Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle to Work Scheme

• 20-06-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I was just wondering, what percentage of the bike do you get off with the cycle to work scheme?

cheers,

Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Usually the full thing, although you only pay 49% of the cost if you are on the higher tax band...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You basically save your marginal tax rate plus PRSI on the purchase price (up to a price of €1,000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Kevin! wrote: »
    Hello,

I was just wondering, what percentage of the bike do you get off with the cycle to work scheme?

cheers,

Kevin.

check out all the info here.

Bike to Work Scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Beasty wrote: »
    You basically save your marginal tax rate plus PRSI on the purchase price (up to a price of €1,000)

and the levy too?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

penexpers wrote: »
    and the levy too?
    Yes - it reduces gross pay, and hence is not subject to the levy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

So In my understanding, I pay for the bike in full and being on the low tax band I get a credit on my taxes for €1,000?

I'm confused as to the calculator on cyclesuperstore.ie, as It states that the bike will still cost 700 euro?

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/bike2work.asp?idpage=140

sorry for the lack of knowledge, not great when it comes to taxation.

cheers,

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Kevin,

In overly simplistic terms:

Without the scheme:

1. Let's say you earn €2,000 in salary.
    2. You pay €500 in tax and have €1,500 in your pocket.
    3. You go buy a bike for €1,000.
    4. You've a nice bike and €500 in your pocket.

With the scheme:

1. Again, you earn €2,000 in salary.
    2. You get your employer to buy the bike for €1,000.
    3. You pay €250 in tax on the remaining €1,000 salary and have €750 in your pocket.
    4. You now have a nice bike and €750 in your pocket.

In both scenarios you've a nice bike. With the scheme you've an extra €250 in your pocket.

This is a simplification. Some important points:

A) The more tax you pay, the greater the discount. Does that make sense?
    B) Typically, your employer won't take the full €1,000 from your salary in one lump sum. They'll take it out over up to 12 months. Just so you don't get a big 'hit' in the month you get the bike.

Make sense?

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Kevin,

In overly simplistic terms:

Without the scheme:

1. Let's say you earn €2,000 in salary.
    2. You pay €500 in tax and have €1,500 in your pocket.
    3. You go buy a bike for €1,000.
    4. You've a nice bike and €500 in your pocket.

With the scheme:

1. Again, you earn €2,000 in salary.
    2. You get your employer to buy the bike for €1,000.
    3. You pay €250 in tax on the remaining €1,000 salary and have €750 in your pocket.
    4. You now have a nice bike and €750 in your pocket.

In both scenarios you've a nice bike. With the scheme you've an extra €250 in your pocket.

This is a simplification. Some important points:

A) The more tax you pay, the greater the discount. Does that make sense?
    B) Typically, your employer won't take the full €1,000 from your salary in one lump sum. They'll take it out over up to 12 months. Just so you don't get a big 'hit' in the month you get the bike.

Make sense?

DFD.

Thank you for the clarification, although disappointing lol.

I was under the impression that the full cost of the bike is covered by the scheme, but now I understand that it is only a certain percentage of it dictated by your tax band (the higher it is, the more of a discount?)

cheers,

Kevin

Advertisement