Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Car Seat

Options
  • 21-06-2010 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can recommend a car seat, we were looking at buying one second hand and was just about to ring a guy over a maxi cosi tobi, was doing a bit more research and seen that they have been 'voluntary' recalled in the US and loads more complaints about them here and in the uk, because the straps can be dodgy.
    Really can't believe this, did so much research on seats and now am doubting myself. We think its best to buy new now, just in case. All new maxi cosi tobi seats (from march 2010 have the strap thing recitified).
    Can anyone recommend a car seat, dont want to spend too much, but obviously dont want to compromise on safety and comfort.
    I know all carseats have to pass the same saftey regulations so I guess safety probably is a mute point, but the more i look at maxi cosi reviews there is loads about babies slipping their arms under straps unless they are really tight so this is the thing I want to avoid.
    As my bubs is a comfort king it must be comfortable too.

Thanks for any advise anyone can offer up, there is just to much choice out there and not to sure what to get.

Also I'd like it to look good too :o

Oh, if I do go second hand, there seems to be alot of Britax eclispe si's out there, anyone recommend these?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We have a Maxi Cosi Oxygen. It's lovely and comfortable and the baby is happy in it.

I wouldn't personally buy a secondhand seat from a stranger. Even a bang can compromise its safety.

Our seat sits into the wheels of the buggy we have for when he's older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Sorry Das Kitty, should have stated that its a forward facing one I want, he's just out of the baby one. 9mt to 3/4yrs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We have that too! Got a Maxi Cosi Axxis. It swings around to face the door so you don't have to lean in over with the child. Haven't used it yet but friends of ours have it and love it.

We got it on sale in Smyths a few months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

we got the graco one and so far its been perfect :) (looks good too) straps weren't tight but not too loose and at 11 months she hasn't got her arms out yet, although she is watching how we unclip the strap clips to get herself out, they are complicated enough for her though so im not too worried....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I bought this one about 2 months ago and bridget very happy in it.

Britax Elcipse Ellen
    was €134.99 now €99.99
    Better price in Smyths than online even on amazon.

H00645_M.jpg

Red is a nice unisex colour and my husband vetoed the pink anyway:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 boots73

+1 for the Maxi Cosi Axxis, it really makes a difference when kids get a bit bigger, much easier to sit them in cause the seat turns so you don't have to lift them over the side.

Keep an eye on Smyths, they usually hav best price locally in their sale. I bought mine online but sterling was low at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MissAlex

I have a Britax Eclipse si and never had any problems with it. Its easy to install, reclines and you can adjust the straps real easy, (had problems with a little escape artist for a while!), also washes well. It works off the 3 point adult belt or a centre lap belt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Grawns wrote: »
    I bought this one about 2 months ago and bridget very happy in it.

Britax Elcipse Ellen
    was €134.99 now €99.99
    Better price in Smyths than online even on amazon.

H00645_M.jpg

Red is a nice unisex colour and my husband vetoed the pink anyway:)

+1 for Britax, easy to install and sturdy, my daughter could sleep in it all night!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

boots73 wrote: »
    +1 for the Maxi Cosi Axxis, it really makes a difference when kids get a bit bigger, much easier to sit them in cause the seat turns so you don't have to lift them over the side.

Keep an eye on Smyths, they usually hav best price locally in their sale. I bought mine online but sterling was low at the time.

Just a note on the axiss. I wanted that one too but the girl in kealys said that they didn't stock them anymore because there had been a lot of complaints about the swivel being very difficult to use when the child got older and heavier. Have never used it so can't say myself.

I got the Tobi and like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I was just pleased the britax was only €99. Spent about €150 on her first seat as part of a travel system and never felt I got my moneys worth.

On another matter for those of you who have them, it might be worth investigating this voluntary recall of the tobi :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

The more i look into the recall, it was actually here as well, can't find anything from maxi cosi on it, but it seems that here any seats bought before march 2010 can be returned if faulty *if they are still under warranty*. Seems like loads of people just think that this is some sort of glitch and are ignoring it, but it seems to be a common problem, that the straps get stuck, or they are too loose. Lots of web pages on it, so wont put up one particular site. Do a search on maxi cosi tobi recall and it will bring up a good few interesting reading points.
    SEats bought in Tony Kealys and mothercare were affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Please think twice about buying a car seat second hand. You need to know the history of the car seat - how old it is & has it been involved in a crash? There was an issue with Tobi car seats but this has been corrected & the manufacturers have no problem checking the models. I would recommend bringing your child into a retailer & fitting them into a car seat on the shopfloor. Also check that the car seat will fit your car correctly. The straps on a car seat will always need adjusting as your child grows & all car seats nowadays have an easy pull tightener to ensure that the straps are snug. I have the Maxi Cosi Priori & find it excellent.

Advertisement