Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public Access Desktop Help!!

• 21-06-2010 12:29am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hi...
    (mods, if this is the wrong forum please move it to the right one)

i was wondering if you could give me some help...

I am usually very careful when it comes to downloading stuff but the other day I was in a rush and google did it's did you mean thing and gave me a link to something I didnt want. but as I was in a hurry, I downloaded it anyway.

Long story short I have downloaded this software http://download.cnet.com/Public-Acce...4_4-89951.html and when I was asked to create a master password for it, I did, but mistyped it. I am now unable to use my laptop.

Im running windows XP pro on the laptop if that makes any odds

Any help much appreciated, I have tried to do a system restore but that facility seems to be disabled. I have also tried starting it in safe mode and safe mode with command prompt but both to no avail.

If someone knows a command I could put into command prompt to override it that might work, but I really don't know what to do.

Thanks a million,
    I will return any help I can

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Try f8, safe mode, make new admin or new guest account you could probably uninstall public acess program,from safe mode, if it wont allow you to UNINSTALL it .
    then GO to windows programs go to publicacess.exe, rename to acess.exx

you could go to www.ntfs,com, on another pc, download active bootdisk,demo,install it,install imgburn program, make an activebootdisk cdr
    windows livecd.set bios, to boot cd/dvd ,boot priority =o= cd. hd boot =3,3rd boot device.device boot 0= cd/dvd
    then GO to windows programs go to publicacess.exe, rename to acess.exx

see here http://uninstall-programs.quusoft.com/uninstall-public-access-desktop-6-1.html

use that to reset change the user admin password ,or make a new admin account first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

This Microsoft knowledgebase article explains how to start your laptop using 'Last Known Good Configuration' which should revert your laptop to the last settings that worked.

Article here

I agree use last known good configuration if you can get acess to it ,before you try activebootdisk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

sorry guys i didnt really explain very well.

This software has disabled last known good configuration and system restore!

Its not the user password I have forgotten, its the password to this programme, which has taken over it completely. When I turn the laptop on, it bypasses asking me for my computer user name and password, just goes straight to this software!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dannym08 wrote: »
    sorry guys i didnt really explain very well.

This software has disabled last known good configuration and system restore!

Its not the user password I have forgotten, its the password to this programme, which has taken over it completely. When I turn the laptop on, it bypasses asking me for my computer user name and password, just goes straight to this software!

Change the boot order to CDROM 1 in the bios- Whack in the original XP installation disk and choose the repair console?

Try cdrom windows repair option,, if you cannot do this for some reason, you could make a windows live cd ,active bootdisk ,as in my 1st post.

see here ,http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
    this makes a boot cd that allows you to to edit change the admin password on a windows os, xp,vista,win7 just read the faq ,walkthru very carefully be4 you do anything .
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654
    First try the windows cdrom repair R repair console, method.
    see above link.
    so you are saying,reboot f8 safe mode menu ,does not work on your pc.

ricman wrote: »
    so you are saying,reboot f8 safe mode menu ,does not work on your pc.

It will work as in it will start the PC in safe mode, but it doesnt solve the problem.

Ill try the varies solutions given above later on when I get a chance and ill get back to ye with an update.

Thanks everyone

press del usually to go to bios,advanced boot options,boot =cd=o,or cd,dvd =
    1st boot device .if you find the program, in c programs you could uninstall pcacess, or delete pcacess.exe, or try run, msconfig, untick pcacess program from start up.
    OR you could use registry editor to delete the pcacess from the registry,start,run reg.exe

thank you to everyone who gave any suggestions.

I got my laptop back!!

It turns out the software had created it own user-profile on my system, and was logging into that on system startup before I had a chance to log into my account. So, using the extremely helpful and wise advice of ricman, i was able to use the download link he provided to boot the computer and change the password of the account the software had created, thus preventing it from logging on, and allowing me to log on instead!!

thank you so much!!

• Advertisement

Thats good you got it working again, my advice is make 1 guest account in case a friend wants to use the pc ,use password like asd12 and write it down somewhere in case you forget it.

Advertisement