance in other rounds?? Why is the level 7 useless, will it not be any good to you at all???

nukinfuts sorry the score is only related to the aptitude test for the nursing/midwifery applicants...sorry forgot that not everyone on here is nursing applicant!

It is a degree in property valuations! The one area you cant get a job. i loved the course hated the work but the recession hit and solved that problem unemployed 12 months on Friday cant seem to get interviews even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Hi all congratulations to many people here,it was a nervous wait.
    I got a quick question,I got accepted for level 8 Nuig but would have preferred level 7 course gmit I applied for.
    I am not unhappy as I will take no matter what but I was wondering will they offer me my first choice level 7 at a later round if I accept my first choice level 8 r should I wait a few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dandoline

Congrats everyone!!

I was offered my second choice which Im delighted about..Cant believe Im going to college!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Ha.. feel a bit like on the outside looking in as I got no offers this morning. Bit of a bummer, as I was holding out hope. Not sure if I'm going to wait around for later round offers - need to find something to do with my life than the sit and wait approach. Particularly since a lot of people are using childcare courses as gateways to get into teaching down the line.

Ahh well - sucks but sure.. that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I heard of matures last year who didn't receive an offer and rather than go the mature route again they did the leaving cert and will get their place next month through the points system. At least by going the leaving cert points route, their destiny is in their own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

I'm the same as you racersedge, there was no offers for me today either! Just wondered if anyone who got the lowest score on the aptitude test (156) got a place?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lindalinda

Hi quick Question, does anyone know will there be any other offers md july or is written in stone that the next offer for matures is 5th of august??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kimmy w

hey im new to bords but just wanted to say to any1 who is disappointed today that i wasnt hopeful of a place as i only scored 164 but im over the moon to have got ucd general.. my heart goes out to anyone who wasnt as fortunate today....it could have easily been me in fact i was prepared for failure. im 25 an have been waiting for this chance for a long time all i can say is there is still hope an a chance till october this year...dont give up hope!! i think alot of us think of the people who didnt get in today more than those who did..really really sorry for any1 goin through that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I got my first choice too, didnt think I would though but absoloutely delighted I did get it. Hopefully those who didnt get a call this morning will get the call in the next few days/weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Can someone clarify that not all courses were being offered to mature applicants today?

I was told at my interview for Culinary Arts in DIT I would be offered a place when they were being offered. I don't even know if this course applies to the early round offers or if it's round zero I'm waiting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

strange one hoppie ...... have you received any correspondance from DIT
    since your interview? it's only some applicants i think got their places today
    did you apply as a mature student ?
    did you check your cao application online?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well now! Congratulations to everyone who got a place. I remember the feeling well. (I did a little dance. I also cried, but sssh!) I hope you go out and celebrate your success. I'm so happy for you all. EDIT: Make sure you all accept your offers!!!!!!!!!

For those who didn't get a place, it is heartbreaking but do not give up hope! Use it as a learning experience. You will be more prepared for this process next year. Plus: You may still get an offer in the 2nd or subsequent rounds.

If not,
    • Write to the head of the department and ask for feedback on your application and what you can do to improve your application for next year. (Colleges do remember you for doing this!)
    • Have a look at FETAC and Open University courses. Find a course that would compliment your application for next year.
    • Try get work/shadow experience in the area you are looking at if you haven't done so already.

This year will have been an extremely difficult year to get a place as a mature student as there has been a higher volume of applicants.

I didn't get in the first year I applied and I am very happy (in hindsight) that I didn't. I was much more prepared for college life, the course and the study that goes with it this year.

Feel free to PM me with any questions if you're feeling a little lost or want to vent. I'll try help point you in the right direction.

No, I haven't recieved anyhting since the interview. Though I think was told I wouldn't recieve an offer 'til August I'm not 100% certain on that.

Yes, I applied as a mature student and have checked my application online.

I actually had no idea there was any offers out today but on the web site it says early round offers for nursing etc. which makes me think it's only offers in that field or similar getting offers today. Still, I can't be certain as DIT doesn't seem to be the easiet college to get in contact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

HoPpiE wrote: »
    No, I haven't recieved anyhting since the interview. Though I think was told I wouldn't recieve an offer 'til August I'm not 100% certain on that.

I actually had no idea there was any offers out today but on the web site it says early round offers for nursing etc. which makes me think it's only offers in that field or similar getting offers today. Still, I can't be certain as DIT doesn't seem to be the easiet college to get in contact with.

If you were told you would be offered a place, I would assume you would have received it today. Have you tried ringing them? I would ring them up just to put your mind at rest!

From their website it says
    # July: CAO Mature Student early round offers, you must reply and accept your place through the CAO
    # August: Final offers sent by CAO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

HoPpiE wrote: »

The course I was offered today is engineering related.

OK thanks guys I'll try contact them.

Not looking good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Can mature students apply for the following courses with places currently available, providing they meet the minimum entry requirements?

http://www.cao.ie/courses/vpl_courses_popup.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

i got buisness in LIT today ... but didnt have to have an interview or anything

i think the culinary arts is a little different ... i know its cooking duh
    but did you have to do a pratical exam ?

but i havent heard of any mature students for art and design getting there place today ..and they are usually notified later anyway as they have to go through alot of portfolios and it may be the same if you did a pratical
    dont worry

try contact DIT tommorrow after 9am ...

• Advertisement

No I didn't do anything but an interview when I applied. I don't know who exactly to get in touch with. I think I would probably like to speak to them in person though.

It's really frustrating though as I only moved to Dublin last week on the basis that I would be starting college in September, which was my understanding from the interview.

EDIT: Do you get a rejection notice?

Advertisement