Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Round A

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Could someone explain to me this score thing, I didn't even know we were given numbered scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

browne111 wrote: »
    J1? What age are ye? :D

I'm 27 and worked full time from the moment I finished my Leaving in June 2000 up until March of this year.

I fancy a bit of regression therapy and living my student years now. Plus I'm in the lucky position of having no ties (mortgage, kids, O/H) so why bloody not:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Could anyone confirm the acceptance online via the CAO

All I did was click the one button and that was it - accepted apparently.

Was expecting maybe a form or something - was it really that straightforward ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

redout wrote: »

Yep thats it :D You will get a confirmation in the post in the next few weeks, but you're a fully fledged student now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭BroFlo

Yep thats all i did too :) also got an email to say i have accepted the course.

whats next I wonder?! maybe a letter from our uni's?!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that ^

Just one more thing has me curious - on the paper offer from the CAO it has near the top 'your score (if applicable)' then a number wrote next to it. What is that for exactly and what is the range of the numbers does anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭BroFlo

Thanks for that ^

Just one more thing has me curious - on the paper offer from the CAO it has near the top 'your score (if applicable)' then a number wrote next to it. What is that for exactly and what is the range of the numbers does anyone know ?

I am just looking at that myself.

I got 999 for my 1st choice, 999 for my third choice & 999 for my 7 choice (they are the only interviews/aptitude tests I did)

Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilylarkin

I think the 999 figures are only there in lieu of actual scores. I got 677 and 678 under my first and second scores but 999's across the rest. I dont think th 999's actually relate to any scores.

lilylarkin wrote: »
    I think the 999 figures are only there in lieu of actual scores. I got 677 and 678 under my first and second scores but 999's across the rest. I dont think th 999's actually relate to any scores.

But what does 677 and 678 mean ? That is why I asked about the range of the numbers. I would take a stab in the dark that the higher the number the better although in truth I dont have a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭magicface1

I got my first choice in DIT which I am delighted. DT365 for next year so delighted just to put it out there now. Can some one please confirm that when I accepted the course that I will offically have my course in september which it cant be taking away from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

magicface1 wrote: »
    I got my first choice in DIT which I am delighted. DT365 for next year so delighted just to put it out there now. Can some one please confirm that when I accepted the course that I will offically have my course in september which it cant be taking away from me.

Yes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

But what does 677 and 678 mean ? That is why I asked about the range of the numbers. I would take a stab in the dark that the higher the number the better although in truth I dont have a clue!

I remember someone telling me this last year but I can't remember now! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭magicface1

Larianne wrote: »

Thanks Larianne.
    Oh my god the weight has just been lifted off my shoulders its great.. so looking forward to it.

BroFlo wrote: »
    I am just looking at that myself.

I got 999 for my 1st choice, 999 for my third choice & 999 for my 7 choice (they are the only interviews/aptitude tests I did)

Strange.
    lilylarkin wrote: »
    Larianne wrote: »

Found it in the CAO handbook

Order of merit
    Eligible applicants will be placed in an order of merit list
    for each course to which they have applied. For those
    presenting Irish Leaving Certificate only, this will
    normally be determined by a points score based on
    examination results (see table on page 10). For each course
    to which you have applied, your Leaving Certificate
    results are checked to see if you meet the minimum entry
    requirements for the course. Points will be calculated only
    after it has been determined that the results on your CAO
    file meet the minimum entry requirements for the course.

HEIs may also determine an appropriate points score in the
    case of mature applicants, those presenting other
    examinations, or as the result of other tests or evaluation
    procedures.

The greater your points score, the higher you will appear
    in the order of merit list for the course. Places will be
    offered to an appropriate number of applicants, beginning
    with those at the top of the order of merit list and
    descending.

(In the case of applicants for nursing/midwifery who apply
    using the mature applicant course codes, places in the
    order of merit list will be determined by a score obtained
    from the assessment procedures outlined in the Nursing
    Careers Centre literature.)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Got my offer today in the post for my first preference. I had known in advance I had gotten a place as UCD sent me a letter a few days after the interview telling me this much and that I just had to wait for the CAO to officially send me my offer.

Interested in the 'your score' detail, aswell. I got 604 and the course was DN004 - Diagnostic Imaging.

Interested in the 'your score' detail, aswell. I got 604 and the course was DN004 - Diagnostic Imaging.

I got 878 - accordng to the CAO handbook the higher the number the higher you appear on the order of merit list and places are offered beginning with those at the top of the order and descending obvioulsy until all places on that course are allocated but the annoying this is that we dont know what the maximum score is thus we cant really judge how we were marked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭browne111

Macca3000 wrote: »
    I'm 27 and worked full time from the moment I finished my Leaving in June 2000 up until March of this year.

I fancy a bit of regression therapy and living my student years now. Plus I'm in the lucky position of having no ties (mortgage, kids, O/H) so why bloody not:D
    Fair play to ya. Im 24 but could think of nothing worse!!:D

Got my offer today in the post for my first preference. I had known in advance I had gotten a place as UCD sent me a letter a few days after the interview telling me this much and that I just had to wait for the CAO to officially send me my offer.

Ya I got 604 and then beside it is 966

I got 878 - accordng to the CAO handbook the higher the number the higher you appear on the order of merit list and places are offered beginning with those at the top of the order and descending obvioulsy until all places on that course are allocated but the annoying this is that we dont know what the maximum score is thus we cant really judge how we were marked!
    What course are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 C86

Id love to know whats up with that 'your score' thing too. I assumed random numbers were just thrown down there because I was a mature student and not going by leaving cert points but got a little confused then reading what others were suggesting it was. I know the entrance exam for the course I accepted was definately not marked out of ten thousand but I have 9999 next to 'your score' on the offer notice. Maybe the row of nines just means it goes by entrance exam/interview by the college itself but for other courses the cao give a score?

As for being accepted? I already have my facebook updated with my university details and graduating year, haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 araic26

Got my first and only choice too....WOOHOO, major weight off my shoulders, now just to be eligible for grant hehe

Congrats to all!!!!! Even if some may have not succeeded-(yet)ye still made that massive step to apply!!

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rhondadunphy

got my first choice in DIT event management, so DIT are giving out offeres as I know of a few people whom got their offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

got my first choice in DIT event management, so DIT are giving out offeres as I know of a few people whom got their offers.

shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Ya the only problems with offers from DIT seems to be from the School of
    Culinary Arts and Food Technology. I was talking to the school secretary and she said it would be sorted as soon as possible. Seems like a bit of a joke to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Chorcai wrote: »
    I heard nothing at all, even thou DIT offered me a place, CAO have no offers for me ! Should I ring ? Seems every mature student has been offered a place !

So I sent an e-mail to CAO to find out whats the story. The reply back was "We were not authorised to issue you any offer in this Round by any of the institutions to which you applied"

My courses in order 1, NCAD AD111 1st Year (Core), 2, DIT DT546, 3, DIT DT545 etc

I was put on the waiting list for NCAD, DIT offered me a place for either course and sent a letter to me with both offers ! Think its time to get intouch with DIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Definitely get in contact with DIT asap, I did and they said they're on the case getting it sorted and it seems to be big enough mistake on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

HoPpiE wrote: »
    Definitely get in contact with DIT asap, I did and they said they're on the case getting it sorted and it seems to be big enough mistake on their behalf.

Did you email or phone the admissions dept ? Bob + Cathy are away untill the 13th of July, seem really strange that both mature student liaison persons are away at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Emailed the CAO yesterday about the 'your score' item on the offer notice.

They replied: ''It is an artificial score given by UCD''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shivkm

BIFFOS wrote: »
    :confused:Did anyone get mature nursing in Athlone? if so please let me know and what score you got.
    Hi Biffos
    I got offered psychiatric nursing in athlone on 167 points, i am also looking for anyone who is doing this course maybe going in to second or third year would like to have an idea of timetable as i am traveling from Galway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Coolage, I won't be the only one slightly older than everyone else looking round me and thinking "what the hell have I just done" :eek:

No mate another guy I know hes about 30 is going to so its all good :)

Advertisement